2010-12 Reign X Freeride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2010-12 Reign X Freeride?

I've seen plenty of discussion on downhilling with older Reign X models and lots of build specs.

Is anyone out there freeriding with this stock bike?

I ask because, beside my hardtail, I'm in the market for a do-it-all full suspension Giant and it was love at first sight with the 2012 Reign X1.

I'm a bigger rider, athletic at 6'3" and 210lbs. I love drops, gaps, and generally riding involving speed and air. The problem is that I live in East Texas. I need a bike that I can peddle to and up the local trails and one that I can trust to take to Angel Fire or other Rockies parks. I'll have to pay off one bike over time. Upgrading parts will be out of the question for a while.

So, is anyone doing the same thing with this bike? Would you recommend the Reign SX or a new Trek instead of a new Reign X1?

OMG!
    I rode a reign x1 for a couple weeks while my demo8 was out of commission. It took a little while for me to trust the smaller feeling bike, but as soon as i did, it was an impressive ride. Very pedalable, good on dj style jumps, good on dh style jumps, and alright on the drops. It's a quick bike in the turns, and soaks up bumps and rocks as good as any other 7" bike.

Perfect bike for a place like winter park, but def not the full on dh rig you'd want at angel fire/sol vista/keystone/etc

I'd encourage it if you can find one big enough for you...

I'm about 5'9 165, and the medium was just right for me...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I too rode a 2010 reign X 2 for a couple of weeks while my DH bike out of commission. Very capable bike. Rode every jump that I would on my DH bike. Very fast and required me to brake more on run in's due to the snap. Good bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gollub01 View Post
    Rode every jump that I would on my DH bike. Very fast and required me to brake more on run in's due to the snap. Good bike
    I like the sound of that. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adjunkie View Post
    Perfect bike for a place like winter park, but def not the full on dh rig you'd want at angel fire/sol vista/keystone/etc

I'd encourage it if you can find one big enough for you...

I'm about 5'9 165, and the medium was just right for me...
    Thanks for the advice! Do you think it would hold up for hitting any run at Angel Fire for a few days just once or twice a year?

...and the frame size. I've been hung up on that. I mean, like I said, I'm 6'3", 210lbs (pretty athletic, not chunky lol), but I was told by a friend with similar riding interests and bmx background that a M frame would be the way to go since I enjoy the FR/DJ side of riding, even though I need an AM bike. I was told the 2 inches of frame height difference between the M and the L could easily be compensated for by Giant's new adjustable seatpost. Considering that I'll be climbing and XC riding just as much as I'll be riding down to drop and jump, would you or anyone push me toward a M or L frame?

Thanks again for the input. I really appreciate it!

Look at the time!
    Another great feature of the new 2012 Reign is that it features YET ANOTHER new headset standard. 1.5-1.25 tapered, yay!
    One can never have too many competing standards, they are really what keeps mountainbiking interesting.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PeytonP View Post
    Thanks for the advice! Do you think it would hold up for hitting any run at Angel Fire for a few days just once or twice a year?

...and the frame size. I've been hung up on that. I mean, like I said, I'm 6'3", 210lbs (pretty athletic, not chunky lol), but I was told by a friend with similar riding interests and bmx background that a M frame would be the way to go since I enjoy the FR/DJ side of riding, even though I need an AM bike. I was told the 2 inches of frame height difference between the M and the L could easily be compensated for by Giant's new adjustable seatpost. Considering that I'll be climbing and XC riding just as much as I'll be riding down to drop and jump, would you or anyone push me toward a M or L frame?

Thanks again for the input. I really appreciate it!
    2" difference between M/L? Look at the difference in TT length, that is going to make the bigger difference.

For a do-it-all bike, I always go to the L and run a short stem for AM and a super-short stem for DH.

Think of it like this - when you go DH, reach & stack are the only really important measures, as you aren't seated. But for an AM build, you have to take into account a lot of sit&spin and need the bike to actually fit more appropriately. Being a bigger guy, you aren't going to have a problem muscling around an extra bit of frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    2" difference between M/L? Look at the difference in TT length, that is going to make the bigger difference.

Being a bigger guy, you aren't going to have a problem muscling around an extra bit of frame.
    The only frame spec differences I could find for Giant mountain frames is the seat tube height? I know the TT and DT... I just always called the other tube that. Anyway, I think I saw 18.5" height for the medium and 20.5" for the L. My LBS generally only stocks M frames for some reason so I haven't ridden a L.

As far as I've seen, there isn't a TT length difference between M and L. I don't understand it either. If someone knows otherwise, please let me know!

I'm not too worried about the weight of a L frame. I just would like to know will work best for XC rides, climbing, and also the serious amount of jumping and acrobatics I'd like to throw at it too. lol

Thanks a lot for your advice. Because of location, I generally ride solo and don't have anyone to teach me the ways of the mountain. I'm coming out of BMX where things were a bit more simple!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PeytonP View Post
    The only frame spec differences I could find for Giant mountain frames is the seat tube height? I know the TT and DT... I just always called the other tube that. Anyway, I think I saw 18.5" height for the medium and 20.5" for the L. My LBS generally only stocks M frames for some reason so I haven't ridden a L.

As far as I've seen, there isn't a TT length difference between M and L. I don't understand it either. If someone knows otherwise, please let me know!

