2009 Dorados- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 85 of 85

Thread: 2009 Dorados

  1. #1
    GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
    Reputation: pvflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    904

    2009 Dorados

    It is back, AIR cartridge dumping, 36mm stantions, 6lbs it is all i can say, i rode it last weekend and it is the BOMB.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    102
    Holy ****, that thing looks pretty sweet. Never thought those things would come back.

  3. #3
    the goose is loose!
    Reputation: rm_racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,276
    woa that's gnarly. but why is it back? the Travis is a good fork, though portly, and i have heard the Dorados were flexy as all hell. are they gonna bump up to 8" travel too?

  4. #4
    Bike Ninja |||
    Reputation: chooofoojoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,037
    uhuh.... wow that's sweet.. never thought i'd see the return of those. nice re-design though!
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

  5. #5
    Hard as nails
    Reputation: Dirtman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,008
    OMG I just think my bank acct just got lighter....
    Thank God men cannot fly, and lay waste the sky as well as the earth.
    Henry David Thoreau



  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mace2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    544
    interesting... what are the benefits of an inverted fork over a normal one? obviously it will be less stiff..... so what's better about it?

  7. #7
    GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
    Reputation: pvflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    904
    Lower center gravity, rigid......cool as hell.

  8. #8
    Disco-Superfly
    Reputation: Jake_HT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    4,850
    they are more "responsive", and look cool... other than that there is no real advantage to them...
    they twist like a bottle cap
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,118
    Torsionally?

    Quote Originally Posted by pvflyer
    , rigid.

  10. #10
    Say Car Ramrod!!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,771
    damn that thing is sweet! maybe hayes buying manitou was a good thing?
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

  11. #11
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,917
    looks nice..........snaf












    ....
    still not a fan
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    938
    Its still a manitou and it says it has spv.

  13. #13
    Rides like wrecking ball
    Reputation: Bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,122
    "'09" in July '07? Is this the flippin auto industry now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

  14. #14
    the goose is loose!
    Reputation: rm_racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,276
    sneak peek, probably won't be here until the '09 season. but who knows, maybe they found some magical way to make them stiffer. you can make an inverted fork stiff, but it's gonna be weighty. if they made those axle blocks wider and uses a longer axle, that would stiffen it up. many supercross riders' forks have works axle blocks that have a wiser clamping surface for stiffness.

  15. #15
    Stray Bullet
    Reputation: Nagaredama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,273
    Looks cool but the SPV sticker scares me.

  16. #16
    Portland, OR
    Reputation: todd_freeride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,112
    yea, they better not put stupid SPV in that fork. if they do, no one in their right mind would buy it.

    Dorado's were less flexy than the shivers.
    Ibex bikes

    2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: -Insomnia-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    179
    What is spv?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    Looks cool but the SPV sticker scares me.

    i think they're trying to stealth it

    or this guy is fooling all of us

  19. #19
    Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    Reputation: KomodoRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    456
    hahahahah its allready leaking oil!!!! last pic


    -but seriously an inverted fork "sould have" better high speed bump reaction because of the lower mass of the moving parts


    instead of having to stop and revers direction of heavy lowers a half a million times a run the inverted fork moves the heavy crap out of the lowers to make that action more nimble
    OMG GUISE IT HAZ A AIER SHOCK WTF OO DUZ THAT?!?!?

  20. #20
    Premium Member
    Reputation: Ojai Bicyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,842
    Quote Originally Posted by pvflyer
    Lower center gravity, rigid.
    Are you retarded? It's got a higher COG but less unsprung weight, so it is more responsive to bumps, but they're way flexier than a conventional fork with an arch.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc
    Its still a manitou and it says it has spv.
    I hope this is just a bad dream!

    SPV? WTF?!?

    Yeah, go ahead and trust a carbon inverted SPV fork from a company that can't even get regular forks right.

    Does RST still make their forks? Well, that should say it all...

    They must be using the old Rockshox business plan...

    "if it sucks, just cheapen it up more and people will want cheaper sh*t!"

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    596
    Not a fan myself. The old model was flexy as hell.

  23. #23
    the goose is loose!
    Reputation: rm_racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by pvflyer
    Lower center gravity, rigid......cool as hell.
    slightly higher cg.......

  24. #24
    New School
    Reputation: Cmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    167
    that is identical to the old mrd x works forks, just in gold. ^^^everyone above me is a retard, its some cute custom painting, but its not 09. SPV in DH forks is done with Post a pic of the fork with a thing to measure the stanctions, then i might beleive you. until then, i call BULLSIHT!!
    ALGIO E OLIO!

  25. #25
    Team Captain
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,322
    Seriously, custom decals on an old fork, woopitydeedoo!

