2011 demo 8 Red/white M- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

2011 demo 8 Red/white M

I am going to be selling my 11" demo frame Medium in about a week or so as I want to wait for the black frame when it comes out. I am going to be asking $2100.00 (retail 2600.00)out the door for it. Rode it roughly 4-5 times and pretty much new. There is some minor chain slap that is at a minimum because I have protective tape and guards on the frame. Everything is as it came from the factory and in fantastic condition. Hit me up if you are interested and I will send over pictures. I will be putting this baby on Ebay as well, possibly next week.

mtbr member
    How about creating a classified ad and paying the $2 fee before you start slingin' your gear on here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yup, in the works my friend. Have a great day.

mtbr member
    a. Instead of waiting for the black frame to come out, make sure your shop has one on order and reserve one. My guess is that those frames will be as rare as that Sam Hill 2010 Demo 8 frame was so before you put all your eggs in one basket make sure you have a basket to put your eggs in. Or you might be waiting a long time for a frame that'll never come.

b. Regardless of how good a condition your "barely ridden with some chain slap" frame is, asking $2100 for it is a little outrageous. $2100 will buy someone a pretty dialled and complete used bike, a BRAND NEW frame, or be a huge chunk of a new complete bike. So good luck. Not trying to be an a$$ hat man, just being realistic and honest and having very recently selling an incredibly dialled 2010 Demo 8 with fresh rebuilds/bleeds for $2700.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

UNDEAD
    "want to wait for black frame when it comes out" ????
    Dude sorry to say but unless you've had that frame on order since Fall and some serious contacts at Spec or your LBS, you are not getting one.

Like posted above, don't let your frame go unless you know for a fact you are getting a replacement.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Appreciate the input. This might be a big roll of the dice. I have to disagree with dudeness though, I don't think 2100.00 for the frame is crazy talk. 3K for Turner, M9, Santa Cruz. I have seen the frame retail for 2200 to 2500 plus tax, or an extra 200.00 bucks.Of course you can get an old bike for much less if that is what you are after. I had the 08 demo, 2010 demo, and now this...and I would never go back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjdthunder
    Appreciate the input. This might be a big roll of the dice. I have to disagree with dudeness though, I don't think 2100.00 for the frame is crazy talk. 3K for Turner, M9, Santa Cruz. I have seen the frame retail for 2200 to 2500 plus tax, or an extra 200.00 bucks.Of course you can get an old bike for much less if that is what you are after. I had the 08 demo, 2010 demo, and now this...and I would never go back.

If you've seen the frame retail from 2200 to 2500 don't you think anyone here would be more than willing to pay an extra 100-400 for something completely brand new vs. something that may be in great shape in your eyes but might just be a little haggard to someone elses? I personally wouldn't pay more than 1800 for a used one and I currently own a 2011 and know how great the bike is. My 2010 was stuffed to the gills with literally a 6-7k build and I only got 2700 for it. The bike was in beautiful shape by the way.

And yeah, seriously, it will be a throw of the dice, one that you might not win. I would definitely call up your shop or whoever is going to be doing your frame order and make sure that they absolutely positively have one and have palced their orders months in advance. Those frames wereprobably a one time run, very limited production, and I don't beleive they'll be making any more.
    Last edited by his dudeness; 03-24-2011 at 04:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    First of all, I would hardly say that a bike that has been ridden 4 times is haggard by any stretch, of course we will let the end user decide from pictures. Or taking a look in person which is the only way for anyone to verify this subjective issue and of course they are the final judge. Also, take into account tax,on 2200.00, you are looking at bike that is 2200.00 plus 192.50 at the current tax rate so you are looking at more of a 292.00 dollar savings minimum not 100.00 bucks. As far as past sales and other demos, I would never sell a whole bike because you are going to get ripped no matter how you slice it.

