2011 fox vanilla 180 or bos ndee- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

2011 fox vanilla 180 or bos ndee

what would you guys go for, the new 2011 fox vanilla rc2 180 or bos ndee.
    i was all set on pulling the trigger on a bos ndee then i saw the pics of the new fox, i got to say they look sweet.
    does anyone know how much the new fox retail at.
    what would you choose if you had the cash,
    thanks in advance guys.

a bit more info not sure if this is needed, but here goes.
    i am not too fussed on weight, (i know the fox is lighter.) the forks will be going on my knolly dt, the bike is mostly used as my whistler bike, both in the park and xc rides. and may see occaisional use in the uk, (weather permitting, i usually use a hardtail if the weather is crap, less maintainance and easier to clean) i usually do the 1st 2 weeks and last 3 weeks of the season in whistler. i will probably do more park riding than xc riding though.
    again thanks for your advice.....

mtbr member
    I read an article about Morewood bikes who had a deal with Bos, but then they switched it to Fox because when they had to send the shocks for repairs, due to some reliability issues (which all shocks have) it would take much longer to deal with Bos than with Fox.
    But then again, it wasn't about the Bos being a bad shock, and I hear a lot of guys really liking them...
    Do you feel lucky? do you, punk?- Dirty Harry

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    reliability issues eh, is this just with the shocks or on the forks as well. i have not read any bad reports about bos forks yet, i can only find glowing reports. only gripe seems to be the price. does any one know if the bos ndee is reliable then. as i said already from the research i have done everyone seems to rate them highly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have a pair of ndees and got a really good on deal on them. Ive used them a fair bit but havent given them a constant 2 week Bikepark thrashing which really tests reliability. But til now the forks have been great, really smooth and plush and dont dive into their travel. People moan that you need tools for adjustment, but all you need is like the end of a screw driver, hardly difficult. Theyre fit and forget too.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Get an Avalanche or Elka.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    Fail.

On topic, you're going to have a hard time finding any unbiased ride reports on the Fox but judging from the reviews of the previous years' 36's - of which the 180mm should be quite similar too, it should be pretty good - but not OH-MY-GOD-MY-LIFE-HAS-CHANGED-FOREVER-good.

The Fox, if you get a Float, does have a huge weight advantage. You may not be a weight weenie, but a pound and a half over the Ndee is going to make a difference.

You also have to take into account whether or not your bike would go well with gold on it because it's going to make or break the deal with those flashy new fox stanchions. These things are important on high end bikes!
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarashi
    Fail.

On topic, you're going to have a hard time finding any unbiased ride reports on the Fox but judging from the reviews of the previous years' 36's - of which the 180mm should be quite similar too, it should be pretty good - but not OH-MY-GOD-MY-LIFE-HAS-CHANGED-FOREVER-good.

The Fox, if you get a Float, does have a huge weight advantage. You may not be a weight weenie, but a pound and a half over the Ndee is going to make a difference.

You also have to take into account whether or not your bike would go well with gold on it because it's going to make or break the deal with those flashy new fox stanchions. These things are important on high end bikes!
    funny you should mention that. i guess you havnt seen the colour scheme on my knolly then. it's black and gold. so the fox would fit right in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    thanks for your reply mate.... but i was refaring to forks not shocks. i already have a ccdb on the back.

mtbr member
    the advice of the weekend...
    Do you feel lucky? do you, punk?- Dirty Harry

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

lets go easy on the guy he was only trying to help. and i appreciate all help that i get.
    thats what i like about this forum you are a great bunch of guys, that offer good advice. unlike some of the other forums that are too clicky and anal.

Rubberneck Goose

Way to Go! Black and Gold Knolly!!

Well, I am in the same boat, and it sounds like great minds think alike. I'm planning my build on an XL Knolly Del-T (Still waiting somewhat patiently). I'm getting a black frame, putting the cane creek double barrel on the rear and am going with Fox 180 for the front. The gold and black combo is going to be deliciously beautiful! I considered the Ndee, but in the end decided to go with Fox for the prospective reasons of probable or I should say possible warranty/repair issues.

The rest of the gold black theme will include Industry-nine gold hubs/spokes laced to Mavic 729 rims. Gold Chris King headset. SRAM XO gold/black/carbonfiber deraileurs, Chromag FR bars (root-beer color) which actually looks gold and Formula The One brakes.

Do you have any other recomdations for further accentuating my Gold/Black combo? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian
    reliability issues eh, is this just with the shocks or on the forks as well. i have not read any bad reports about bos forks yet, i can only find glowing reports. only gripe seems to be the price. does any one know if the bos ndee is reliable then. as i said already from the research i have done everyone seems to rate them highly.

