2010 Glory Trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2010 Glory Trail

woops

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Woops, posted as my wife again...

So I just finished building up the new ride that I bought after having my Transition Blindside stolen. Being that lift served is over for the season and even most shuttles don't require a true DH rig, I took some liberties to make it a full blown trail bike. I think it will be awesome in Moab.

2010 Glory Frame (Med)
    DHX RC4 - 450lb spring (still wondering if I should go to a 400lb)
    Totem Coil
    Hammerschmidt AM 170mm cranks, running 24t right now
    Deity Decoy Pedals
    Truvative 780mm BooBar (wow this thing is wide!!)
    Avid Elixers 203 rotors
    Lizard Skin Peaty grips, with blue ODI clamps
    X9 shifters
    X0 Rear Der
    XT cassette 11-34
    Gravity Dropper 4" & 1" drops
    WTB Silverado SLT Saddle
    Chris King Hubs
    Stans Flow Rims
    DT Supercomp spokes
    Hutchinson Barracuda 2.3 tires

37.4lbs with tubes on a bathroom scale. Will update when I switch it to tubeless and get it on a better scale, but I think this is very close to accurate.

Thanks to Go-Ride, SRAM, and others for helping me make it happen so quickly at a good price.

mtbr member
    Wow,
    Thats a really nice build up!
    And you right those BooBar's are really wide!

Glad to Be Alive
    man that looks real nice
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Yeah the Boobar REALLY is wide. BTW, how are you liking those Hutchinson Barracudas?
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

clyde in training
    that is one of my dream bikes. nice work!

Ok
    Sweet bike!

Roll on Spring Time!
    Let us know how it feels pedaling with seat raised relative to BB, wondering if you will feel like you are too far behind the pedals.

mtbr member
    Wow! Damn! shiit! balls!

should know better.....
    Beautiful bike. Well done.
    That rear triangle is sexy.
    "Always Ride."

-Anthony S.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks for the positive vibe, I know this thing is a bit out there in setup, but the geo feels really good. I was debating between this, a Jedi, and a Can-Diggle (outside option). The high praise I heard for this bike jumping won me over, and it's weight while still feeling thicker than a Session. I can't wait to test it later today.

JP - While the seat angle is super steep, it starts so much ahead of the BB that it doesn't feel that far back. Also, I'm running the saddle way forward and the GD is not a setback post. Riding around the house, other than the insanely wide bars, it feels like stiffer, more plush version of my Reign X. That's what I was going for after Whistler on the X.

I can't wait to get it into a pedaly rock section so I can feel how the Hammerschmidt does with Maestro. Other than not having an extra cable guide for it, The HS fit this frame like it was made for it. The new Reign X's have the ISCG tabs rotated so far counterclockwise that you would need to mod the HS a bit to use the chain guide, and the cable would route straight up.

SB - I've been running the UST version of these tires for over a year on the Reign X and for the most part they have been great. I bought the non-UST's by accident, but they still feel pretty burly. We'll see. The tread suits my style. Just toss the bike into the corner and trust. I liked the old Octopus' a bit better because they were more flat across the top so they felt better going straight and engaged a bit quicker. BTW - not the best rolling rear tire, I was going to run a 2.4 Ardent back there, but decided to stick to something I knew would work and not flat, almost ever Overall I give them an A- for Utah, but I haven't found an A tire yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Whats with the Totem?

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    I'm an XC/Trail person rocking out an upgraded entry-level hardtail, so I really don't know too much about bigger fullies. But DAMN that looks pretty. That chain guide/bashguard looks like it will take a beating. Cheers!
    Go ride your bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tuumbaq
    Whats with the Totem?
    You're right, a trail bike shouldn't need more than a Lyric

I had the Totem from another bike, so it was cheaper. Actually may leave it though cause it's not a bad fork. I'll give it till next Spring before rushing to replace it. Honestly I'm initially stoked on the geo with it.

mtbr member
    wow man awesome build. the hydroforming on these new giants is pretty wild.
    2009 Fisher Paragon
    XT Cranks, C29ssmax's, PG-990 11-34
    2.25 Racing Ralphs tubeless via Stans
    Truativ NOIR Carbon Riser

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler
    Actually may leave it though cause it's not a bad fork. I'll give it till next Spring before rushing to replace it. .

