2002 stinky primo questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

2002 stinky primo questions

what up everybody, I just picked up an 02 stinky primo frame to build up as a trail bike and I have a few questions for those of you in the know.

1. what size seatpost?
    2. can you run an evil SRS chainguide?.
    3. anyone ever used a dhx air shock?.

thanks
    Easy

Just roll it......
    Easy,

I've got the same bike built up as my "AM" bike at 39 lbs.with burly components. I might try an air shock in the future, but my pushed vanilla RC is gonna be hard to give up. The DHX air is what's coming on the Coilair and a lot of folks have them on various bikes. There have been multiple cases of them being "stuck down" this is when the air leaks between chambers, I believe, and doesn't allow the shock to return to the uncompressed position. While this is somewhat limited, it's happened enough that Fox has addressed it and will take care of anyone with this problem. I'll probably sit on the sidelines until I know they've completely resolved the issue. Also, if you're a bigger dude, the DHX air will require a lot of air pressure to keep from bottoming with the Stinky's 3:1 leverage ratio. Something to consider.

Seatpost is 30.0. Thomson makes one along with IRD and Amoeba.

So, this is gonna be a trail bike with a single ring? Not sure I get the logic, but to each their own. Whatever chainguide you use (I have the MRP LRP), it won't be ISCG and will need to be sandwiched between the BB and the BB cup. In dual ring, the e-13 DRS and LRP work great. I see no reason why a SRS wouldn't as well.

Cheers,
    EBX

Pics of my bike built up "all mountain" style with a Flick plus fork and lighter wheels/tires.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    cool, thanks for the info. Right now I have it set up with 3 rings in the front because it will mainly see trail use, but I do have an evil srs sitting around that I was thinking about putting on for trips to the mountian. I am still waiting on the fox 36 to get in, but as soon as I get it built up I will post pics.

thanks again.

ez

Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Easy,

I've got the same bike built up as my "AM" bike at 39 lbs.with burly components. I might try an air shock in the future, but my pushed vanilla RC is gonna be hard to give up. The DHX air is what's coming on the Coilair and a lot of folks have them on various bikes. There have been multiple cases of them being "stuck down" this is when the air leaks between chambers, I believe, and doesn't allow the shock to return to the uncompressed position. While this is somewhat limited, it's happened enough that Fox has addressed it and will take care of anyone with this problem. I'll probably sit on the sidelines until I know they've completely resolved the issue. Also, if you're a bigger dude, the DHX air will require a lot of air pressure to keep from bottoming with the Stinky's 3:1 leverage ratio. Something to consider.

Seatpost is 30.0. Thomson makes one along with IRD and Amoeba.

So, this is gonna be a trail bike with a single ring? Not sure I get the logic, but to each their own. Whatever chainguide you use (I have the MRP LRP), it won't be ISCG and will need to be sandwiched between the BB and the BB cup. In dual ring, the e-13 DRS and LRP work great. I see no reason why a SRS wouldn't as well.

Cheers,
    EBX

Pics of my bike built up "all mountain" style with a Flick plus fork and lighter wheels/tires.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy_J
    cool, thanks for the info. Right now I have it set up with 3 rings in the front because it will mainly see trail use, but I do have an evil srs sitting around that I was thinking about putting on for trips to the mountian. I am still waiting on the fox 36 to get in, but as soon as I get it built up I will post pics.

thanks again.

ez
    Cool sounds good. The QR on the seatpost is a 34.9mm btw (if your frame doesn't have one).

EBX

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy_J
    what up everybody, I just picked up an 02 stinky primo frame to build up as a trail bike and I have a few questions for those of you in the know.

1. what size seatpost?
    2. can you run an evil SRS chainguide?.
    3. anyone ever used a dhx air shock?.

thanks
    Easy
    Duno if somebody answered already, too lazy to read.

1. Yes.
    2. Yes.
    3. You can, but the DHX Air lacks midstroke support.

Members who have read this thread: 0