24" rear wheel ??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

24" rear wheel ??

ive been doing some wheel shopping, lookin at halo S.A.S.rims right now, the 48h. im thinkin about getting a 24 inch rear. i will be doin a lot of jumping, table tops at diablo, but there is also rocky trails there. i have a hardtail with a 5" drop off IV. will i need to change gearing if i do? Can anyone who has tried a 24 inch rear wheel on heavy freeride and trailriding let me know about their experiences? thak you.

mtbr member
    Well with the 24" rear wheel (if you have a 26" on the front) it will slackin your headtube and make the front end of the bike a bit higher also it will make decent's easier.

One problem with the 24" rear wheel is that it will be harder to roll over things like roots and large rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    hm,well, the thing that really scares me is fast rocky areas and i think a bulletproof 48h rear rim will give me confidence.and i will have a 26 in the front and a 2.7" tire in the front and a 2.5 in the rear.

I post too much.
    it will also lower your bottom bracket height, which may or may not be a good thing. Why don't you get a nice 36h rear rim instead? Properly laced it should last just as long.

Air Junkie
    Get the S.A.S. it's awsome! If you run a big 2.75-3.00 tire in the rear you wont need to change gearing or have any noticable fork rake. And it doesn't raise the front of your bike. I've tried it all 26/26 24/26 24/24. 24's are bomb proof. get it.

Glad to Be Alive
    keep your 26....better geometry for pedaling
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Meh.
    48h is overkill. I've had the 36h SAS, it was a fine rim. A little heavy, and the alloy was kind of soft, easy to put flatspots in if you don't keep your tire pressure up.

You'll lose a little speed through rock gardens. Geometry slackens, bb height drops. It really depends on the bike. Some bikes ride like @ss with a 26/24 setup.

Rather than spending the money on the rim, it might be more worthwhile to upgrade the fork instead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    well my rims are thrashed from alst season-i was just learning to ride rocky trails, so i need new rims reguardless. i might be trying to save some money for buying a dirtbike soon so i might as well treat myself to a nice new set of wheels before i crack down with the saving

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    if you decide to go 24 check out the Arrow Wide Bite. It rolls over obstacles just as well as a 26 and it's FAST as hell.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    what size tire will fit if my frame will fit a 2.7 x 26" tire? also im probably getting 26/24 halo combats to savea little monay.

Meh.
    Again, it depends. Some frames bow in, and actually can't fit a larger 24" tire. And it depends on the tire. Some tires are taller than others. Some tires are narrower than claimed, others larger.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    hmmm, well i think im goin to stick with some 2.5 hookworms, or 2.6 kinetics,im leanin towards the hook worms, how are they in dirt?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    you want a 6lb tire on your bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    well, wieght isnt a huge issue for me, although thre is many hills in my town the freeride park is accesable by lift and ive been getting in pretty good shape. but is the hookworm really 6lbs??

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    i was exxagertaing.. theyre close to 3..

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    alright, well i dunno what type of tire d oyou recommend that comes in 26 and 24, prefferably 2.5-2.7

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theoxymoron
    alright, well i dunno what type of tire d oyou recommend that comes in 26 and 24, prefferably 2.5-2.7
    Nevegal, Blue Groove, Highroller and lots more.
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

mtbr remember
    hookworms in dirt and rock gardens??? hmmm.. would you put a street motorcycle slick on your dirtbike? wouldn't recommend it.
    wouldn't necessarily recommend 48h wheels either.

if you're current wheelset is trashed and you're on a price point, get the Azonic Outlaws.

24" and 3.0 gazzas are old news on anythting that hits downhill gnar. keep the duece-quads on the street and dj's.
    Schralp it Heavy.

something typed here
    I have a 24" on the back of my bike and I love it. It rolls over the rocks just fine. It makes your acceleration faster which would be good for the dirt jumps. I also think that it rails corners better with the 24 on back. The slackened angle is great too, but that certainly depends on your bike and preference. Lower BB, but just make sure you have a bomb proof bash guard and you'll be fine. My opinion, I say go for the 26/24 combo. And I also think bikes with a 24 rear look sick! Also, as someone mentioned, check out Arrow tires. The Wide Bite is the best 24 tire Ive used. Problem with Arrow is that there is not really a matching 26" tire at the same width as the Wide Bite.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    im sure that i want a 24 on the rear now. im getting halo combat wheels, not sure on the tires yet

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by theoxymoron
    im sure that i want a 24 on the rear now. im getting halo combat wheels, not sure on the tires yet
    SAS is better than combat.

Hope you dig the set-up,
    but, just thought I'd note here how you seem to ignore EVERYBODY's recommendations that it isn't the greatest idea, while you just sit back and wait for ONE person to say they still rock that set-up and it convinces you immediately... haha, pretty funny, but goes to show how most people who post up these decision threads have already made the decision, but just want to put it out there as a question anyway.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Meh.
    I had the SAS. They are indeed better than the Combat. Soft alloy, remember to pump up your tires to prevent denting. Strong. Don't get the 48 hole... They're soooo useless.

Hookworms in the dirt? Common sense, my man. Plus they weigh a TON. Do you really need something super wide? It's just extra weight and extra rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Harder to roll over rocks and roots. also much harder to climb tech sections so if you do any trail riding/ trails that require climbing to access, id go with the 26. I have a 26'' mavic (i believe its a 327) and i have cased the hell outve doubles but as long as you maintain them properly by keeping the spokes tightened and trued, you shouldnt have a problem with life/durability issues.

Members who have read this thread: 0