2005 Giant DH Comp- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2005 Giant DH Comp

Hey there fella's,

I was wondering if anyone rides an 05' Giant DH Comp, or if you have any bro's/fo's that do? I have an opportunity to pick one up for $2g out the door as itís a left over from a special order, and in our area, thereís not a huge market for DH bikes so the owner is thinking about hooking me up. I had the 2004 model, and loved it. Looks like the major difference besides the fact that they lowered the top tube, worked out the suspension kinks with the loose bolt issue, and color, is the fork. Iím not real familiar with boxxers, so Iím a lil leery, although thereís a guy that rides with us and loves it. Would you compare it to say an 04 Super T performance wise? Iíve had a super t, slider +, breakout, dorado, shiver, and a z 150Ö Just curious if any of you have had any time on this particular bike, and especially, the fork. Should I jump on it for $2g, brand new in the box still, sounds like a great deal, I know itís not an 06í, and they did change the design for 06í, but heyÖ

mtbr member
    Specifications:
    frame ALUXX Aluminum, 8.25" Travel
    fork RockShox Boxxer Race 203mm Travel
    shock Manitou Swinger 6-Way Coil
    shifters SRAM X.9 Rear Only
    front derailleur Giant Chain Guide
    rear derailleur SRAM X.9
    brakes Hayes HFX-9 HD 8" Rotors
    levers Hayes
    cassette SRAM PG950 11-32T, 9 speed
    chain Shimano HG 53
    cranks Race Face Diablous X-Type 38T
    BBr Race Face X-Type
    rims Alex Supra BH 36H
    hubs Formula DH 36H
    spokes Stainless Steel 14G
    tires Michelin DH Comp 24.1 Soft 26x2.5"
    handlebar Easton EA50 DH 31.8mm
    stem Easton Vice 31.8mm
    headset FSA Pig DH Pro
    seatpost Easton EA50
    saddle WTB Power V
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    seems like a deal..you could always switch out the fork to one of your others.

mtbr member
    This guy I work with just got the 05 comp on closeout. I ride an 04 team and traded him frame, cranks, and rear wheel and gave him some money and put all my parts on it.
    Rides like a different bike, 150 hub from 135 feels alot stiffer and tracks better I think. The top tube feels way better for whips off the big stuff. Not sure about the boxxer, I roll with a rcx2 on the front and an avalanche on the back. The green is cool lookin, if you get it, use the red lock tight on your bolts and it should stay tight.
    I have been riddin the giant dh for 3 years now and I haven't found anything I like better.
    the bike ripz
    fu%k the Dukes, Im down with Boss HoGG

Glad to Be Alive
    under 2 g's....bran new..............get it
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
    yeah idk what to do either, not sure if i should sell my 03 SGS and get a real cool deal on a giant dh 05 frame and lots of components, im stuck
    ignore me, i dident want to make a new thread about it nor hijack your thread

a tight kick sound
    Rode one last year for a bit.
    Great ride. Fits like a glove ([email protected] even 190 lbs)
    Really wide stance though...100mm BBshell and 143 spindle puts the pedals WAY out there!!!
    Lowest link hangs way down and bounces off stuff nice Was a little hard to get used to. I learned to either bash through something or jump over the rocks if i could. Takes the washboards well, brakes well on the steep sections and doesn't corner as well as others just cause the pedals are right there when you go over sideways!
    Frame is pretty stiff, jumps really nicely and holds a line really nice...
    I learned quite a lot riding this rig around through all kinds of stuff.

Have gone to an uzzi vpx with an 888rc for this year. fit is a little different. I still have my Giant in case the uzzi does not live up to the Giant in the races I really liked the feel of this thing!

Cannot comment on the fork....Never ridden one!

Sounds like a good deal bro, if you are going to be racing I would hook your self up!!!

Booner

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by chronicrider
    This guy I work with just got the 05 comp on closeout. I ride an 04 team and traded him frame, cranks, and rear wheel and gave him some money and put all my parts on it.
    Rides like a different bike, 150 hub from 135 feels alot stiffer and tracks better I think. The top tube feels way better for whips off the big stuff. Not sure about the boxxer, I roll with a rcx2 on the front and an avalanche on the back. The green is cool lookin, if you get it, use the red lock tight on your bolts and it should stay tight.
    I have been riddin the giant dh for 3 years now and I haven't found anything I like better.
    the bike ripz
    How did you swap a 135mm hub for a 150mm? Weren't the 04's 150 x 12 rear end?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    How did you swap a 135mm hub for a 150mm? Weren't the 04's 150 x 12 rear end?
    no, the 04 had a 135mm.The last year they made them they switched to a 150mm.
    buy the giant...
    fu%k the Dukes, Im down with Boss HoGG

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    the BoXXer suXXcks bigtime. I ride an '05 giant dh and I swapped out the boxxer for a shiver and have never looked back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    My friend has the Boxxer World Cup and an 05 888RC. He says he would rather use the 888 for every day riding but he likes the Boxxers to race with because they are lighter and lower the front end a little bit. I haven't really heard anything bad about the DH Comp and 2k seems like a good deal on just about any complete DH bike.

Members who have read this thread: 2