2007 or 2008 Domain 318 u-turn- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

2007 or 2008 Domain 318 u-turn

I found a deal on both of these forks, but the 2007 can be had for $70-80 cheaper than the 2008. I tried searching and the only thing I could come up with is a difference between the steerer tubes, and the 2007 one being weak? Can anyone verify this? Are there any other significant differences?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    My first question is, where did you find these deals? I'm looking to put a Domain 318 on my BR. I found an '07 for $400 on one of the online bike shops.
    I'd also like to know about the '07 steer tube integrity. That may influence my decision if it's that bad.
    Also, go read the reviews on the '07 in the Reviews section. There are something like 20 submissions that resulted in the fork getting a rating of 4.65/5.
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/suspension/2...3_1550crx.aspx
    I didn't see one entry that mentioned a weak steer tube. I think we'll be OK with this fork.
    Jump it onto something off of something or over something.

There's more to freeriding than dirt jumps.

moaaar shimz
    I'd go with the 2007.

mtbr "member"

Check the travel

there are 2 domains. the fixed 160 or 180 mm travel and the Uturn that maxes out at 160 mm travel. I have the 2007 180 mm travel domain - coil. I bought it new on ebay for $310. Best $$ I've spent in a long time. I don't need the U-turn and I haven't missed it on my fork yet. Haven't used it once on my Pike.

As for the steerer being weak, my guess and this is ONLY a guess, is that is someone's opinion on the 1 1/8 steerer that comes on alot of the domains. Some have 1.5 steerers which I assume is probably where this supposition came from - someone claiming that the 1 1/8 COULD fail with a long travel fork. Maybe. I don't know of any recalls or posted failure discussions on the Domain steerer. Of course, I may have missed something but as for now, LOVE my domain. But remember, it's a cromo steerer, not an aluminum one. Narrower cromo can be as strong as a fatter aluminum. Not sure how the crown/steerer interface would differ though. Get the one that has the travel you need for the lowest price.

REEK

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by Reek
    there are 2 domains. the fixed 160 or 180 mm travel and the Uturn that maxes out at 160 mm travel. I have the 2007 180 mm travel domain - coil. I bought it new on ebay for $310. Best $$ I've spent in a long time. I don't need the U-turn and I haven't missed it on my fork yet. Haven't used it once on my Pike.

As for the steerer being weak, my guess and this is ONLY a guess, is that is someone's opinion on the 1 1/8 steerer that comes on alot of the domains. Some have 1.5 steerers which I assume is probably where this supposition came from - someone claiming that the 1 1/8 COULD fail with a long travel fork. Maybe. I don't know of any recalls or posted failure discussions on the Domain steerer. Of course, I may have missed something but as for now, LOVE my domain. But remember, it's a cromo steerer, not an aluminum one. Narrower cromo can be as strong as a fatter aluminum. Not sure how the crown/steerer interface would differ though. Get the one that has the travel you need for the lowest price.

REEK
    He said 2007 and 2008 318 U-Turn so he means both are U-Turn 160mm max travel forks.

2008 Rockshox Domains can have problems with leaky seals/o-rings/whatever at the foot nuts or something. 2007 were primo and you get it cheaper.

mtbr "member"

OK, U-turns

Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    He said 2007 and 2008 318 U-Turn so he means both are U-Turn 160mm max travel forks.

2008 Rockshox Domains can have problems with leaky seals/o-rings/whatever at the foot nuts or something. 2007 were primo and you get it cheaper.
    In that case, let me revise my last sentence: get the one that has the travel you need, 160 max, for the lowest price.

didn't know the 08 had o-ring issues. I guess I lucked out going cheapo.

Singletrackworld.com has a nice old write up on the 07 RS line.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=2039

REEK

Canfield Brothers

Good job!

I have an 07 180mm and love it. One of the best forks I have owned.
    I have jumped and drop the sh!t out of it and it's fine. No steertube problems.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daway
    I found a deal on both of these forks, but the 2007 can be had for $70-80 cheaper than the 2008. I tried searching and the only thing I could come up with is a difference between the steerer tubes, and the 2007 one being weak? Can anyone verify this? Are there any other significant differences?
    I have a 08 Domain 318 U-Turn 160 and it's a great fork.
    I have had a problem with a leaking footnut O-Ring but I replaced it with a new one about a month ago and it's been fine since then.
    I haven't heard anything about a weak steerer tube.
    Where did you hear this? I would really like to know..
    Mine has a 1 1/8 Aluminum steerer instead of Cromo..
    Could that be the difference?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rmb_mike
    My first question is, where did you find these deals? I'm looking to put a Domain 318 on my BR. I found an '07 for $400 on one of the online bike shops.
    I'd also like to know about the '07 steer tube integrity. That may influence my decision if it's that bad.
    Also, go read the reviews on the '07 in the Reviews section. There are something like 20 submissions that resulted in the fork getting a rating of 4.65/5.
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/suspension/2...3_1550crx.aspx
    I didn't see one entry that mentioned a weak steer tube. I think we'll be OK with this fork.
    Haha well I'm pretty sure we both found the same website, I'm about to pull the trigger as this is an awesome deal with free shipping.

Members who have read this thread: 0