  26. #26
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30,771
    Quote Originally Posted by KomodoRider
    hahahahah its allready leaking oil!!!! last pic


    -but seriously an inverted fork "sould have" better high speed bump reaction because of the lower mass of the moving parts
    BS, the tire, the tube, rim strip, spokes, nipples, hub, rotor, disc bolts, disc caliper, lowers, axle, misc parts in the lower part of the fork, are all also unsprung weight. Subtract the half a pound difference between Mg fork lowers and what an inverted fork has, and you've saved maybe 5-10% of total unsprung weight. If you can feel that I'd be suprised. Better lubrication can help inverted forks out a lot, but manitou has never been very good at that.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  27. #27
    the goose is loose!
    Reputation: rm_racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmac
    that is identical to the old mrd x works forks, just in gold. ^^^everyone above me is a retard, its some cute custom painting, but its not 09. SPV in DH forks is done with Post a pic of the fork with a thing to measure the stanctions, then i might beleive you. until then, i call BULLSIHT!!
    yeah guys! jeez, can't believe that you fell for this....ok i got suckered in, i think there could maybe be some truth to this, but that makes sense that this is a trick. we'll see in a year.

  28. #28
    Takw/agranofsalt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    BS....If you can feel that I'd be suprised.
    I can definately feel a difference between my Shiver and my 888....(for whatever the reason ). I can feel it when riding. It's a HUGE difference.

    edit: both have their pros and cons. For small bump compliance the shiv wins hands down. Jayem you are more full of sh!t than a sh!t-house mouse.

  29. #29
    moaaar shimz
    Reputation: tacubaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,116
    2009 Ha Ha yeah right...

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    966
    i dont think that is a true new deal going on. the old dorado felt amazing, when it was running correctly, which was 2% of the time manipoo wont touch them for any warranty work
    2018 Santa Cruz Nomad IIII

    Moto Becane Roady

    2015 KTM 1190R

    "Trying is the first step towards failure"

  31. #31
    dontcha?
    Reputation: captain spaulding's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,425
    jeez, looks like they still haven't figured out how to make it look cool.. ick..
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

  32. #32
    GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
    Reputation: pvflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    904
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojai Bicyclist
    Are you retarded? It's got a higher COG but less unsprung weight, so it is more responsive to bumps, but they're way flexier than a conventional fork with an arch.
    No, not really but you sound a bit stupid. I wonder why all supersport motorcycle and MOTO-GP will use upside/down forks? Not having a bridge allows you to lower or slide your lowers on the crown much more than a convesional fork. Given the bike or motorcycle
    a lower center of gravity, stupid. That, same bike with a TRAVIS it is over a inch higher on it BB!! YOU DUMB ASS.

    I, have two Dorados, the first genaration 30mm stantion flexy, second gen 32mm with tapered CARBON legs very stiff, this one have 36mm stantion there is no flex what so ever!
    . WHO T F you think you ARE coming here and calling people names?
    FOR THE PEOPLE WHO DON"T THINK THIS IT IS A 09 PRODUCT JUST WAITE AND WATCH THE CRANKWORKS THIS FORK IT WILL BE THERE, WITH SOME MORE NEWS.

    REGARDS
    Last edited by pvflyer; 07-21-2007 at 11:03 AM.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnaR9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by pvflyer
    No, not really but you sound a bit stupid. I wonder why all supersport motorcycle and MOTO-GP will use upside/down forks? Not having a bridge allows you to lower or slide your lowers on the crown much more than a convesional fork. Given the bike or motorcycle
    a lower center of gravity, stupid. That, same bike with a TRAVIS it is over a inch higher on it BB!! YOU DUMB ASS.

    I, have two Dorados, the first genaration 30mm stantion flexy, second gen 32mm with tapered CARBON legs very stiff, this one have 36mm stantion there is no flex what so ever!
    . WHO T F you think you ARE coming here and calling people names?
    FOR THE PEOPLE WHO DON"T THINK THIS IT IS A 09 PRODUCT JUST WAITE AND WATCH THE CRANKWORKS THIS FORK IT WILL BE THERE, WITH SOME MORE NEWS.

    REGARDS
    Take your Ritalin, OK?



    - OK, you're in a forest.
    - Forest?



    With Heather Locklear.



    - With Heather?
    - And you're very warm. Very...



    - ..warm?
    - Warm.

  34. #34
    Bike Ninja |||
    Reputation: chooofoojoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,037

    oh no you didn't!