Wrong, it is a poor performer in terms of damping.They may have solve their reliability issue but the damper itself isnt great.It has almost ZERO small bumps compliance, into a 40mm stanching 1.5 chassis = bad news.It's nearly impossible to make that thing track like a real fork should do.

I still dont get it why people are running those,suspensions are the most important part on your bike after the frame. Would you run cheapo shocks on a fancy 911?

I didnt realized this was your HEAVY trail bike, it may suit you, but I still think no one deserve these.A lowered Fox 40 or Boxxer " would perform better and since its already a DH bike, it wouldnt really make a big difference for trail riding.

Nevertheless , you got nice bike but you get a different fork for it.

Stray Bullet
    Hutchinson Barracudas great tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    When can you take it ride and report back how the Hammerschmidt and the Maestro suspension work together? I have a Faith 0 on order and trying to decided if I should get a Hammerschmidt. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Wrong, it is a poor performer in terms of damping.They may have solve their reliability issue but the damper itself isnt great.It has almost ZERO small bumps compliance, into a 40mm stanching 1.5 chassis = bad news.It's nearly impossible to make that thing track like a real fork should do.

I still dont get it why people are running those,suspensions are the most important part on your bike after the frame. Would you run cheapo shocks on a fancy 911?

I didnt realized this was your HEAVY trail bike, it may suit you, but I still think no one deserve these.A lowered Fox 40 or Boxxer " would perform better and since its already a DH bike, it wouldnt really make a big difference for trail riding.

Nevertheless , you got nice bike but you get a different fork for it.
    This is bizarre.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Nice bike I demoed one at Interbike this year, and was pleasantly surprised by how well it performed.

mtbr member
    *blah blah blah*It has almost ZERO small bumps compliance, into a 40mm stanching 1.5 chassis = bad news.It's nearly impossible to make that thing track like a real fork should do.*blah blah blah blah blah*
    What?
    Are you sure you were riding a Totem, not a drop off triple?

Petty and weak
    He's kinda right although a bit over the top. Small bump compliance is fairly crap on Totems until you remove the floodgate, and then it's GAME ON!! My "Reptile" thread here shows video of my modified Totem enduring a 20 kilometre XC ride through some very harsh terrain.

My Totem performed immaculately on that ride as a long travel XC fork, I used all the travel on a few occasions yet had no bob and great small bump compliance and tracking , all thanks to the floodgate mod.
    ~ Downride and Freehill, nothing else ~

mtbr member
    Nice bike!! That frame is a medium, how tall are you? I am looking at buying the new glory but can't decide on a large or medium size. I am 6ft tall and am in between sizes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I'm not gonna judge your sizing cause my use of this bike is way out of the ordinary. I'm 5'10" and this is the exact size I wanted, but I'm an engineer and knew the exact dimension bike I wanted. For those who question their sizing, I would say find a built bike and test ride it. Having the wrong size frame sucks.

Day 1 ride report:

Normal bike of choice on this trail: 35.5lb Reign X with this Totem
    Terrain: lots of quick, tight corners, where you need to really lay the bike over to go fast. Also a few nice doubles/step-downs/step-ups, 15 feet max. One fast rough section.

This thing likes to jump...a lot! I probably need a 400 lb spring because it took a very large jump, to hard case, to get close to using all the travel. This was with all the compression damping almost totally off, the bottom out adjustment full open, and with only 130psi in the boost valve. All said, it still felt sooo buttery compared to the Reign X. I forgot to get someone to check out the sag with me on it. The bike actually feels super nice as is for just a poppy quick burly trail bike, especially with the Totem. I can't believe I'm saying that about an 8" travel DH frame.

