2009 Kona Stab vs.- Mtbr.com
    Oh, So Interesting!

2009 Kona Stab vs.

I'm looking for a new dh bike. The bikes in my sig are the top 3 choices. Low prices on Stabs are catching my eye though...

I own a Trek Remedy if I need to pedal, this bike is only for dh. I have plenty of time to wait for 2010s too, it'll be 2 months before I'm healed up enough to ride dh.

The main things I'm looking for are a stiff bike that rails corners and holds a line through rock gardens and rough stuff. The bike should have good pop out of corners and off the lips of jumps, and pedal well. Plowing with complete disregard for line choice isn't a priority. A bike that picks it's own line (like my Uzzi VPX w/ Boxxer) isn't going to cut it either.

Can anyone tell me if they think a Stab is along the lines of what I want? I'm looking for a ~24" ETT, 8" travel, 65 HA, 14" BB. Stab is either 65 HA/13.7 BB or 64HA/13.2 BB. The 64 HA setting seems almost unuseable due to the super low BB, or is this a bad assumption? The nice thing about the Stab is its cheap, being sold w/o shock so I can get a nice custom shock for it.

mtbr member
    Stab sounds good man. What are you healing up from?

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumba15
    Stab sounds good man. What are you healing up from?

Broken Radius near the wrist. Also, a couple of cracks in the radius running parallel to the bone and into the joint. Its being held together with 2 pins and a plate with 7 screws. I did it on the Remedy, and F'ed up the frame (crushed downtube by impacting it into a tree). Wrist is almost a grand, even with insurance, and crash replacement frame is running $750. This is why I'm looking at cheaper alternatives, and Large DHRs are sold out at Go Ride now anyway.

I'm also interested if Stabs are reliable? I'm not sure I'll get warranty with the frame I'm looking at, its a new Stab Deluxe that looks like it was parted out.

http://www.konaworld.com/09_stabdeluxe_u.cfm

mtbr member
    Stabs are def nice bikes, they are also very durable, he 09 stab deluxe comes with a nice mix of quality components that will last you a long time. I ride a 07 stinky (not that much different from the stab) and the bike just wont die not matter how many times i bite the dirt

Oh you'll probably get some people telling you that the stabs are crap and break easy, dont listen to them

Glad to Be Alive
    IMO better suspension designs then the stab or Kona lineup....those bikes don't handle good over stutter bumbs, and rockgardens......I would never have a kona again for dh

the new trek have very thin metal and dents really easy on the downtube (other places as well)...we need bikes to last a few years...we are not pros who can switch bikes fast
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    IMO better suspension designs then the stab or Kona lineup....those bikes don't handle good over stutter bumbs, and rockgardens......I would never have a kona again for dh
    IMO, its a trade off. I really like the stiffness, cornering and jumping of a single pivot. Also, the Stab has a higher pivot location than the Stinky, so they will ride different. One of my friends rides an '06 Stab and it is a fast rolling bike through the rough stuff and has no problems in the rock gardens.

My old Uzzi VPX made far too many compromises vs. a simple single pivot for me. Notice none of my choices of bike are VPP or similar designs... In fact, it seems a lot of very popular dh bikes are single pivots.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    IMO, its a trade off. I really like the stiffness, cornering and jumping of a single pivot. Also, the Stab has a higher pivot location than the Stinky, so they will ride different. One of my friends rides an '06 Stab and it is a fast rolling bike through the rough stuff and has no problems in the rock gardens.

My old Uzzi VPX made far too many compromises vs. a simple single pivot for me. Notice none of my choices of bike are VPP or similar designs... In fact, it seems a lot of very popular dh bikes are single pivots.
    my rear of the M-3 is stiff......but to each his own.....if you love the stab then get it....I am just not a fan....ultimately you are the one schelling out the chips
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Slopestyle Rider
    I ride the 2009 Stab Deluxe's all the time (I ride the demos here at the resort)... Man they jump so well and feel super stable in the air. I also demo the Scott Gambler, and IMO, I like the Stab better, for just an overall bike.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    I ride the 2009 Stab Deluxe's all the time (I ride the demos here at the resort)... Man they jump so well and feel super stable in the air. I also demo the Scott Gambler, and IMO, I like the Stab better, for just an overall bike.
    Thanks Joel, how are the rental bikes looking?... still in good shape? If I buy a rental I could always add a new shock and 2010 Fox 40.

Do you know if I get the lifetime frame warranty if I buy a rental bike? Apparently I will get warranty with the Stab frame I'm looking at. Also, the 2010 Kona bikes will be announced in 4 days.

Its got what plants crave
    Fabien rips on one! I am not a single pivot hater by any means. After all, you're pointing the bike down the hill, no climbing involved. I ride a 4 bar Kona though, so I may be a bit biased. Mine doesn't have DOPE, but an 09 Stab should.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

I heart the drops
    You can borrow my canfield lucky while I am out of town. I think Chris Canfield has 1 left in large.
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

Slopestyle Rider
    Dave, I don't know if they sell the demo's. The demo's are under a different plan than the rentals. The demo's are in great shape, btw. I put in a call to the rental guys and they are gonna get with Kona to see what they want to do. I'll keep you posted.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Fabien rips on one! I am not a single pivot hater by any means. After all, you're pointing the bike down the hill, no climbing involved. I ride a 4 bar Kona though, so I may be a bit biased. Mine doesn't have DOPE, but an 09 Stab should.
    He actualy rides for mondraker not kona now. Also Kona is not a 4 bar.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

mtbr member
    Why not the Yeti 303Rdh??? Single pivot, very poppy and stable on jumps, stiff, excellent in corners and tight stuff. Complete builds at $4700, when you look at the build kit that it comes with it's kind of a steal.

I haven't ridden one so I shouldn't recommend something I haven't swung a leg over, but I've read quite a few reviews and am definately hot and bothered for this bike down the road maybe this winter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I've been on a blindside for about a year now, and I think it may fit what you are looking for. It's low and quick, while also feeling nimble and able to pop off of lips. It's suspension is certainly basic in comparison to other DH specific offerings, but the ride is dialed and it's far from a plow bike. Give one a shot?

Oh, So Interesting!
    Frame is $2500 or so. I don't need the complete bike, but if the '10 comes with an rc4 and fox 40 fit that would be tempting....

Members who have read this thread: 0