    Quote Originally Posted by pvflyer
    No, not really but you sound a bit stupid. I wonder why all supersport motorcycle and MOTO-GP will use upside/down forks? Not having a bridge allows you to lower or slide your lowers on the crown much more than a convesional fork. Given the bike or motorcycle
    a lower center of gravity, stupid. That, same bike with a TRAVIS it is over a inch higher on it BB!! YOU DUMB ASS.

    I, have two Dorados, the first genaration 30mm stantion flexy, second gen 32mm with tapered CARBON legs very stiff, this one have 36mm stantion there is no flex what so ever!
    . WHO T F you think you ARE coming here and calling people names?
    FOR THE PEOPLE WHO DON"T THINK THIS IT IS A 09 PRODUCT JUST WAITE AND WATCH THE CRANKWORKS THIS FORK IT WILL BE THERE, WITH SOME MORE NEWS.

    REGARDS

    relax... whoosh frabaaah.

    as far a c/g it seems that you two were referring to different centers of gravity.
    an inverted fork IN ITSELF has a higher c/g compared to that of a conventional one.

    by having a lower axle to crown high, the dorado will make the complete bike have a lower c/g.

    The argument with motorcycles isn't valid IMO, as mountain bikes are on a smaller scale. just that simple difference changes A LOT of the characteristics of a fork, as well as what design is better for which application.

    for motorcycles (especially moto GP bikes) :
    the inverted type fork is a better design as it offers less unsprung weight, as well as they have better small bump absorption characteristics. It is not the case that they utilize these forks solely because they have a lower axle-crown distance therefore lowering the c/g. Conventional forks on motorcycles don't have arch's period... and so on motorcycles it is actually stiffer to have an inverted fork then that of a conventional one simple as that. the axle to crown would be the same on either effectively creating equal c/g.

    for mnt. bikes :
    Because of the smaller scale, and longer travel of the mountain bike forks, having an inverted type fork provides the problem of torsional stiffness. those long tubes can twist under load! Yes it is true that a conventional fork has more unsprung weight then that of their inverted counterparts, however because we are on a smaller scale this difference is so negligible, as well as far outweighed by the torsional stiffness brought about by the arch. By tying the two legs together farther down on the fork you create a platform that is superior in torsional flex.

    I don't know if anybody has done this, but i have so i'll use it to explain. Take two long pieces of balsa wood. glue two cross members at the top, and one at the bottom (like double crowns and then the axle). twist that and see how much flex you get. then glue another cross member halfway in between. it takes a much greater amount of force to make that model flex, as opposed to the previous.

    If product designers for mountain bikes wanted to have inverted forks to be as stiff as conventional forks, with the same dampening characteristics etc, they would need extra material (think bigger tubes, more bushings, wider axle, etc). this brings about the weight issue as well. typically inverted forks are heavier then conventional forks all factors being equal.

    Manitou tried to kill two birds with one stone by using carbon on the dorado. not only is carbon torsionally stiffer then aluminum or magnesium, it's lighter (for the most part). This created a decent platform that rivaled most conventional forks (in it's day). poor dampening and high maintenance killed this fork, however.

    I guess all my rambling and technical jargon is just to point out my pet peeve of people trying to compare motorcycle technology with bikes. it just isn't valid IMO.

    ok my rant is done. bring on the flaming
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

  35. #35
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    I can definately feel a difference between my Shiver and my 888....(for whatever the reason ). I can feel it when riding. It's a HUGE difference.

    edit: both have their pros and cons. For small bump compliance the shiv wins hands down. Jayem you are more full of sh!t than a sh!t-house mouse.
    Uh, it's because your shiver has far better lubrication.

    I had two shivers.

    It's not because of "less unsprung weight.

    Your 888 setup is probably within 150 grams of the unsprung weight of the shiver. 66 lowers weigh about .75lbs, in other words almost nothing. How much does the axle clamp, large stanchions, and other parts of the shiver weigh? Probably more than nothing.

    If you don't believe me, do the math:

    Rim, 550g
    Nipples, 33g
    Spokes, 200g
    Rim strip, 30g
    Tube, 400g
    tire, 1200g
    hub, 200g
    disc rotor, 180g
    disc bolts, 10g
    20mm axle, 100g
    Disc caliper, 200g

    3103 of unsprung weight EXCLUDING any fork numbers.

    Now, several fork lowers have been weighed, and for forks like the fox 40, boxxer, and 888, those lowers are very light, usually less than a pound. It's not a lot of material, and it's usually low density magnesium or aluminum.

    So, add 340g to the 3103g for the unsprung weight of a conventional fork for a grand total of 3443g.

