200mm fork on FR bike ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

200mm fork on FR bike ?

Hello all,

i have GHOST FR Northshore 800 with totem 180mm fork, i ride aggressive FR and thinking in the future to upgrade the fork to 200mm, i want to know what is your opinion on it ? this will effects on the geometry in good why or bad one ?

there is guys that moved to 200mm from 180mm in FR and can have there opinion on it, what were the consequences of this in terms of riding, etc

thanks ahead,

Idan.

Im a Cowboy
    Freeride??, its a broad church.......can you be more specific ?
    DON'T TELL ME I'M STILL ON THAT FECKIN' ISLAND! ....

mtbr member
    fast track (downhill) in the forest, drops (2 meter+)/ gaps, technical (slalom, obstacles and etc) ones.

Im a Cowboy
    In that case its hard to say...........6-7 foot drops would favour the bigger fork of course, but its no fooking good for slalom and technical is it
    personaly if your riding varies that much id stay with the totem

mtbr member
    your head tube angle will slacken. this will make the bike faster downhill. It will also make the bike more forgiving on jumps and drops. that extra inch of travel will do more good than bad.

mtbr member
    ok, as i understood i need to have same axle2crown size like the totem now, otherwise I will change the geometry i bad way ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by taotao
    ok, as i understood i need to have same axle2crown size like the totem now, otherwise I will change the geometry i bad way ?
    No, you will change the geometry so the bike performs differently. It is going to make some styles of riding better and some worse. Downhill is much easier with a slackened head tube angle. if you put a taller fork on it will slacken the head angle. This can affect jumping but that is mostly personal preferance. cross country or flatter riding will be where the negative affect of the geometry change comes in. In my opinion I like to have a slack head angle for almost any riding(that I would actually do on a DH/FR bike). Raising the front one inch will make the bike more forgiving without affecting any other aspect of the bikes performance to a large extent. Now, If you go throw a Risse Big Foot on the front you will definitely start to notice some geometry changes. Think orange county choppers.

mtbr member
    ok, so the change in the angle should come in my favor, because of the riding style.
    what i don't understand is the fact that i search axle to crown size, and i see that the difference between totem 280mm (565mm A2C) and boxxer 200mm (568mm A2C) is 0.03mm, so the suspension process is very minimal, what i am missing here ?

Im a Cowboy
    your not missing anything tao, there is just 3mm difference...you wouldnt even notice the change in geometry

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by CrustyOne
    your not missing anything tao, there is just 3mm difference...you wouldnt even notice the change in geometry
    Exactly.

mtbr member
    so, what is the reason to change the fork from 180mm to 200mm, if there is no change in the suspension travel? all the ideas is to get more extra suspension travel , so the suspension is not really 200mm, its 180mm+0.03mm extra.

Chilling out
    It is possible that there is more travel, with the same axle to crown. Some manus make the fork with a lower crown than others.

So, the boxxer *could* give you more travel with the same bike geometry, and then you're just looking at a different in weight and steering - dual-crown forks won't turn as tightly on the bike as single-crown forks. Whether the dual-crown is an issue or not is up to you.

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by taotao
    so, what is the reason to change the fork from 180mm to 200mm, if there is no change in the suspension travel? all the ideas is to get more extra suspension travel , so the suspension is not really 200mm, its 180mm+0.03mm extra.
    You still get 20mm of more suspension travel. The reason the A-C is almost the same is that the lower crown of the Boxxer is much less tall than the crown of a Totem (which has to provide ALL the strength/stiffness of the form all by itself). if you compare the height of the Totem crown to the lower crown of the Boxxer, you will see that there is almost a 20mm difference...

A-C is measured to the TOP of the lowest crown - where it will make contact with the headset.

mtbr member
    Yes it would be favorable. Now If your specs are right the boxxer might have similar axle to crown hight. There are 8in dual crown forks that are the same hight as some 7 in single crown forks. Travel isnt the only determining factor in hight. If you notice a fork with the same travel from Marzocchi sits higher than one from Manitou. This is mainly because Marz puts taller lowers on their forks. The seals on Marz forks are usually even with the top of the tire where as Manitou seals are below the top of the tire. Any way if you went to the boxxer you would not notice the 3mm difference-I promise. You would enjoy more travel.

Yes, that's fonetic
    If you do feel the 3mm difference, you can always go to a zero stack headset to compensate for the longer fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    For FR riding, the bigger thing to consider is that by going 200mm, you also have to go dual crown. I run a Totem on my FR bike, and a Boxxer (both coil) on my DH bike. For FR, I'd stick with a Totem because it deals with slow speed, super tight turns a bit better. If you are just going big, then either one will work.
    -Skimming the successpool of corporate America-

Members who have read this thread: 1