2007 888 SL ATA vs. 2007 888 RC2X- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

New question here. 2007 888 SL ATA vs. 2007 888 RC2X

I can't tell the difference between these two forks except for the travel adjust?
    Go BIG or Go HOME

banned
    I think the sl is lighter right? idk

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    The SL ATA is air sprung.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    The SL ATA is air sprung.
    and the other is the coil over and oil RC2x
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    And the SL ATA has adjustable travel.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    above posts are correct the SL ATA ia an Air fork and is about 1.5 lbs lighter. I have the SL ATA and like it alot so far very plush and has not bottomed out yet.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fsdmusic
    above posts are correct the SL ATA ia an Air fork and is about 1.5 lbs lighter. I have the SL ATA and like it alot so far very plush and has not bottomed out yet.
    Doesn't this fork have a separate air chamber just for bottoming out? I would think that this would make it real hard to bottom out, seem like a sweet feature.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The sl ata seems to me to have all the same adjustments of the rc2x plus travel adjust. Both forks have the separate botom out chamber right?

What is your guy's opinions on this fork?
    Last edited by CountryBoy; 03-27-2007 at 04:15 PM.
    Go BIG or Go HOME

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by VP Not Free
    Doesn't this fork have a separate air chamber just for bottoming out? I would think that this would make it real hard to bottom out, seem like a sweet feature.
    Yeah, it's a second air chamber. There's no cartridge, just
    the two chambers. One on top of the left leg and one on bottom.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fsdmusic
    Yeah, it's a second air chamber. There's no cartridge, just
    the two chambers. One on top of the left leg and one on bottom.
    How does this fork compare to the Boxxer WC? Is the SL ATA 888 like the Boxxer WC, but stronger?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    How does this fork compare to the Boxxer WC? Is the SL ATA 888 like the Boxxer WC, but stronger?
    Sorry I cant help you there Ive never ridden the Boxxer WC and I'm sure you will find many different opinions on the forks, whats right for me may not be right for you. I would try some out on friends bikes etc do your research compare the features and benefits and pull the trigger on the one you feel most comfortable with.

My personal opinion is every big name manufacture has a good product especially when we are talking about forks over $1000 for me it came down to weight of fork (yes I know the boxxer is lighter than the Sl ATA) and reliability. I didn't even consider a Boxxer because I knew I wanted a Marzocchi. It is a name you can trust and they are pretty close to me, so if I have a problem I can drive there and they will fix it for me and I can be riding the same or next day.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryBoy
    The sl ata seems to me to have all the same adjustments of the rc2x plus travel adjust. Both forks have the separate botom out chamber right?

What is your guy's opinions on this fork?
    Seems like an excellent fork, but I think it is so new, that there are not many reviews on it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Seems like an excellent fork, but I think it is so new, that there are not many reviews on it.
    I think they both seem to be great forks. They have all the same adjustments except one air and one coil. I have an air shock now and I like it, but I don't know what a long travel air fork would be like. Which would you rather have?
    Go BIG or Go HOME

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryBoy
    I think they both seem to be great forks. They have all the same adjustments except one air and one coil. I have an air shock now and I like it, but I don't know what a long travel air fork would be like. Which would you rather have?
    I ordered an SL ATA about 5 minutes ago to replace my '07 Fox 40 (with it's paper mache lowers) - the few reviews of the fork on mtbr at this point are all good, guess I'll be finding out firsthand within a week or so.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I ordered an SL ATA about 5 minutes ago to replace my '07 Fox 40 (with it's paper mache lowers) - the few reviews of the fork on mtbr at this point are all good, guess I'll be finding out firsthand within a week or so.
    Please let us know how this fork is, I would like to buy one to replace my 05 Fox 36 RC2.I am having the same problem a lot of other biker's are having, bottoming out on 3' jumps. The high speed seems to very little.

Bike Ninja |||
    Josh, you're getting a SL? you don't like your epoxied 40 lowers? lol. Thats all good, you had bad luck with that 40, first ride = scratch, second ride = hole.... cool. i'll enjoy seeing it when it comes in.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    Josh, you're getting a SL? you don't like your epoxied 40 lowers? lol. Thats all good, you had bad luck with that 40, first ride = scratch, second ride = hole.... cool. i'll enjoy seeing it when it comes in.
    Nah - Max hooked it up on the lowers, I'd happily ride the fork if I wasn't concerned about it happening again mid season. I figure I'll do better to sell the fork while it's new (once my new lowers and stanchion arrive) and get something that stands up to my ham-fisted ways a little better. I'm pretty stoked to see the SL myself

Spanish Marathon Racer
    I will also get one of these 888 SL next tuesday I think. I will write here my impresions
    "Win gives you glory, continue to your last breath gives yo pride, surrender is not an option"
    "Like a beast freed from its chains, I pedal like If I had to scape from hell. As sweat falls from my face, my phantoms, my fears, are left behind until they are points at the horizon."

I wish I had...
    How hard is it to set up the 888sl?
    I wish I had...

Bike Ninja |||
    easy as a shock pump, and at least one hand. Brain is optional on this one.

Old No. 7
    Nah - Max hooked it up on the lowers, I'd happily ride the fork if I wasn't concerned about it happening again mid season. I figure I'll do better to sell the fork while it's new (once my new lowers and stanchion arrive) and get something that stands up to my ham-fisted ways a little better. I'm pretty stoked to see the SL myself
    Story on the 40?
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by fred.r
    Story on the 40?
    Idaho springs has nasty pointy rocks..... essentially, a hole got poked in the lowers of his 40, and max (my coworker) pc-11'd the hole (we used a combo of aluminum plate, with pc-11 epoxy to plug the hole, ya. pc-11 can plug a hole on a submarine's hull... tough stuff.)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Does anybody have any up-dates on the SL ATA 888?

Members who have read this thread: 0