Glad to Be Alive
    First of all, I would hardly say that a bike that has been ridden 4 times is haggard by any stretch, of course we will let the end user decide from pictures. Or taking a look in person which is the only way for anyone to verify this subjective issue and of course they are the final judge. Also, take into account tax,on 2200.00, you are looking at bike that is 2200.00 plus 192.50 at the current tax rate so you are looking at more of a 292.00 dollar savings minimum not 100.00 bucks. As far as past sales and other demos, I would never sell a whole bike because you are going to get ripped no matter how you slice it.
    no way my friend....if the frame alone is 2500...no way I am paying you 2100 for a frame with no warranty (not original owner) I'd rather buy new just for piece of mind

now probably that frame is worth 1700 or so...maybe lower..you rode it...it lost value plain and simple...just powdercoat it black....and you are fine..for 2100 I recommend nobody buy it and sling extra money for warranty

FURTHERMORE...when you signed up for this forum ..it specifically said no ads or trying to sale things...they give room with an ad....but you are in violation
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 03-24-2011 at 04:14 PM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    no way my friend....if the frame alone is 2500...no way I am paying you 2100 for a frame with no warranty (not original owner) I'd rather buy new just for piece of mind

now probably that frame is worth 1700 or so...maybe lower..you rode it...it lost value plain and simple...just powdercoat it black....and you are fine..for 2100 I recommend nobody buy it and sling extra money for warranty

FURTHERMORE...when you signed up for this forum ..it specifically said no ads or trying to sale things...they give room with an ad....but you are in violation
    I agree with SMT. Selling a used frame for a hundred less than retail is just retarded. And paying $2200 plus $192 in tax to get something brand new, unscratched, and with a warranty is what I would call a good deal, your selling price is what I would call a ripoff since there is hardly any savings and you get used, scratched, and no warranty.

As SMT said... Paint your frame black. You can have the powdercoater strip the frame and repaint it exactly how you want it (even with the painted on Specialized lettering/graphics). You'd lose your warranty naturally, but be guaranteed to get a "black" demo. If you sell your frame and hold out for the all black one you will probably be demo-less this year unless of course you pony up and buy new the exact frame you just had. You may get lucky, and hopefully you do, but that run of monster green Sam Hill 2010 demo's last year was something around 150 and that quantity was spread around the world. Chances are pretty likely that this demo frame is also a special run and not for regular productio., Once again the limited quantity will be spread worldwide and not all to the US. Maybe the US will get lucky and have 40-50 frames. Spread that between 50 potential states, the fact that mountain states like Colorado and California will take the lions share, and generally only to the top Spesh dealers from that will be able to buy them.

So, good luck little buddy.

mtbr member
    Not to beat a dead horse, I just sold my almost new Banshee Legend MKII frame for $2200.00. The frame retails for close to $3K, had literally 3 rides, and I included a new CCDB, a new Ti spring, Cane Creek headset, and Raceface Atlas bars. If you really want to sell your frame, you should probably bring down your asking price.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I can appreciate both of your comments but Rip off is laughable. You have to realize, I expect people to make offers, no one is going to pay asking ever. Even so, it is still cheaper than anything else out there. If someone likes what is being sold and they want to save 300-400 hundred bucks then it makes sense for that person. Nuff said.

mtbr member
    If it was black, it "might" be another story.

mtbr member
    Apparently once you want to go black you don't want to go back.

brake later, pedal sooner
    i gave up on the black frame and got a white & red instead.

last i heard, they only had 16 black frames in for the west coast area shipment waiting in customs, and already had over 50 people on the list.
    i also met a guy on pinkbike from taiwan who has a black frame - his friends work at the factory and he said that they only made a batch of ~50 of them... total.
    i also contacted specialized and asked about it and they said it was a late production run so quantity is limited...

i had put my order in late january, but i still didnt risk it. i gave it up and now i'm riding, happily.

like others have said, even your asking price is too high. not original owner = no crash replacement pricing or warranty.

mtbr member
    Same as above.

Ordered a black in Dec. At the end of Feb. my shop said the wait is going to be even longer, but they snatched up a flow-yellow for me if I wanted to change my mind. Ive been riding for the past 2 weeks and don't regret it at all.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    I know how you can settle this. create the ad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoe671
    Same as above.