If it's close to what the iddyle is that it should have no problems. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on the iddyle when someone snatched a deal from my nose. They are open bath with good seals and can last a full season with no service. From all the info I've gathered they are much more hassle free than the fox's so if ndee is anywhere close I'd go that way.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Right im obviously going to suppor the Ndee again and there is a key difference between the 2 forks.

The Fox is a allmountain/semi freeride fork with added travel to make it more suitable for bikeparks. Its a Allmountain fork converted to a freeride fork.

The Ndee is a downhill fork with 20mm less travel made into a freeride fork. The fork has the same lowers as its triple crown brother so shares its stiffness. It also has the same damping as the downhill fork, which is very, very good. Like mentioned above i havent ridden it hard 2 weeks in a bikepark, but ive heard reliability is very good. Up til now though ive had no problems. Remember so many forks have had issues Travis, Totem, Zocchis the new Boxxer. This may be a naiv statement but I feel the price is justified in showing the quality of the product.

There will be a wankfest over the Fox forks ofcourse. Performance will no doubt be good but I think there may be an overall bias towards the fox forks.

My first statement is key though. If you were leaning towards a downhill fork and using it for DH courses but dont want the obviously constraints of a Dual crown fork then the Ndee is perfect. If you want a Fox 36 with more travel I would go for the new fox's. The weight factor is also something to consider. I doubt they couldve made the Bos any lighter by using "better" materials, they are, I assume, as good as it gets. The fox weighs 600gr less, so its basically 600 grams less strong.

Some of my points may seem simple and naiv but I think you get my overall view.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    thanks for the advice guys.......
    i have done the stupid thing and orderd the ndee, got to wait 3 days now for them to be snt to the shop from bos. why is wating for new parts so rap. i just want to get them fitted and go ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberneck Goose
    Well, I am in the same boat, and it sounds like great minds think alike. I'm planning my build on an XL Knolly Del-T (Still waiting somewhat patiently). I'm getting a black frame, putting the cane creek double barrel on the rear and am going with Fox 180 for the front. The gold and black combo is going to be deliciously beautiful! I considered the Ndee, but in the end decided to go with Fox for the prospective reasons of probable or I should say possible warranty/repair issues.
    The rest of the gold black theme will include Industry-nine gold hubs/spokes laced to Mavic 729 rims. Gold Chris King headset. SRAM XO gold/black/carbonfiber deraileurs, Chromag FR bars (root-beer color) which actually looks gold and Formula The One brakes.

Do you have any other recomdations for further accentuating my Gold/Black combo? Thanks!
    gold chromag seatclamp gold pedals. and depending on crank choice you could always throw in a gold bottom bracket

mtbr member
    May 2004
    thanks for the advice guys.......
    i have done the stupid thing and orderd the ndee, got to wait 3 days now for them to be snt to the shop from bos. why is wating for new parts so rap. i just want to get them fitted and go ride.
    Awesome, we look forward to some pr0n!

I'd've gone with the BOS too...not the biggest fox fan here.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    It's tough to choose between the 36 and Lyrik 170 DH. I might go with the latter, especially since one can mod it with relatively cheap MOCO parts when one expects to climb and needs a priority on that. Fox isn't very well known for producing full travel, or even having the physical capability to offer it, so I'm going to wait and see what people say about that. It might boil it down to 170 anyhow. I still don't see it as a Totem competitor. It's still a Lyrik competitor, however.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I still don't see it as a Totem competitor. It's still a Lyrik competitor, however.
    Very interesting point...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i will do, or at least i will if the foooooooooooooking bank will authorise my payment instead of blocking it. whats the world coming to when you cant even spend your own hard earned cash . bloody fraud block thing.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBS
    Right im obviously going to suppor the Ndee again and there is a key difference between the 2 forks.

The Fox is a allmountain/semi freeride fork with added travel to make it more suitable for bikeparks. Its a Allmountain fork converted to a freeride fork.

The Ndee is a downhill fork with 20mm less travel made into a freeride fork. The fork has the same lowers as its triple crown brother so shares its stiffness. It also has the same damping as the downhill fork, which is very, very good. Like mentioned above i havent ridden it hard 2 weeks in a bikepark, but ive heard reliability is very good. Up til now though ive had no problems. Remember so many forks have had issues Travis, Totem, Zocchis the new Boxxer. This may be a naiv statement but I feel the price is justified in showing the quality of the product.

There will be a wankfest over the Fox forks ofcourse. Performance will no doubt be good but I think there may be an overall bias towards the fox forks.