    Now, figure that the stanchions on your shiver are not weightless, nor are the axle clamps, nor is the foot nut, nor is the oil sitting inside, so figure a total difference between the magnesium lowers as about 1/2 pound. That's all you're saving in unsprung weight, the lower bits of the shiver DO weigh SOMETHING, and there are other parts besides the stanchions. So, add maybe 225g to the 3103g for the inverted shiver. You're at 3328g.

    Now, lets see how much difference between the two?

    5% difference. Almost nothing. Sorry, going to an inverted fork does NOT save a bunch of unsprung weight, and it is NOT why your shiver rides so well.

    BTW, if changing unsprung weight made it ride so much better, then simply going to a lighter tube and tire would automatically make your 888 ride like the shiver, because you just decreased the unsprung weight by at least the same amount.

    I suppose since I recently changed my front tire to a heavier one that my fork shouldn't be performing as well, but then again it's such a small percentage of the overall unsprung weight that you know what? It's imperceptible.




    Good call.
    Last edited by Jayem; 07-21-2007 at 04:57 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  36. #36
    Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    Reputation: KomodoRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    BS, the tire, the tube, rim strip, spokes, nipples, hub, rotor, disc bolts, disc caliper, lowers, axle, misc parts in the lower part of the fork, are all also unsprung weight. Subtract the half a pound difference between Mg fork lowers and what an inverted fork has, and you've saved maybe 5-10% of total unsprung weight. If you can feel that I'd be suprised. Better lubrication can help inverted forks out a lot, but manitou has never been very good at that.
    \

    its all about the priniple of inversion

    ie thats why they do it, I wasent saying its better bc god knows ill never ride that fork
    OMG GUISE IT HAZ A AIER SHOCK WTF OO DUZ THAT?!?!?

  37. #37
    canuck
    Reputation: Aaron D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude
    damn that thing is sweet! maybe hayes buying manitou was a good thing?


    The Dude
    Say Car Ramrod!!


    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Posts: 1,037 __________________
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

    ill send you the bill for cleaning the root beer out of my laptop




    that fork is sweet

  38. #38
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30,771
    Quote Originally Posted by KomodoRider
    \

    its all about the priniple of inversion

    ie thats why they do it, I wasent saying its better bc god knows ill never ride that fork
    Well, it is true that if you say something that makes no sense, it's hard to say it's "wrong".
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  39. #39
    canuck
    Reputation: Aaron D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    695
    there mavricks with manipoo stickies

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    605
    i'll stick with my 07 Boxxer WC thanks lol

  41. #41
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmac
    that is identical to the old mrd x works forks, just in gold. ^^^everyone above me is a retard, its some cute custom painting, but its not 09. SPV in DH forks is done with Post a pic of the fork with a thing to measure the stanctions, then i might beleive you. until then, i call BULLSIHT!!
    Dang the original fork was around beffor you were born, you must read allot of mags with pic's, gosh your special.
    Last edited by dogonfr; 07-22-2007 at 08:48 AM.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  42. #42
    attending to my vices
    Reputation: moshelove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    460
    you know on motocross bikes, one of the biggest reasons they switched to inverted forks was because of the increased stiffness. I wonder why it is the opposite with MTB? perhaps less metal?
    OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!

  43. #43
    the goose is loose!
    Reputation: rm_racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,276
    well, on motorcycles there was no arch on "upright" forks. i had an RM 80 with standard forks and now have an RM 250 with inverted forks. i also rode various CR and YZ 80s with inverted forks and for the life of me, none felt more responsive than the other. with motorcycles, you dont have that 3-4" under hang after the axle with inverted forks, and you have those big wide tapered outer tubes that extend all the way down to the wheel. then you only have a foot of smaller inner tubes. but they are steel and have another 8 inches inside the outer tubes to further eliminate flex. and the upper tubes are ticker and beefier than any Dorado would ever be. motorcycle forks can be made stiffer because they don't have to weigh under 7 pounds. and because they use 48mm inner tubes. but on a bicycle, you have weight to deal with and on an inverted fork the main thing making the inner tubes (lowers, stanchions, whatever) stiff it the axle. so in mountain biking, the best compromise in weight vs. stiffness seems to be a standard fork.

