mtbr member

2014 Manitou Dorado Expert vs 2012 Rockshox Boxxer World Cup...

Which would you rather run? I have the Dorado on my bike right now and really love it but also have a spare old Boxxer WC that is 0.7lbs lighter... Anyone ridden these back to back? What are you thoughts?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqxtJ2nB_F6/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq-HQDBhRRo/
    Last edited by mrpercussive; 1 Week Ago at 10:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive View Post
    Which would you rather run? I have the Dorado on my bike right now and really love it but also have a spare old Boxxer WC that is 0.7lbs lighter... Anyone ridden these back to back? What are you thoughts?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqxtJ2nB_F6/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq-HQDBhRRo/
    LOL! This sub-forum is dead, bro!

Poh, I haven't tested a Dorado fork but I have a 2011 WC on my bike. We should take out our big bikes and bomb down Chappy one of these days so you can test it out. FWIW, a non-Charger damped WC can be a bit harsh. Hit me up on FB.

Ron
    (owner of shiny old bikes)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ron m. View Post
    LOL! This sub-forum is dead, bro!

Poh, I haven't tested a Dorado fork but I have a 2011 WC on my bike. We should take out our big bikes and bomb down Chappy one of these days so you can test it out. FWIW, a non-Charger damped WC can be a bit harsh. Hit me up on FB.

Ron
    (owner of shiny old bikes)
    Let's do it man! I'm down! My bike is setup for a 130lbs rider though... hahahaha

mtbr member
    Let's do it man! I'm down! My bike is setup for a 130lbs rider though... hahahaha
    LOL! I may be fat but I'm sexier than Al @150 lbs. =P

Going to ride on Sunday. My daughter is joining that Oakland composite ride at 9 AM at the horse arena. I can bring my DH bike and we can do some laps. I am SUPER slow on the ups tho. =P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ron m. View Post
    LOL! I may be fat but I'm sexier than Al @150 lbs. =P

Going to ride on Sunday. My daughter is joining that Oakland composite ride at 9 AM at the horse arena. I can bring my DH bike and we can do some laps. I am SUPER slow on the ups tho. =P
    i'm going to be out for Sunday... girlfriend's parents are in town... maybe next week?

Flow
    I have ridden a 2015 dorado pro for 2 seasons and a 2014 boxxer r2c2 coil for 1 season. Dorado is a much better fork for me. The boxxer damper was not very good and was harsh and bottomed easily. Hitting the road gap at snowshoe bike park felt much more controlled on the dorado than the boxxer. Dorado with its hydraulic bottom out and vastly superior damper was a much smoother ride. However, I spent some time on a boxxer with a charger damper and thought it was a notch above the Dorado. I am 160lbs and raced cat 2 dh. Not the fastest rider on the mountain by any means but decent enough that I can generally tell when a fork is not set up correctly for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes475 View Post
    I have ridden a 2015 dorado pro for 2 seasons and a 2014 boxxer r2c2 coil for 1 season. Dorado is a much better fork for me. The boxxer damper was not very good and was harsh and bottomed easily. Hitting the road gap at snowshoe bike park felt much more controlled on the dorado than the boxxer. Dorado with its hydraulic bottom out and vastly superior damper was a much smoother ride. However, I spent some time on a boxxer with a charger damper and thought it was a notch above the Dorado. I am 160lbs and raced cat 2 dh. Not the fastest rider on the mountain by any means but decent enough that I can generally tell when a fork is not set up correctly for me.
    Awesome! Exactly the kind of info i was looking for! Thanks! Would you think it would have been any different if the boxxer had a air spring for the bottom out resist?

Flow
    Awesome! Exactly the kind of info i was looking for! Thanks! Would you think it would have been any different if the boxxer had a air spring for the bottom out resist?
    I don't know if having an air spring would have made much of a difference. I think the older boxxer's air spring is fairly linear as this was before the prevalence of tokens and other similar things. I suppose you could put some oil in the air chamber to reduce the volume and ramp up the rate but i never tried it as I did not have an air sprung boxxer. After riding a day at Snowshoe on the boxxer my hands and arms would be beat. After a day on the dorado, the fatigue was much less. Another difference from the boxxer to the dorado is the amount of lube oil in the lowers (or uppers for the Dorado) and how much that influences service intervals for optimal performance. I would change the lower oil and lube the bushings/wiper seals in my boxxer after every single park day and the difference was noticeable with even just one day of riding. The dorado with its 30ml+ of oil in the air spring side and open bath damper felt great for an entire season (so 15-20 or lift days for me).

mtbr member
    I don't know if having an air spring would have made much of a difference. I think the older boxxer's air spring is fairly linear as this was before the prevalence of tokens and other similar things. I suppose you could put some oil in the air chamber to reduce the volume and ramp up the rate but i never tried it as I did not have an air sprung boxxer. After riding a day at Snowshoe on the boxxer my hands and arms would be beat. After a day on the dorado, the fatigue was much less. Another difference from the boxxer to the dorado is the amount of lube oil in the lowers (or uppers for the Dorado) and how much that influences service intervals for optimal performance. I would change the lower oil and lube the bushings/wiper seals in my boxxer after every single park day and the difference was noticeable with even just one day of riding. The dorado with its 30ml+ of oil in the air spring side and open bath damper felt great for an entire season (so 15-20 or lift days for me).
    Cool! Yea I've decided to stay with the dorado but the weight weenie in me is wondering what if. Funny you mention the oil. My dorado seeps a little even after fresh seals and bushings. I always forget when i hose down the bike after a rain ride and it gets in my pads and i'd have to burn off the oil and bed them in again... did you used to have that issue as well?

Flow
    Yes I did. I got in the habit of wiping the lowers down before spraying off the bike. Honestly, I think the slight leak is a good thing as it carries the grit away from the seal.
    One downside of the dorado is when the air spring oil seal goes out, the brake gets badly contaminated with oil.

mtbr member
    Yes I did. I got in the habit of wiping the lowers down before spraying off the bike. Honestly, I think the slight leak is a good thing as it carries the grit away from the seal.
    One downside of the dorado is when the air spring oil seal goes out, the brake gets badly contaminated with oil.
    wiping down before hosing did the trick for the contaminated pads?

Flow
    No, wiping down the fork kept the oil off the pads. To get oil off the pads, put them in the oven for 20 min at like 400F. Burns the oil off. Same for the rotors. Let the rotors cool off i n the oven so they don't warp by cooling unevenly if you bring them into contact with something cold.