2009 Camelback Mtn. DH & DS Series !!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

2009 Camelback Mtn. DH & DS Series !!!!

It's official, just got off the phone not to long ago with the GM to the mountain. " Art and I are very excited about the series next year " was the quote from management. After more than a couple of meetings, phone calls, emails, help from friends this series is on the map for 2009. There are many plans at the resort for more than just mountain biking....Mountain Coaster, Zip-Line, Climbing wall, etc. We were fortunate enough to get an ear and was looked at as an opportunity. The action sports park is to be done for 2010 anchored by a new high end hotel. When this is complete the mountain plans are to be fully dedicated to the sport and wants to go 7 days a week in just a few years. LIFT ACCESS in PA ! This is a red cross / Grass Roots effort to get this started. I am happy to say the the trail builders will consist of a team responsible for the Glen Park Trails and the Lehigh Trails. If you have riden there hopefully you will agree these are the best shuttles within the region. Now we have full cooperation and support from a major resort to build DH Trails & a Legit DS Track.

Here is how the series plans to be laid out:

* 3 Race Series both DH & DS
    *USAC format
    *Possible State Championship & other series stop
    *50/50 Pro Payout
    *Cash Series payout
    *High end quality part prizes for series from Troy Lee, Profile, etc.

*More details to come with an official announcement !!

Feel free to post ideas, things you would like to see happen. This is a Rider inspired event, and feel we are proud to have the first series in PA for a few years now. Any help is always welcomed. Let's make this happen for PA and the sport !!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm assuming these are the guys http://www.bikevmb.com who will be helping with trail building?

Sounds promising.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    This at the time has no association with VMB.

mtbr member
    What are the plans (if any) for general admission lift access riding in 2009?
    ------------------------------------------------------------

He who dies with the most toys wins...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    this is good news. Another park in the area is great for the community, however, it will be very hard for them to survive considering that Diablo is an hour away and has an entire mountain of trails and features. pkill is a little further. Camelback needs the help of someone like gravitylogic if they really want to get in on the game, trusting local trailbuilders is sketchy. All the top bikeparks these days have experienced, professional trailbuilders.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nycfreerider
    Camelback needs the help of someone like gravitylogic if they really want to get in on the game, trusting local trailbuilders is sketchy. All the top bikeparks these days have experienced, professional trailbuilders.
    Couldn't agree more with this statement...there needs to be pros involved in order to have quality trails built. As for Diablo, no one will be able to "compete" with Diablo since they have simply been in the game for way longer than anyone else. I can tell you this, after spending last weekend at 7 Springs there were a LOT of riders on the trails, many more than last year at the same time. And I continue to read about how many folks, like myself, who are coming from Philly. I ride Camelback in the winter and it is only a bit over an hour from my place. Cant tell you how fast I would jump on a season pass to CB if it were offered.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

He who dies with the most toys wins...

AllDayinPA
    Yeah! Can't wait! It's about time these ski resorts let us come shred. Hey what makes a professional trail builder. Let me know where I can get my degree. JK, I'm sure these guys know what they are doing. I've riden at Lehigh those, trails rip. In fact they have collegiate races there now. This year they had over 300 riders which was way more than I saw at the last Diablo race. Love Diablo's freeride trails, for the other stuff I can't afford to ride there every weekend. All I know Camelback is way closer for me I would love to see these guys be successful. WERD

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMachine1
    Yeah! Can't wait! It's about time these ski resorts let us come shred. Hey what makes a professional trail builder. Let me know where I can get my degree. JK, I'm sure these guys know what they are doing. I've riden at Lehigh those, trails rip. In fact they have collegiate races there now. This year they had over 300 riders which was way more than I saw at the last Diablo race. Love Diablo's freeride trails, for the other stuff I can't afford to ride there every weekend. All I know Camelback is way closer for me I would love to see these guys be successful. WERD
    Everyone would like them to be successful, hence the need to have qualified trailbuilders from the start. building trails at your local state park does nowhere near qualify you to being an expert trailbuilder. Unless they've built trails at ski resorts, then they would not have the same experience and trusting a local crew to build dh trails at a resort is sketchy. ie heavy machinery, etc. gravitylogic, diablo and highland seem to have it dialed. the point is, why take the chance with local yocals when they could just hire someone with proven track record. ie gravitylogic

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by nycfreerider
    thiCamelback needs the help of someone like gravitylogic if they really want to get in on the game, trusting local trailbuilders is sketchy. All the top bikeparks these days have experienced, professional trailbuilders.
    I disagree......take some really good local trail makers....send them to Whistler, Keystone, Snoeshoe, a resort above whistler(forgot name)...then let them build. Cheaper and probably just has good or better lines.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

AllDayinPA
    No doubt, I don't think state park trail builders wouldn't be the way to go either. That would be more like xc or whatever. There is a park crew put together from what I hear. If its the group I think it is, there are at least 3-4 Pro riders that would be building as well as a few top expert riders. The guys, trail, crew, gravity logic, whoever, consist of the same type of riders don't they? I'd rather a group of riders that want to do something new put their hearts in rather than a slam bam thank you mam crew come in. Diablo's trails have definately come a long way since the beginning. I know because I've seen the evolution of Diablo take place.
    Sounds like from the first post things have already been figured out. Let's see what happens with the new folk. Honestly, from all the **** you hear about it's time for some fresh ideas. Not to mention if its the trails I've riden mentioned above, don't think anybody will be disappointed. Cheers to the people that got something started !!

mtbr member
    I gotta say SMT has a good idea here. Anyway it's great to here about a local dh series. I'll be sure to race at Camelback next year
    Team _________

eci
    wow!!! im stoked to here this is happening. Heard a few mumbles a few mos ago but this is very good news. Def get the rpr guys involved because they know that mtn better than anyone

AllDayinPA
    Werd

eci
    There are many many trails that have been built in that area that are super fun. The local trail builders definetly know what they are doing when it come to flow and rideability. I took some of my colorado buds to cb and gp and they had a blast on the trails back east. i'll def be flying back to ride my bike down cb as fast as possible.

I wish i still lived a few miles from cb, i have snow slid every part of the woods their and know theirs some great trail possibilities! A dual slalom course down pharoah to bactrain would we crazy!!

Theres also a sweet woods trail off of the west side of rhodo that follows the snow blowing piping that could be pretty cool too.

I'm super stoked for you guys!

Please build another punch bowl!!!

AllDayinPA
    What's the camping scene gonna be? Any campgrounds near by?

eci
    Yeah theres a couple campgrounds within 30 mins. there's also an upper parking lot that CB doesnt take advantage of most of the year that would be perfect for camping and pits

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMachine1
    What's the camping scene gonna be? Any campgrounds near by?

Members who have read this thread: 0