My first statement is key though. If you were leaning towards a downhill fork and using it for DH courses but dont want the obviously constraints of a Dual crown fork then the Ndee is perfect. If you want a Fox 36 with more travel I would go for the new fox's. The weight factor is also something to consider. I doubt they couldve made the Bos any lighter by using "better" materials, they are, I assume, as good as it gets. The fox weighs 600gr less, so its basically 600 grams less strong.

Some of my points may seem simple and naiv but I think you get my overall view.

The fox weighs 600gr less, so its basically 600 grams less strong.

LOL, engimaneer?
    2020 Santa Cruz Megatower

2019 Chromag Rootdown

2019 Specialized Stump-jumper EVO 29er

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R

all your base
    Fox isn't very well known for producing full travel, or even having the physical capability to offer it, so I'm going to wait and see what people say about that.
    I feel like they will have it sorted out. I weigh 160, my '10 talas definately sees full travel and i don't run tons of sag or minimal hs compression. Earlier 36s did seem to have trouble, I don't think my riding buddy with an 06 has EVER seen full travel.

Can't wait to see these knollys with der BOS on 'em!

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitboy
    The fox weighs 600gr less, so its basically 600 grams less strong.

LOL, engimaneer?
    Ha, check out the Tacoma Narrows bridge for more information about how heavy things are stronger.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yeah the 600 grams stronger thing sounds stupid, and technically it is, because obviously something isnt stronger than another because its heavier. I did mention that a few times in my post. BUT high end forks, assuming theyre both coil, a fork which is 600 grams heavier will quite obviously we stiffer and stronger. Yes thats not definite, but the old zocchis were heavier than competiton and they had the reputation of being bombproof.

Picture Unrelated
    Yeah the 600 grams stronger thing sounds stupid, and technically it is, because obviously something isnt stronger than another because its heavier. I did mention that a few times in my post. BUT high end forks, assuming theyre both coil, a fork which is 600 grams heavier will quite obviously we stiffer and stronger. Yes thats not definite, but the old zocchis were heavier than competiton and they had the reputation of being bombproof.
    You can't say "obviously something isnt stronger than another because its heavier"

Then say "a fork which is 600 grams heavier will quite obviously [be] stiffer and stronger"

I post drunk all the time, but maybe you should wait until a little later to start hitting the sauce. It's quite possible the heaver bos is stiffer, I don't know, I've never even seen one in real life. But if it were stiffer it's because of design differences in the arches, lowers, uppers, crown, whatever; not because it has more mass. We were just picking on you a bit, I'd probably quit while you're just slightly in the hole.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    The bos is an open bath design, so a good chunk of the extra weight is probably suspension fluid, which may help to keep the damping more consistent but won't make the fork any stronger.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    **** me, wish id never posted that

Back to basics. The Ndee has the same chasis as the dual crown fork. I own the Ndee and it is stiff as hell. Im assuming its a stiffer and stronger fork than the new fox 180's

Picture Unrelated
    **** me, wish id never posted that

Back to basics. The Ndee has the same chasis as the dual crown fork. I own the Ndee and it is stiff as hell. Im assuming its a stiffer and stronger fork than the new fox 180's
    There ya go, good ol' fashioned e-speculation is far more valuable than straight up fake science!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    thanks again for all your help and advice guys...... thats what i like about this forum, friendly bunch always willing to help abd with a bit of friendly banter too,

forks have now been orderd, and payed for (at last, had to use differant card) so i am hoping to have them early next week.
    i will try to get some pics up when they are fitted to the bike, and will give a review on them, once i have ridden them.

as for the 600 gramme weight thing. to me it's like this.
    when i got the knolly frame my intentions were to build the lightest knolly ever,
    so i chose my parts carfully. race face xc bar stem, mavic 719 rims hope pro 2 hubs, 09 xtr crank, sdg bel air titanium seat, controltech seatpost, hope seat collar. chris king devolution head set wellago magnesium pedals and sram x9 shifters and mech, sram chain and a shimano xt etype front mech. magura louise bat brakes. nevegal tyres. 08 fox 36 talas rc2 forks fox dhx air 5 shock.
    i was aiming for a 30lb build, but i now realise that it's like wanting a 12" penis you know it's never gonna happen . what i did achieve though was a respectable 35.5lb build.
    so i didnt come close to my 30lb dream.
    then on the knolly 1st trip to whistler, off went the bar and stem, on went a chromag ranger stem and fubar bars. off went the xtr crank on went a hammerschmidt and up went the weight, to 37lbs.
    on knolly second visit to whistler, off came the dhx air, and on went the ccdb, up went the weight to 38.4 lbs. and i guess it's going to be going up again when the ndee goes on.