Ordered a black in Dec. At the end of Feb. my shop said the wait is going to be even longer, but they snatched up a flow-yellow for me if I wanted to change my mind. Ive been riding for the past 2 weeks and don't regret it at all.
    Which I find to be the hottest color for the Demo, then the red-white. I don't see the appeal of the black one, maybe that it's a limited run.

Stray Bullet
    F-ing poser, you going to ride or look at your bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoe671
    Same as above.

The black one is better at freeride, big jumps and is easier to put in pick up trucks. The yellow one on the other hand tends to go faster and is easier to jump low, it also racks up on chairlifts easier. I hope you made the right choice!
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

mtbr member
    Let this guy do what he wants. He will never sell that frame for anywhere near his asking price.
    Like other said, $1700 is about all it's worth.
    Too many toys, not enough time.

Ricky DH
    Back about 2 years ago, i was trying to sell a never built "still in the box" Canfield CanDiggle. Retail on that thing was 2,275.00. I was asking 1,800.00 for it, and I got one offer for1,200.00. I told that guy to "shove it" and built it up for myself. I'm very happy I didn't sell it by the way, great bike.

So anyway, yeah, you'll never get anywhere close what you're asking for it but good luck, i do hope you can get enough to at least feel good about the sale.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty pleased with my black and gold Demo. Might not have the jedi skills of an all black one but it's still faster than I'll ever be.

UNDEAD
    Poor MJDThunder....welcome to MTBR I guess?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    LOL, with that beating I feel like i have been hazed or jumped into a gang hahaha. Thanks for the warm welcome. Everyone has an opinion and that is cool but as one wise man said in the string...post it and see what happens. The most important thing is get a price that you, the seller, are happy with and that the buyer is good with as well. If someone makes me an offer and it makes sense for me...I will take that all day long. Will I get asking for it...not likely and I do not expect to. Who knows, I might have to hit up some of the boys over seas. Trust me, I will let all the homies know what it sold for and you can rip me or give me props at that time.

mtbr member
    Well, good luck sir. I hope you are able to wait in a very long line of people who are already on a priority list for that frame. As others have said, if you haven't laid your claim to one yet (most importantly, if your shop hasn't yet) you really don't have much of a chance. When they run out they run out, no second production run. If ustemuf is right and there's only 50 frames made, and 16 going to the west coast you can be almost guaranteed that they've all been spoken for with cash deposits a long time ago.

I say keep your frame... It's entirely possible that by the time you put all your effort into getting a frame you won't get and sell your other one, there might not be any of the blk/yellow or white/red available either. Bike companies don't keep churning out bikes all year round.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Good looking out Dudeness, I def. have a back up plan. Cant be without this beast for too long for sure.

mtbr member
    Good looking out Dudeness, I def. have a back up plan. Cant be without this beast for too long for sure.
    Heck no. That's a bad muther of a bike

mtbr member
    Ok, I'll offer you $1700 for it...
    This won't hurt a bit...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by santaheckler
    Ok, I'll offer you $1700 for it...
    Hahaha, after having followed this thread I couldn't help but crack a smile and laugh at this. If you do get it for $1700 you should get it powdercoated matte black and post up pics, just for shits and giggles.

GAME ON!
    get it pc'ed for a couple hundred and you'll be ahead of the game "LOLZ GAIS LOOK WHAT I CAN HAZ FROM SPEC ED! ZOMFG BLACK DEMO FTW"

18 years old
    Feb 2005
    Can I see one of these black frames?
    Quote Originally Posted by irieness
    ...it's just that when I'm wondering what things are like head tube, seat post, cranks, flux capacitor, SS, FS, hardtail...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyStryker
    Can I see one of these black frames?

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ExCactus
    If you do get it for $1700 you should get it powdercoated matte black and post up pics, just for shits and giggles.
    I approve this plan. Make it so!

mtbr member
    This is a great way to get out of paying $2 for a classified ad.
    Too many toys, not enough time.

Members who have read this thread: 0