2006 66RC2x or 2006 66SL?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

2006 66RC2x or 2006 66SL?

OK so I bought a set of new 2006 66RC2X 170mm forks the day before both my bikes were stolen
    They were for my SX Trail (also had a 4" Preston FR ) but now I've decided to replace both bikes with just one bike, hopefully a Bottlerocket.
    The coil 66RC2X is too heavy to cart around on long rides so I was thinking of sending them back and getting some 2006 66SLs instead ? (slightly cheaper and about a pound lighter).
    Thing is, I want to go to Whistler for 3-4 weeks in the summer, should I keep the coil 66s for Whistler and get a lighter fork (36 float or Talas) for the rest of the year.
    Or will 2006 66 SLs be good enough/reliable enough for Whistler?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    whistler all depends on how you ride it. i have seen a guy killing it on a single speed hardtail, but he was alot better rider than most people. if you are a smooth rider the sl will be just fine, if you are not then i think it would still be fine but the coil might be a little better. bottlerockets are sick, i am sad i had to sell mine.
    that sucks both your bikes got stolen, i too have had bikes stolen

mtbr member
    It all depends if your gonna spec your Bottlerocket with a coil or an air rear shock.

I have tested a '06 66 SL and it still feels not as quite compared to the RC2X. I'm not sure if you can have the 66SL WORK'd, cuz that could be done with the RC2X and it made it plusher. I do 20+XC mile rides with the RC2X and it feels very efficient when I turn the rebound in it's slowest setting and increase the low speed compression halfway.
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

Outcast
    aye-aye, you have another option, you could purchase the doppio cartridge for the '06 66sl, remove the x-cart from your fok's left leg, put the doppio in, remove the spring from the rc2 cartridge, and you have a 66sl.
    I know this works because I have a similar set-up, I have both the doppio cart and the x cart, and can switch back and forth as I desire.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    aye-aye, you have another option, you could purchase the doppio cartridge for the '06 66sl, remove the x-cart from your fok's left leg, put the doppio in, remove the spring from the rc2 cartridge, and you have a 66sl.
    I know this works because I have a similar set-up, I have both the doppio cart and the x cart, and can switch back and forth as I desire.
    Show off!!! Good call.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Renegade that's an awesome idea, i hadn't considered that.
    Can you then adjust the travel/height with the negative pressure like on an SL?

aaarrrggghh!

I've owned both.....

and IMO there is no comparison. The 06 SL felt like crap compared to the RC2X. This is on a Bottlerocket by the way. The SL is tempermental and sticky. Who cares about 1 pound. You can easily make that up by getting in better shape for your long rides.

In the '06 model year 66's I just wouldn't recommend the SL to anyone. Its the first Marz fork I've owned that I didn't like and I was alot happier to put the RC2X on it instead. Small bump compliance in addition to end stroke progession can't be matched by the air fork.

My .02 cents. Out.

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    dude where did you get the 06 66 rc2x? i have been lookin for one forever
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I got it here in the UK, it was the only new one i could find so i'm really reluctant to send it back.

Outcast
    aye-aye, yes, once you replace the x-cart with a doppio cart, and remove the spring from the rc2 side, you have a 66sl, so you can adjust the travel/ride height with a shock pump.

Ivan I respect your opinion, and know where you are coming from; I use to have the stiction issues and lack of small bump compliance, but now it's a thing of the past. Those symptoms come from one source; the doppio piston. The fit of the piston inside the cartridge body is very tight, and it's dry inside the cartridge. Opening up the cartridge, and greasing the piston, makes those symptoms disappear.
    Below is the cartridge disassembled:

And a close up of the piston:

Outcast
    I should also say that I prefer the feel of a coil sprung fork, so I took it a step further and put a coil spring on my doppio cartridge so that which ever set up I am using, it's all coil sprung. Warning: it is not easy to get a coil on the doppio cart.
    Below, a 170mm doppio cart with spring, and a 150mm x-cart, with the same spring.

moaaar shimz
    Grease the Doppio piston? I thought you needed a special tool to open up the Doppio cartridge.. how did you do you do it and did it mark a very big difference in performance?

I really like my 66 SL, I kinda like the feel of air as it is a bit plusher and more of a soft cloud feel offer the rough stuff... but if I was in your position, for Whistler I would go for a RC2x, I used one on Whistler and it performed extremely well.

SamIAm
    so renegade, you basically have a 66rc2x, and coil sprung sl with travel adjust then with just 2 interanal?
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

moaaar shimz
    Renegade has a double coil 66 SL as far as I believe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I run my RC2X with just one coil. I guess that gives me a 66RC2XL?

Saves about 200g if i recall correctly. still not as light as a SL but a great middle point.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    ^^^You're a weener!
    I have an 07 66 Rc2X, and a 07 888SL. Both are awesome. I find the 888sl feels just as good as my 66, and the 888 isn't completely broke in yet. Setup is key with the SL's Marz's setup guide is crap. You need to run much lower pressure, but never let the PAR pressure drop below the SFA. get it set right and you have a uber adjustable, plush active fork, with wicked bottoming control. Oh ya and its light.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Biffff
    ^^^You're a weener!
    I have an 07 66 Rc2X, and a 07 888SL. Both are awesome. I find the 888sl feels just as good as my 66, and the 888 isn't completely broke in yet. Setup is key with the SL's Marz's setup guide is crap. You need to run much lower pressure, but never let the PAR pressure drop below the SFA. get it set right and you have a uber adjustable, plush active fork, with wicked bottoming control. Oh ya and its light.
    I'm 200 lbs. Could you possibly give a setup tutorial with the steps in order for me? I have an 06 SL. Thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0