2007 marz 888 RV- Mtbr.com
    freeride jerk

2007 marz 888 RV

I have an 06 manitou travis, wanna upgrade to an 888. I was just wondering if the RV is a good model. Im not sure but it doesnt look like it has very many adjustments, please correct me if im wrong. Should i go with one of these or save up for an Ata, sl, rc2 etc...
    Thanx for your info
    TJ
    SHANTY

...abuse these forks.
    I had a 66 RV and it was a good fork to huck with, but felt like crap on multiple, fast hits. Id say save for the rc2
    Dont pinkbike my mtbr

mtbr member
    It's not a good model. It's basically the same as the older SSVF ported orifice damped 888's that sucked.

Get a used RC2X

StraightOuttaCompton
    ya it isn't all that great, but i have a ?. how do your arms feel after riding a travis? Are the tired and pumped? i was asking because i was thinking about buying a bike with travis 180mm on it.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

freeride jerk
    Quote Originally Posted by Djponee
    ya it isn't all that great, but i have a ?. how do your arms feel after riding a travis? Are the tired and pumped? i was asking because i was thinking about buying a bike with travis 180mm on it.
    No man not at all. At least not for me. I think they do very well on high speed technical downhill and are also pretty good at freeride. ive had mine for almost a year and a half now and havent had any problems. I just want to upgrade to an 888 cause ive heard lots of good things about them, and ive been wanting to try them out. But ya the travis is a pretty solid fork.
    SHANTY

mtbr member
    Travis's have a good damper.

StraightOuttaCompton
    thanks, that is reassuring, i ave never ridden one but the sherman i rode was a very rough ride.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Thunder Chunky
    thanks, that is reassuring, i ave never ridden one but the sherman i rode was a very rough ride.
    Probably cause it wasnt devolved...once you devolve them they are super smooth but bottom out on everthing. If they arent devolved they are great hucking/fr forks and mine never bottomed out. Now that mine is devolved it's not such a great fr fork but is pretty decent for dh. Anyways if you get a Travis get the one with the TPC+ damper instead of the SPV

freeride jerk
    What bike are you looking to get with the travis on it?
    SHANTY

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj Pope
    No man not at all. At least not for me. I think they do very well on high speed technical downhill and are also pretty good at freeride. ive had mine for almost a year and a half now and havent had any problems. I just want to upgrade to an 888 cause ive heard lots of good things about them, and ive been wanting to try them out. But ya the travis is a pretty solid fork.
    change your oil and keep riding the fork if u like it....changing the oil will make it feel bran new
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    My sherman is ok I dont hate it. The travel lock out went out of wack for abit. can you control the travel on the 888? Thats the only reason I wouldnt want to go 888. I think 66 might be better, but its up to how and what you ride. Was your travis SC or DC?
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Spent a little time on the 888 RV on a Rocky RMX. It was OK on the bigger hits but the small bump and high speed chatter bumps beat me up. My arms were shot after an hour or two.

My Pike had less travel but felt better than the 888 RV. Its an 888 in body only. Save your $$$.

freeride jerk
    Quote Originally Posted by thegromit
    My sherman is ok I dont hate it. The travel lock out went out of wack for abit. can you control the travel on the 888? Thats the only reason I wouldnt want to go 888. I think 66 might be better, but its up to how and what you ride. Was your travis SC or DC?
    im a DC guy.
    SHANTY

Members who have read this thread: 0