so i guess when i am riding arround on a bike that is weighing in at arround 40lb another 600 grammes isnt going to matter is it. (i hope not anyway )

mtbr member
    thanks for your reply mate.... but i was refaring to forks not shocks. i already have a ccdb on the back.
    CCDB is the correct answer
    life is short STUNT IT!
    01 VW GTI VR6 12V
    VT V DUBER
    Mongoose Teocali all mountain
    Jamis Exile SS

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    sorry it's been along time coming, and sorry to be lazy and post a another link, instead of just putting up reviews and pics here, but i am being lazy lol, anyways there are pics gallore and a little write up in here about the forks.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=616711

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    here is another link, this is a little slide show that my brother put togeather, of us playing in the bike park.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDelcol.../0/KuKxfwvyQOw

and here is a quick vid i put togeather of me testing out the new fork on my local trails.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiKTAStBchI

mtbr member
    also keep in mind that FOX created the VAN for more gravity oriented riding that's why you see them on the full sus free ride rigs it isnt an air fork like the float series and i in my own oppinion think that the talas would be better suited for all mountain however since fox added the 180 mil to the roster it would be even more suited for free riding and downhill
    life is short STUNT IT!
    01 VW GTI VR6 12V
    VT V DUBER
    Mongoose Teocali all mountain
    Jamis Exile SS

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    You can't say "obviously something isnt stronger than another because its heavier"

Then say "a fork which is 600 grams heavier will quite obviously [be] stiffer and stronger"

I post drunk all the time, but maybe you should wait until a little later to start hitting the sauce. It's quite possible the heaver bos is stiffer, I don't know, I've never even seen one in real life. But if it were stiffer it's because of design differences in the arches, lowers, uppers, crown, whatever; not because it has more mass. We were just picking on you a bit, I'd probably quit while you're just slightly in the hole.
    zebrahum is my new favorite poster.

Also, Max, seriously dude? 600 grams lighter says to me "more FEA and engineers" which is undoubtedly true, not "600 grams less strong"

One is an open bath (heavy, lots of oil) and one is a semi bath (much lighter). Never heard of anybody complaining that the fox forks don't push enough oil, and they're probably some of the stiffest forks in the business.

And since when is the rc2 (same damper setup they have in their DH fork) suddenly "am/light freeride?" thats the most retarded thing I've ever heard. Should the CCDB only be used on am and trail bikes because it has very adjustable compression to suit your needs?

In short, I believe you have full bos on your bike, and are a proponent of biased reviews comparing forks you've never ridden in the hopes that maybe it will boost resale value on your own fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    dunno about you guys but iv seen what you can do on a 160mm van R, most SC forks from 2008-9 will die

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    up to now guys these bos ndee are really impressive, they are so smooth and plush, and track the ground so well, they are holding up to whistler bike park pretty well, and every one that sees them and asks about them all comment just how smooth they feel.
    most of the mechanics who have looked at them all say they are some of the smoothest plushest forks that they have felt.
    they feel amazing and have really bought the bike to life again they sit really high up in there travel and reamin quite plush through the full stroke, they dont dive through mid stroke like my talas rc2 did.
    though i still think the price is ridiculouse.
    i suppose the real test for these will come in september when i return to whistler and hit the garbanzo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hey Delirian, glad you like them id give the exact same feedback on mine. Had them for about 9 months but that doesnt reflect the correct riding time they should have cause of school and exams ...

The real test will be my trip to the alps for sure and I cant wait. Everyone whos had a shot of them always comments on how ridiculously smooth they are. I got them real cheap but the retail price is absolute ridiculous. The only way I thinkt the price could be justified is if they perform like this, faultless for 3 or 4 seasons.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i just cant praise these forks enough, they truely are amazing. they have taken everything that i and whistler have thrown at them. from long park descents through smooth trails like crank it up and b line. to more technichal rooty trails like devils club and angry pirate. even the drops on joyride jump park. the forks took it all no trouble, i havnt even managed to bottom them out yet.
    i have done a few x,c stints too and the bike climbs really well with these forks on. even though the dt is now weighing in at 41.6 pounds .
    simply put, though these forks are bloody expensive they wrok really well and up to now i am very impressed. are they wroth the ridiculous price tag, i guess that comes down to personal choice, i havnt paid for them yet, but the visa bill should be waiting for me when i arrive back home on sunday. i personally think they are overpriced compared to other forks in the 180mm single crown line up. but then again can you put a price on quality.
    only time will tell. i will keep the updates coming.

Members who have read this thread: 0