  44. #44
    East Coast Style
    Reputation: acdcfan1283's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,373
    that thing looks siiick xD
    Intense Socom
    Transition Double


    [/SIZE][/FONT]

  45. #45
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30,771
    Quote Originally Posted by moshelove
    you know on motocross bikes, one of the biggest reasons they switched to inverted forks was because of the increased stiffness. I wonder why it is the opposite with MTB? perhaps less metal?
    That stiffness and strength is direction specific, with motocross they are talking about fore-aft strength/stiffness and casing jumps and that type of force is handled by increasing the size of the uppers, so the inverted fork works well for this, although it decreases laterall stiffness with mountain bike applications due to the lack of a brake arch. The same benefit can be had by increasing the size of the uppers on a conventional fork, although out at extreme travel lengths an inverted fork gives you enough bushing overlap, and therefore is the only choice.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    966
    go inverted with 40mm tubes and a 40mm axle! u need a bigger axle to get that stiffness back AKA FOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! only if it wasnt 10grand lol
    2018 Santa Cruz Nomad IIII

    Moto Becane Roady

    2015 KTM 1190R

    "Trying is the first step towards failure"

  47. #47
    the goose is loose!
    Reputation: rm_racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    That stiffness and strength is direction specific, with motocross they are talking about fore-aft strength/stiffness and casing jumps and that type of force is handled by increasing the size of the uppers, so the inverted fork works well for this, although it decreases laterall stiffness with mountain bike applications due to the lack of a brake arch. The same benefit can be had by increasing the size of the uppers on a conventional fork, although out at extreme travel lengths an inverted fork gives you enough bushing overlap, and therefore is the only choice.
    yeah he's right. i just took apart my 250's fork day before yesterday to replace a seal. there is so much overlap it's unreal. you only see a little bit more than half of the lower tube when the fork is assembled. if you do make a stiff inverted for for a bicycle, you would have to have a big beefy steel axle (if you keep it at 20mm) and big ol' axle blocks and beefy fork tubes, so any weight savings would be eclipsed by weight gains.

  48. #48
    Takw/agranofsalt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Uh, it's because your shiver has far better lubrication.

    I had two shivers.

    It's not because of "less unsprung weight.

    Your 888 setup is probably within 150 grams of the unsprung weight of the shiver. 66 lowers weigh about .75lbs, in other words almost nothing. How much does the axle clamp, large stanchions, and other parts of the shiver weigh? Probably more than nothing.

    If you don't believe me, do the math:

    Rim, 550g
    Nipples, 33g
    Spokes, 200g
    Rim strip, 30g
    Tube, 400g
    tire, 1200g
    hub, 200g
    disc rotor, 180g
    disc bolts, 10g
    20mm axle, 100g
    Disc caliper, 200g

    3103 of unsprung weight EXCLUDING any fork numbers.

    Now, several fork lowers have been weighed, and for forks like the fox 40, boxxer, and 888, those lowers are very light, usually less than a pound. It's not a lot of material, and it's usually low density magnesium or aluminum.

    So, add 340g to the 3103g for the unsprung weight of a conventional fork for a grand total of 3443g.

    Now, figure that the stanchions on your shiver are not weightless, nor are the axle clamps, nor is the foot nut, nor is the oil sitting inside, so figure a total difference between the magnesium lowers as about 1/2 pound. That's all you're saving in unsprung weight, the lower bits of the shiver DO weigh SOMETHING, and there are other parts besides the stanchions. So, add maybe 225g to the 3103g for the inverted shiver. You're at 3328g.

    Now, lets see how much difference between the two?

    5% difference. Almost nothing. Sorry, going to an inverted fork does NOT save a bunch of unsprung weight, and it is NOT why your shiver rides so well.

    BTW, if changing unsprung weight made it ride so much better, then simply going to a lighter tube and tire would automatically make your 888 ride like the shiver, because you just decreased the unsprung weight by at least the same amount.

    I suppose since I recently changed my front tire to a heavier one that my fork shouldn't be performing as well, but then again it's such a small percentage of the overall unsprung weight that you know what? It's imperceptible.




    Good call.
    Where in my post did I mention anything about weight, sprung or unsprung?

    All I said is that I feel a difference ("for whatever the reason") between a Shiv and a 888 on small bump compliance. I never made any implications towards a reason why.

    So there.

  49. #49
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Where in my post did I mention anything about weight, sprung or unsprung?

    All I said is that I feel a difference ("for whatever the reason") between a Shiv and a 888 on small bump compliance. I never made any implications towards a reason why.

    So there.
    YOU QUOTED ME originally, and in that post I was most certainly talking about unsprung mass from the post that I was commenting on. Go look at the post that I originally quoted, which looks something like this;

    -but seriously an inverted fork "sould have" better high speed bump reaction because of the lower mass of the moving parts
    So if you say "no Jayem is wrong", then you're saying that my theory about the unsprung mass is wrong, if it wasn't your intention to comment on that discussion, then why quote my post in the first place?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  50. #50
    sixsixtysix
    Guest
    How about 48mm uppers, 40mm lowers and a 35mm axle and only 6.8lbs? I have ridden this thing and its one of the plushest forks I have touched, even compared to my Works 888RC2x. It is also super stiff, with no more noticeable flex than any other regular DC fork.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hardtails Are Better's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,294
    I'm not buying it. The diameter of the handlebar at the clamp (31.8mm) looks way too close to the size of the uppers for there to be any way that they could have stuffed 36mm stanchions in there. I could be wrong, but I'm very skeptical.

