2005 Specialized Big Hit FSR VS. 2005 Giant Faith 2- Mtbr.com
    Freeriding is a LIFESTYLE
    May 2005

New question here. 2005 Specialized Big Hit FSR VS. 2005 Giant Faith 2

Well i was trying to figure out what bike to go with Big Hit FSR or Faith 2 and i decided to go with the Big Hit FSR over the Faith 2, and now I'm starting to think I should have went with the Faith 2. I ride extreme freeride, what bike do you guys think i should have went with?

mtbr member

If you tell us why you don't like the bighit then maybe we can help u. I have a Faith 1 and I love it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by specialized_darby
    Well i was trying to figure out what bike to go with Big Hit FSR or Faith 2 and i decided to go with the Big Hit FSR over the Faith 2, and now I'm starting to think I should have went with the Faith 2. I ride extreme freeride, what bike do you guys think i should have went with?
    narf faith......narfaith......naaarf......faith

Jm.
    mtbr member
    The faith is a great bike, the big advantage of the maestro system is that you get a solid rear triangle and much shorter linkage members, so it should make for a stiffer rear end, but the bighit is not "small" by any means. The maestro linkage system does what it claims, and is a real nice ride, but again, the bighit is a nice bike too. I would have let the geometry be the deciding factor, rather than the actual bikes, because they both perform very well.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    The faith is a great bike, the big advantage of the maestro system is that you get a solid rear triangle and much shorter linkage members, so it should make for a stiffer rear end, but the bighit is not "small" by any means. The maestro linkage system does what it claims, and is a real nice ride, but again, the bighit is a nice bike too. I would have let the geometry be the deciding factor, rather than the actual bikes, because they both perform very well.
    Actually..........The faith is nowhere near fully active under braking, and because of the "length" of the unified rear triangle there is more leverage against the small links and pivots. Drastically increasing rear flex.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zocchi ryder
    Actually..........The faith is nowhere near fully active under braking, and because of the "length" of the unified rear triangle there is more leverage against the small links and pivots. Drastically increasing rear flex.
    sorry to sound blunt, both are good bikes.

Uhhhhh...
    Wrong. Try again.
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    Wrong. Try again.
    My dad has the F1 and i have a big hit i can spend hours scrutinizing. Belive me. A fully active susp design will not let its caliper rotate around the rotor. The faith and the Vp-free are just a little better than a single pivot in this manor. both designs' calipers roll in towards the cock-pit during compresion. I may sound like a radical but it's true.

TNC
    noMAD man

Faith is a URT?

My dad has the F1 and i have a big hit i can spend hours scrutinizing. Belive me. A fully active susp design will not let its caliper rotate around the rotor. The faith and the Vp-free are just a little better than a single pivot in this manor. both designs' calipers roll in towards the cock-pit during compresion. I may sound like a radical but it's true.
    I think one of the things Sherpa was referring to was your comment about the Faith being a URT. I haven't even studied one very closely, but I'd find it hard to believe it's a URT. If it is, we've had a time warp.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    I think one of the things Sherpa was referring to was your comment about the Faith being a URT. I haven't even studied one very closely, but I'd find it hard to believe it's a URT. If it is, we've had a time warp.
    I'm sorry if i somehow said anything about either being a URT! (wich they arn't)

mtbr member
    I'm sorry if i somehow said anything about either being a URT! (wich they arn't)
    I meant the pivotless rear triangle. Not that the BB is part of the swingarm

Uhhhhh...
    I was mostly just stating that it was not a URT. Also, FSR bikes have alot more brake interaction then you, or specialized would like to believe.
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

Jm.
    mtbr member
    A fully active susp design will not let its caliper rotate around the rotor. .
    What are you talking about? The giant IS a fully active suspension design, but that has nothing to do with whether the caliper is going to rotate or not, what you are talking about is braking isolation, but fully active bikes are referencing the pivot location, wheelpath and interaction of chain forces, not braking forces.

The wheelpath of the giant maestro lets it pedal very well and remain fully active. I've ridden them and I don't detect any noticable braking interaction. I am comparing to my current FSR bike, and I've ridden plenty of FSRs and single pivots in the past, so I can tell when it "stiffens up".
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Buckle Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    What are you talking about? The giant IS a fully active suspension design, but that has nothing to do with whether the caliper is going to rotate or not, what you are talking about is braking isolation, but fully active bikes are referencing the pivot location, wheelpath and interaction of chain forces, not braking forces.

The wheelpath of the giant maestro lets it pedal very well and remain fully active. I've ridden them and I don't detect any noticable braking interaction. I am comparing to my current FSR bike, and I've ridden plenty of FSRs and single pivots in the past, so I can tell when it "stiffens up".
    Hmm, by looking at the bike it appears that the braking performance would be very similar to a single pivot. The Instant Center remains in "single pivot territory" throughout all of the travel.
    <><

mtbr member

actually the faith stays quite active under braking. There a slight bit of brake jack but it is the best braking bike i have ever rode ( and i've ridden a vp-free ).

mtbr member
    May 2004
    yeah, but the faith is the uglest bike ever made, and they blatently stole the DW design. get a 7 instead