[As for the Totem hate - Best small bump fork I've ever ridden was my pimped out '05 888RC, but some d1ck stole it!! Even so, it was 7.25lbs. The Totem w/mission control isn't ideal for small bumps, but it's great for everything else and will be perfect for my use of this bike, for now. I'm looking forward to trying it with the DH damper installed. If it's still not plush enough, I'll look into a Boxxer for Whistler. I very much support SRAM and will continue to because they treat their customers great. Also, don't worry, you'll never need to ride this bike]

Hammerschmidt is da ****!! Seriously everyone should get one. It shifts so fast that you actually use that huge shift way more than you would think. If I was building a Faith, I'd check the fit and install one if I could make it work On the shuttle laps today, I would just leave it near the smallest end of the cassette, and shift the front back and forth in the corners. I was worried about the 24/38 spacing, but it feels really nice. As for pedal feedback, I only feel a touch while climbing slowly. Just like the Reign. Once you are moving there is so much else going on that I don't notice it at all and I was trying to feel it. I think the fact that the wheel is moving so fast and there are natural dead spots in your pedal stroke means that there is enough slack in the chain system that it's just not very noticeable. It feels like every pedal stroke is power - probably the light wheels!

The weight is ridiculous cause the thing is almost as flicky as my Reign X was, maybe more with the HUGE bars. They really are massive. I'm running 4" shorter bars on the X and this was a big change, but as I adjusted it was more fun all the time. It really gets your weight forward, and tight corners take a lot of english to rotate them around, but then they tip the bike so perfectly it's hard to complain. I'll keep them as is for a while and see how I feel after Moab. I may move some more spacers under the stem cause that front end is low.

I need to put it on a better scale, but when I weighed it after going tubeless and adding frame protection it came in at 37 even.

For lift served I'll get some Outlaws or something that I can beat on instead of destroying the Flow's that I spent hours carefully building. Also, I have a fixed length seatpost with saddle that I'll swap in.

STOKED doesn't start to cover my feelings about this ride. With most new bikes, I have a few days of wondering if I made the right choice, but not this time. I know everyone must wonder what I'm thinking bastardizing a DH bike, but with my friends, this is how we roll. One good friend rides a Can-Diggle setup 7"x8" as his XC bike and just kills it. He still has a DH bike too. Others are on VP-free's, Session's, or Jedi's with similar build intents to mine. I'll keep the Reign X(w/Lyric, maybe a '10 frame next season) for my real XC/trail/jump bike, since even on a XC ride it's all about pinning it wherever you can. For most traveling weekends, the Glory "Trail" will be all I bring.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Sweet rig!

Did you ever get to ride the old style glory? How does it feel compared to that bike?

I have a reign X as well which I love. Does the glory still corner as good as the reign X?
    2020 Santa Cruz Megatower

2019 Chromag Rootdown

2019 Specialized Stump-jumper EVO 29er

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R

Roll on Spring Time!
    Why Glory and not Faith for this application? 7" of travel would put you between the RX and Glory and Geo for more pedaling. Just curious. I never liked the look of the old Faith but the new one is sick, well its just like an RX and Glory.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I rode the old Glory in a parking lot only, so I can't compare. I bought this bike based on my last two seasons on a RX. I was originally going to get a Faith, as I wanted a very flicky bike but after riding my RX in Whistler for a week with a bunch of guys on bigger bikes, I changed my mind. After all, 1/4" isn't much more travel than the RX. Also, both frames were the same weight and I liked the TT length of the Glory.

Does it corner as well as your RX, hard to say, the large bars do start to get in the way on tight corners.

One thing I haven't mentioned is that I think the HT is more slack than the spec, based on my rough measurements. I wonder if they tweaked it right before production and didn't get that info out. Also the BB with this fork is 14" or just under that. I think the geo feels good for me.

bikes, bikes, bikes!
    Apr 2009
    Why not just ride the Fiath? Or the Reign X? Seems like way too much travel for a trail bike. Like the flow rims tho... I'm building a wheel set with flow and hopes for my 06 glory!

Members who have read this thread: 0