  52. #52
    Bike Ninja |||
    Reputation: chooofoojoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,037
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    How about 48mm uppers, 40mm lowers and a 35mm axle and only 6.8lbs? I have ridden this thing and its one of the plushest forks I have touched, even compared to my Works 888RC2x. It is also super stiff, with no more noticeable flex than any other regular DC fork.

    Plus it comes with a cup holder! (the lower crown... or should i say the massive hole in the lower crown) i hate those forks. felt like poo when i pushed on one. maybe they ride better... but i won't take my chances.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

  53. #53
    Thats not a picture of me
    Reputation: potvinwannab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    939
    this REALLY appears to be jus a normal dorado with a sticker kit.

    #1-The person who made this up (its on several forums-either its a hoax, or its word of mouth) was clever enough to use 2009 as a model year. This is soon enough to sound realistic, but still alot of time before the actual 2009 models are revealed, couldnt pick 2008 as a model year because manitou has either already shown off its 2008 models or will be in the very near future-even though if manitou were to showcase a fork it would be a 2008.

    #2-if its so new and in prototype mode why do the stanctions show sign of wear, as well as the qr20 dropout-which also is outdated (compare to a travis)

    #3-Polished aluminum crowns? what was the last high end fork to do that?, and it looks way too similar to an 04

    #4-it still has the mrdx stickers on it, now im not sure what exactly that means, but i read here- http://www.vorb.org.nz/ftopict-63313.html that is has something to do with the 04 dorados

    i think its a hoax and the con artist even has a sense of humour-he kept the spv sticker on
    why don't you save me some trouble and kick your own ass?

  54. #54
    Disco-Superfly
    Reputation: Jake_HT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    4,850
    lol
    <TABLE class=tborder id=post3334071 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2>potvinwannab </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1>This message is hidden because potvinwannab is on your ignore list.</SPAN>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

  55. #55
    Thats not a picture of me
    Reputation: potvinwannab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    939
    i dun get it
    why don't you save me some trouble and kick your own ass?

  56. #56
    moaaar shimz
    Reputation: tacubaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,116
    Quote Originally Posted by j_a_k_e_69@hotmail.com
    lol
    <TABLE class=tborder id=post3334071 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2>potvinwannab </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1>This message is hidden because potvinwannab is on your ignore list.</SPAN>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Actually he aported an excelent post to this forum

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by potvinwannab
    this REALLY appears to be jus a normal dorado with a sticker kit.

    #1-The person who made this up (its on several forums-either its a hoax, or its word of mouth) was clever enough to use 2009 as a model year. This is soon enough to sound realistic, but still alot of time before the actual 2009 models are revealed, couldnt pick 2008 as a model year because manitou has either already shown off its 2008 models or will be in the very near future-even though if manitou were to showcase a fork it would be a 2008.

    #2-if its so new and in prototype mode why do the stanctions show sign of wear, as well as the qr20 dropout-which also is outdated (compare to a travis)

    #3-Polished aluminum crowns? what was the last high end fork to do that?, and it looks way too similar to an 04

    #4-it still has the mrdx stickers on it, now im not sure what exactly that means, but i read here- http://www.vorb.org.nz/ftopict-63313.html that is has something to do with the 04 dorados

    i think its a hoax and the con artist even has a sense of humour-he kept the spv sticker on
    #1-The person who posted this has connections... I would refer to him as being "hooked up". Check some of his older threads if you want to.

    #2-They could potentially be using an older fork chassis to try out new technology. By the way, that is not qr20. qr20 suggests a quick release, not pinch bolts.

    #3-The latest fork seen with polished crowns is probably one of the 2008 Manitou offerings... poke around online, you might see some.

    #4-Old stickers wouldn't attract unwanted interest for a very early prototype. Also, as I stated above, they might be using an old inverted chassis to try out some new technology while they are doing parallel development on a new chassis. However, I am not sure about this part, hopefully pvflyer can chime in about this.

    I do not believe this to be a hoax. Other trustworthy sources have also vouched for there being a new DH fork in the pipeline for 2009. Granted, a lot could change by the time it is being released, and things could always stretch out into 2010, but either way a new fork is coming.

  58. #58
    Thats not a picture of me
    Reputation: potvinwannab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    939
    how could they use an older fork chasis if the stanctions were beefed up to 36 mm? oh and sorry i said qr20 i just read somewhere that thats what they used

    i do however agree with you about the stickers throwing of competition, but why out of all the sponsored riders and big name people manitou has, would they let pvflyer or some other joe be one of the first very privileged people to actually see it

    yes there is a new fork coming-but it isnt a dorado
    why don't you save me some trouble and kick your own ass?

