2007 marzocchi 66 SL1- Should I???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

2007 marzocchi 66 SL1- Should I???

Whats up? I am about to pull the trigger on a new unused 2007 66 sl1 with a 1.5 steerer for $350.00. I read the reviews and searched the forums good and bad but can't decide if I should or shouldn't get it. Any advice is appreciated, especially first hand. BTW it will be replacing a 2005 Sherman that I have had to ride for a while now, and as you can tell I am on a budget or I'd probably get something better. So, what do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Offdeez
    Whats up? I am about to pull the trigger on a new unused 2007 66 sl1 with a 1.5 steerer for $350.00. I read the reviews and searched the forums good and bad but can't decide if I should or shouldn't get it. Any advice is appreciated, especially first hand. BTW it will be replacing a 2005 Sherman that I have had to ride for a while now, and as you can tell I am on a budget or I'd probably get something better. So, what do you guys think?
    Ive got one on my glory, not aftermarket though.
    ive had a fair few problems, but they seem easy fixed.
    it feels good, but had wind down which i had the fork sent away and it came back exactly the same just didnt wind down, so it still made some stupid compression noise, like a clack noise, not cool.

Professional Troll
    Get it, I have one, they are excellent, period. It is like, smooth, reliable, and low maintenance. I use it for XC/FR/DH. It has gotten pushed reasonably hard, and still works fine, just change the oil once in a while, and make sure you to the PAR piston mod.

biking is fun
    It seems they are 50/50 for having problems. i had mine and beat the crap out of it for 1.5 seasons. it was my favorite fork that i have owned. never had a single problem with it. i only just recently got rid of it when i crashed bad and took chunks out of the stanchions.

Im not sure why people do the par piston mod unless they are not freeriding much. i loved that i could run it super plush for the first half then have it ramp up a ton for the last half. i could huck 8 feet to poor tranny and still not bottom it out but it would be plush enough to not beat the crap out of me on the bumpy downhill. I rode it at whistler and never bottomed it either. its a great fork.

Outcast
    As stated above, there is about a 50/50 chance that you may have auto wind-down issues. Marzocchi can fix that for you.

The reason some people remove the PAR piston is that they get no where near full travel with it in there, and yes, even if they are free-riding. Bubba, obviously, this was not your experience, but it was many other people's experience.
    $350 is a fair price. Good luck with the fork.

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    The reason some people remove the PAR piston is that they get no where near full travel with it in there, and yes, even if they are free-riding. Bubba, obviously, this was not your experience, but it was many other people's experience.
    $350 is a fair price. Good luck with the fork.
    I have heard the same problem with the 08 talas 36's not getting all of the travel. maybe im weird but i like that in a fork. i enjoy only braking into the last inch on really hard hits. i hate the feeling of bottoming a fork.

if its any help since i loved my 66 ata so much im putting an 09 marz 888 ata on my new DH/FR bike. tuning the different parts of the stroke is such an awesome feature in a Big hit fork IMO.

Outcast
    For many sl owners, they couldn't get anywhere near that last inch, no matter how hard the hit.
    I, and quite a few other riders are of the opinion that a properly set up fork should use all the travel, at that if set up correctly, you will bottom out the fork or shock at least once on a dh section of your ride that day.
    To each his own.

biking is fun
    I guess it depends on if you prefer a more linear or progressive fork. i guess since i freeride and jump mostly and DH on occasion i enjoy a progressive fork. my 09 fox talas rc2 feels so weird to me cause its very linear. it seems like i have to either have it plush for trails and bottom it out on drops or stiff for drops and get beat on the trail.

thats also the reason i didn't like my RS totem solo air.

i liked the 66 cause it felt linear for the first half and progressive for the second. I guess i got lucky cause mine did get most of its travel but rarely bottomed.

but like you said to each his own.

Members who have read this thread: 0