2010 Demo 8 build - wheels?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2010 Demo 8 build - wheels?

So I've got a Demo 8 frame on order and am planning to build it up and am looking for opinions on wheels.

I've been reasonably happy with DT rims on my Enduro, but I upgraded to '09 Mavic Crossline wheels (basically Crossmax SX but a bit heavier/cheaper) and am loving them! Super burly, great engagement on the new hub (a bit of maintenance req'd, but no biggie), and they look good.

Hence, I'm thinking of putting some DeeMax wheels on my Demo build. Would the dish be ok on those? And I think the hub would work with a 10mm bolt-on axle kit from Mavic?

mtbr member
    Buy hadley hubs laced to mavic 823 rims are the way to go or use a haldey rear hub and a hope front hub laced to 823 rims too save a bit of cash.. Dee max wheels are cool but the hubs are not great. 823 rims are deemax rims with out the cut outs they do on the deemax rims now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    My friend pulls spokes out of his (pre 09) deemaxes on a pretty regular basis. Don't know if that still happens with the newer ones, but its a stupid risk/thing to have happen. Those wheels end up getting trued after pretty much every ride.

2nd'd on the hadly 823 combo.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by daisycutter
    Buy hadley hubs laced to mavic 823 rims are the way to go or use a haldey rear hub and a hope front hub laced to 823 rims too save a bit of cash.. Dee max wheels are cool but the hubs are not great. 823 rims are deemax rims with out the cut outs they do on the deemax rims now.
    H
    adleys....can say enough about customer service and durability....I F I was building a bike Hadleys we be my first and only choice in hubs....and yes the 823's
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    rider weight, aggression level, dh experience and terrain will help answer this question with a better result. guys like me do not need that heavy of a wheel. guys like smt could not last 1 run on mine.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    I've got the 2009 Deemax's on my 09 Demo 8 and I have no complaints. I've dished the wheel and it's had no problem with pulling spokes or going out of true (stayed true for just about a year now). As for the axle, i'm using Azonic Momentum 12mm to 10mm conversion axle. I initially used the Atomlab conversion axle but I wasn't pleased with it (corrosion).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    rider weight, aggression level, dh experience and terrain will help answer this question with a better result. guys like me do not need that heavy of a wheel. guys like smt could not last 1 run on mine.
    Good call, sorry for the lack of info.
    I ride pretty hard, but am pretty smooth too. DT 5.1s lasted me over 1 season on my Enduro, and my new Crosslines are holding up really well, even with a couple days in the WBP on the Enduro I like to go fast, but I'm not a plower. Can ride everything at Whistler no problem, and pretty fast. Expert level racer.
    I go to school up in Vancouver and ride the Shore / Whistler etc., but I'm likely spending summers back home in California (way smoother, except for Northstar).

and kellyn7, you just dished them by tension, not with shorter spokes? 6mm seems quite a ways to pull the rim over..

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    then do what smt & daisy said. will be worth it big time. might be a bit much for cal but ya wont be buyin new stuff all day while back home or on the road. dt's dh hoop will be too soft but their spokes rule. use brass nips, and oh... and its all in the builders talent so dont skimp there. trust his imput on spoke choice as his style may be what makes or breaks the package.
    No, I'm NOT back!

banned
    Oct 2004
    Not sure if you need 36 hole hubs, but eBikeStop has some i9 150mm hubs for ~$250. I personally run Hadleys/729s, but also have a set of DeeMax.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coldawg
    and kellyn7, you just dished them by tension, not with shorter spokes? 6mm seems quite a ways to pull the rim over..

Yep, no change in spoke length. I was actually worried about the same thing so I took the wheel to my LBS and they did it for me, all in about 15 minutes. I've had better luck with this Deemax set then I did with my Mavic 721's laced to Hadleys (great hubs, just too soft of rim for my type of riding).

Members who have read this thread: 0