I'm not too worried about the weight of a L frame. I just would like to know will work best for XC rides, climbing, and also the serious amount of jumping and acrobatics I'd like to throw at it too. lol

Thanks a lot for your advice. Because of location, I generally ride solo and don't have anyone to teach me the ways of the mountain. I'm coming out of BMX where things were a bit more simple!
    Hey, click HERE and click on "geometry" on the chart. Their chart isn't as detailed as others, but the TT length is 23.2" on the M, 24.1 on the L.

So I am in Austin, I bought a bike this year too - one that must serve the AM side here in town, yet be capable enough to take to the resorts a few times a year. I went for the L (delirium with 24.3" tt) and run a 50mm stem here, 40mm in the mountains. This bike feels smaller than my last L frame (24" tt) and I was a bit worried about being too stretched, but that just isn't the case on this one. FWIW, I'm 6'.

The most complicating factor here is going to be your BMX background - you could very well be happier on a M just for flickability. It would detract from the comfort on longer grinds, but that is a call you are going to have to make. And surprisingly, I don't think any ATX giant dealers even stock a Reign

mtbr member
    Hey, click HERE and click on "geometry" on the chart. Their chart isn't as detailed as others, but the TT length is 23.2" on the M, 24.1 on the L.

The most complicating factor here is going to be your BMX background - you could very well be happier on a M just for flickability. It would detract from the comfort on longer grinds, but that is a call you are going to have to make. And surprisingly, I don't think any ATX giant dealers even stock a Reign
    THANK YOU! I don't know how I was dumb enough to miss that on their site. Kind of embarrassing...

My LBS only has an M frame Anthem in stock. The others are all Giant hardtails, Trek hardtais, and road bikes of the same brands, and I'm pretty sure they're all M frames !. I'm not sure what happened. They had a Glory, Reign and others in stock a year ago, though I have absolutely no idea why! (In East Texas, there isn't much call for a DH rig.) I would love to ride ATX but I'm 5 hrs away and don't have a FS bike yet. I'm not sure how to settle this M / L frame dispute so I can start traveling and riding without driving 4 or 5 hours just to sit on a bike in the first place!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Well, when you ride "XC", are you up & out of the saddle charging a lot, or do you sit?

mtbr member
    Well, when you ride "XC", are you up & out of the saddle charging a lot, or do you sit?
    lol that's the thing! I'm trying to stay in the saddle more as I ride and train and build up to longer loops, but I'm always on the lookout for something to hop off or over and I'm much more comfortable on my feet.

When I stand and climb with my M frame DJ bike, I sometimes feel like I'm leaning too far forward and I lose traction in the rear. Then there are times, like yesterday, when I'm riding downhill off the trail and there's a drop or ridge that I have to muscle the front end up and over so that I don't brake anything or superman over the bars. I wonder how length would affect that.

I guess that .9" in length really isn't that much of a difference, and the comfort when I'm not bombing trails or jumps is something I'll need with a crazy back and shoulders... Definitely considering that you said the L still felt smaller for your 6'.

Thanks again for all the advice. This is really helping me out!

mtbr member
    I'm 6'1" and I have a large 2010 Giant Reign SX. Before I got this bike I had a medium Ventana El Cuervo and a medium Santa Cruz Bullit. At first it felt to long so I put a 50mm stem on it and now it feels just right. I switched from a medium to a large because with the mediums I was having a hard time in corners because I felt to cramped and my knees would hit the bars in the corners. I was worried that I would feel to stretched out on a large when hitting jumps and going off drops, but now I'm hitting bigger stuff then I ever was before. But sometimes its just personal preference, go with what is more comfortable for you.

mtbr member

Finally, a decision?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe76LJC View Post
    I'm 6'1" and I have a large 2010 Giant Reign SX. Before I got this bike I had a medium Ventana El Cuervo and a medium Santa Cruz Bullit. At first it felt to long so I put a 50mm stem on it and now it feels just right. I switched from a medium to a large because with the mediums I was having a hard time in corners because I felt to cramped and my knees would hit the bars in the corners. I was worried that I would feel to stretched out on a large when hitting jumps and going off drops, but now I'm hitting bigger stuff then I ever was before. But sometimes its just personal preference, go with what is more comfortable for you.
    That's exactly what I was looking for! Since I don't have the bikes or the appropriate trails locally to really demo like I need to, I'll take your word for it on the L frame. After all, I'm hanging on to have the M frame Giant DJ bike for whenever want to switch things up. Y'all have sold me on the L

Thanks again! The MTBR forum has helped me learn so much as I really dive into this sport.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I think you are making the right decision - playing around on buddies' medium bikes, the handlebar/knee interference would just be too much for the local trails...

Post up pics when you get it!

mtbr member
    I think you are making the right decision - playing around on buddies' medium bikes, the handlebar/knee interference would just be too much for the local trails...

Post up pics when you get it!
    You're very right. I'm pretty sure I cracked or punctured my left kneecap last year when I hit a root on a climb and busted my knee on the bar clamp.

I'll definitely post picks. I've drooling over the black/white 2011 X1, but the '12 X1's black and blue made me lose it. I'm literally dreaming about it! lol I have some debt to settle, but I'm hoping to order it through my LBS by the end of the year.

Thanks again and again for the help.

And I'd love to see pictures of the SX in action. I'd go for that bike but I like the crank setup on the X1 more.