  59. #59
    Stray Bullet
    Reputation: Nagaredama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,273
    Seems rather odd Hayes would put a competitor's brake system on one of their prototypes.

  60. #60
    Stray Bullet
    Reputation: Nagaredama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,273
    More pictures from Pinkbike






  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hardtails Are Better's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    Seems rather odd Hayes would put a competitor's brake system on one of their prototypes.
    At least it has a Revox....

  62. #62
    moaaar shimz
    Reputation: tacubaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,116
    Aparently only 2 have been made and they are "80%" done in the R&D. Someone said it will be on Hayes tent on Crankworx so I'll take a took and some pics when I get there

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    459
    i'm pretty sure its real. the pinkbike article says

    "On my way back to my truck I spotted a fancy looking fork over at the Hayes trailer. Seems to me that this Prototype might be a new version of the Dorado. The stickers are there to lead us astray, but that there is a nice looking prototype from the Manitou camp. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of the wood work in the next few years from Manitou."

    here's the whole article, the fork section is toward the bottom
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Gala-se...worx-2007.html

  64. #64
    moaaar shimz
    Reputation: tacubaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,116
    Hm...... I'll have to ask Hayes technicians this weekend

  65. #65
    Mountain Cycle Member
    Reputation: cHoc Nr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    More pictures from Pinkbike

    Did former Dorado's have a cableguide at the lower crown?
    And if it is a standard MRD X works dorado 04/05, then why does it have a normal dorado uppercrown, instead of de MRD uppercrown
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    To my knowlegde Dorado's always had 3 bolt lowercrowns, not 2 bolt.
    shoot me again, I ain't dead yet

    I do not have mountainbikes, I have Mountain Cycles

  66. #66
    Thats not a picture of me
    Reputation: potvinwannab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    939
    i'm pretty sure its real. the pinkbike article says

    "On my way back to my truck I spotted a fancy looking fork over at the Hayes trailer. Seems to me that this Prototype might be a new version of the Dorado. The stickers are there to lead us astray, but that there is a nice looking prototype from the Manitou camp. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of the wood work in the next few years from Manitou."

    here's the whole article, the fork section is toward the bottom
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Gala-se...worx-2007.html

    its already been cleared up-its really going to happen and manitou did indeed disguise it with older stickers, it seems its under wraps (probably doesnt even use spv)
    why don't you save me some trouble and kick your own ass?

  67. #67
    sixsixtysix
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    Plus it comes with a cup holder! (the lower crown... or should i say the massive hole in the lower crown) i hate those forks. felt like poo when i pushed on one. maybe they ride better... but i won't take my chances.
    Typical... feels like poo when i push on it, so its gotta suck. If you havn't ridden one, then you really can't comment

  68. #68
    J'aime le Dunkeld
    Reputation: kenneththecurtain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    110
    Did anyone ever find out if these are for real?

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1
    They seem to be on display at eurobike.. http://picasaweb.google.de/TFJ777/Eu...88454402662162

  70. #70
    REQUIRED FOR ADRENALINE!!
    Reputation: Gravity Assist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by mace2
    interesting... what are the benefits of an inverted fork over a normal one? obviously it will be less stiff..... so what's better about it?

    Advantages to inverted forks:

    1.) they look cooler,
    2) no arch to limit tire sizing
    3) better turning radius
    4) almost complete protection from ever scratching your stantions.
    5) why do you think they use inverted forks on Moto cross bikes?

    On a further note for everyone else:

    MYTHS BUSTERS!!!
    For the record, the ond dorado might have flex'd a little because was carbon wrapped, which did flex after you crashed it hard because of carbon fiber's horribly weak tollerance to blunt force trama.

    This Dorado, however, seems to have completely metal stantions. Plus 6lbs? thats rediculously light! Right up their with the Boxxer WC!

    The Travis line was an improvement, and was more than capable of taking over The Sherman line. It was, however, NOT a better fork than the Dorado.. The Dorado was the best DH fork ( probably manitou's best fork period ) that manitou ever put into production. They where stupid to discontinue it, and are smart to bring it back, After their achievment of a more than horrible record for crappy products i.e.) stance kingpin, the older swinger 6-ways, etc...

    Now that Hayes took over, I think a lot of things will be changing. I hope its not too late for manitou to come out of their slump. I really hope they do make it... No one likes to see a company fall.
    I'm always right. I thought I wasn't once, but I was wrong.

