2010 Demo 8 reviews-WANTED- Mtbr.com
    UNDEAD

2010 Demo 8 reviews-WANTED

Can't find jack....I've stumbled upon some lame articles amongst the internets but nothing of any value.

Anyone riding the 2010 Demo 8 (new geometry tweaks/RC4)
    I'm looking for a first ride report type of thing

Thoughts?
    How does it handle vs. previous?
    Pros/Cons
    Crankset reccomendations/issues (are 175mm to big?)

I've got mine on order just getting a little anxious here...
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    I have a 2010 Demo 8 II with the RC4. It's a size large. I built mine up from a frame, put a fox 40 on the front.

Having not owned the older generation demo 8, just a demo 7, I can't answer how it compares. It does however feel much better than my old demo 7. My demo 7 had the dhx5 shock and it seemed to pack up on chatter and braking bumps. The new shock is much more tuneable and doesn't have this problem. In corners the bike is an absolute rocket, the lower bb and slacker geo make for a very stable bike that rails berms.

I haven't taken it off many jumps so I really don't have an answer for you. I haven't really taken it to a ski resort to really test the bike up because... well there's snow out there.

I have 170mm cranks with a Gamut p40 guide, I notice the low bb. I haven't clipped a pedal on anything yet but I feel that I will when I get to Northstar and get into some rocks. I'm thinking of swapping to 165mm cranks. Your 175's might be a bit long for this bike.

So, where do you ride, what bike are you upgrading from, what is the terrain like where you're at, what kind of rider are you?
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

UNDEAD
    Thanks for the info

Coming from a 2007 Demo 7 one that I loved. Sold the frame and building up a Demo 8 similiar to what you did.
    My everyday bike a 2009 SX Trail, so that should give you a pretty good idea of what style rider I am...DH/FR
    Not a jumper, but who can pass up a nice drop from time to time??
    Mostly this will be built up with speed in mind. DH runs

The Demo 8 will be built up with:
    Totem Coil (Boxxer possibly in future, but I am a big fan of burly single crowns)
    '10 SAINT brakes and R. Derail.
    Truvative 170mm Cranks (the ones that came on my Demo 7)
    And other goodies, etc.

This will be my DH sled, everything from Whistler to my home Socal riding.
    I had a DHX 4.0 on my Demo 7 and it just felt like crap after a couple years of abuse, even with proper adjustment. I noticed that packing up from time to time on my Demo 7 and would just try to adjust it out but never quite got there.
    The RC4 really sounds nice to that effect.
    Good to hear it rails the corners...with the new geo. I should hope so.

So bottom line, it's better than a Demo 7 in terms of agility and handling?

mtbr member
    I would say that it wont be as nimble as a demo 7 on slow speed stuff. But when it's going fast it's much more capable. The bike loves corners, Just remember proper pedal and body position and the bike will rip. It changes direction nicely, holds a line very well, and is very fast.

I would recommend a Boxxer for the front over the single crown. If you're going to be building up a dh sled, might as well have full blown dh spec on it.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

UNDEAD
    True

I figure I'll try the Totem and if it feels funky (loved it on the Demo 7) then I will switch it out for a Boxxer.

Thanks for the positive feedback, looking forward to the first ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've got one, and it is definitely a sick bike. Rails the corners and is super stable when the going gets fast and rough. I have ridden a demo 7 as well, and this bike blows it away in every aspect. I'm running 170mm cranks and don't have problems hitting my cranks on anything. If you have the option, I would definitely get a boxxer. Unless you just want the look of a single crown fork, there is no reason to have one as the axle to crown height is the same but you get an extra inch of travel, better feeling suspension, and a much stiffer fork. I had a totem on my dh bike for a few months last year, and once I switched to a boxxer, i would never go back. Enjoy the new ride, you'll be stoked on it.

Members who have read this thread: 0