  71. #71
    REQUIRED FOR ADRENALINE!!
    Reputation: Gravity Assist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    329
    Stable PlatForm Valve... Manitous answer to competing with Rockshox's motion control, Fox's inertia Valve..etc...

    Both SPV dampening In Manitou's forks kinda blows... Their TPC+ however, is OK....
    can't say too much about the intrinsic in their forks, but it kicks ass in their rear shocks.
    I'm always right. I thought I wasn't once, but I was wrong.

  72. #72
    REQUIRED FOR ADRENALINE!!
    Reputation: Gravity Assist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Assist
    Stable PlatForm Valve... Manitous answer to competing with Rockshox's motion control, Fox's inertia Valve..etc...

    Both SPV dampening In Manitou's forks kinda blows... Their TPC+ however, is OK....
    can't say too much about the intrinsic in their forks, but it kicks ass in their rear shocks.





    I stupidly forgot to quote this to another posting... sorry for it being out of place....Please ignore.
    I'm always right. I thought I wasn't once, but I was wrong.

  73. #73
    moaaar shimz
    Reputation: tacubaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,116
    I didnt see anything in the Hayes booth up there in Whistler

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    109
    When exactly are the new Dorados suppose to hit the market?

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Slack_er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    216
    1. It's a Manipoo

    2. It's ugly

    3. It's a Manipoo

  76. #76
    REQUIRED FOR ADRENALINE!!
    Reputation: Gravity Assist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by mace2
    interesting... what are the benefits of an inverted fork over a normal one? obviously it will be less stiff..... so what's better about it?
    Stiffness might be the only advantage standard forks have over Inverted forks.


    It might not be as stiff, but the chances of the stantions being scratch during crashes and stuff is substantially less. Not having an arch might, in fact, make it a less stiff fork, but not having an arch also does not limit tire size like a lot of standard forks do.

    It was said to me long ago from both Manitou's and Marzocchi's phone tech's, that the main reason for moving away from inverted was that you could basically get the same performance out of a standard fork without the weight.

    If The guy who posted this is correct, and this fork is only 6lbs in weight, that pretty much puts it up their with the Boxxer WC, (the lightest fork I've ever heard of so far at 6.0lbs estimated) which is, in turn, lighter than any other standard fork so far. And from what I hear, the Boxxer WC has its fair share of flex issues. So for a fork in its class, it might not be a bad alternative to the current crop of forks available.

    I think it will be interesting to see how it will handle. I have wondered for a while what would happen if one of the 4 major fork companies brought back an inverted fork and gave it their current technology. I must say that I am pretty exited... we shall se what this brings..

    Who knows, maybe Marzocchi will bring back the Shiver! Imagine a Shiver RC2X( if that is even possible given an inverted set-up), or something along the lines of that? After putting a fork out like that, How many of you would still buy the 888?

    After Manitou puts out the dorado, how many of you are going to still buy a travis???
    I'm always right. I thought I wasn't once, but I was wrong.

  77. #77
    J'aime le Dunkeld
    Reputation: kenneththecurtain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Slack_er
    1. It's a Manipoo

    2. It's ugly

    3. It's a Manipoo
    It's a lot of things, but its not ugly. Plus, if it does exist, its not going to use that chassis if its 36mm. Also, now that hayes have bought manitou, the quality control should get sorted. People forget they made some good forks.

  78. #78
    Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Reputation: Acme54321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,151
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Assist
    Stable PlatForm Valve... Manitous answer to competing with Rockshox's motion control, Fox's inertia Valve..etc...

    Both SPV dampening In Manitou's forks kinda blows... Their TPC+ however, is OK....
    can't say too much about the intrinsic in their forks, but it kicks ass in their rear shocks.
    SPV was around before motion control.

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DHFreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    189
    To my knowlegde Dorado's always had 3 bolt lowercrowns, not 2 bolt.[/QUOTE]

    '05 Dorado's had a 2-bolt lower crown.

    Mike

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation: konut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,472
    my bad sorry.
    Last edited by konut; 09-01-2007 at 05:15 PM.

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    8
    Look at this:
    http://picasaweb.google.de/TFJ777/Eu...88454402662162

    it's from eurobike 2007!

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation: konut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,472
    sorry pvflyer i stand corrected.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  83. #83
    Bike Ninja |||
    Reputation: chooofoojoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,037
    i hope those stickers are a fake. i don't want to see more spv forks.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

  84. #84
    the goose is loose!
    Reputation: rm_racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,276
    doesn't look like an SPV fork. don't see any spv stickers on this one.

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation: konut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,472
    http://foto.mtbtr.com/eurobike2007/parts/

    you will have to scrole through but its in there somewhere.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.