2002 Kona Stinky With 6in Bombers, or Big Hit Spec?- Mtbr.com
    banned

What should I get, 2002 Kona Stinky With 6in Bombers, or Big Hit Spec?

What should I get, a Kona 2002 Stinky with a marzocchi 6 inch bomber fork, or a Big Hit spec. I am limited in money, only around $500 US, and I found both of these bikes for that price,(I'll tell you later where I found them so you can go check it out yourself) which one should I get?
    Last edited by oreo321321; 08-06-2004 at 05:15 PM.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by oreo321321
    What should I get, a Kona 2002 Stinky with a marzocchi 6 inch bomber fork, or a Big Hit spec. I am limited in money, only around $500 US, and I found both of these bikes for that price,(I'll tell you later where I found them so you can go check it out yourself) which one should I get?
    def kona. bighit spec just plain sucks.
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    neither...

dont waste ur money or summin ur either gunn throw out after a couple of weeks or snap in half...save up morre money then et and 05 stinky....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    get the stinky. what fork does it have on it?

Cynical Bystander
    Is the kona complete? Seems like a sweet deal. Go for it.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    neither...

dont waste ur money or summin ur either gunn throw out after a couple of weeks or snap in half...save up morre money then et and 05 stinky....
    i think money is a big issue for him, so i dont think that will work.

not everyone has a money tree in their backyard bj
    JackNugz

no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

banned
    yeah its a complete, and I dont know the exact fort name, all I know is that it has 6 inches of travel.

do you think the bike can handle 5 foot to flat, and a 10 stair? ( not at the same time,lol)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    yeah its a complete, and I dont know the exact fort name, all I know is that it has 6 inches of travel.

do you think the bike can handle 5 foot to flat, and a 10 stair? ( not at the same time,lol)
    yeah I think it can handle 5 foot to flat, but that's not really good for your bike. but it could do it no problem. the 10 stair- yeah, not sure how big this ten stair is though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by matt
    yeah I think it can handle 5 foot to flat, but that's not really good for your bike. but it could do it no problem. the 10 stair- yeah, not sure how big this ten stair is though.
    this all depends on your weight and the spring on the bike too. if your 300+ i doubt it could take it. it should be fine though.

banned
    Yeah, I'm only about 115 pounds, but will it bottom out on a, maybe, 8 or 10 stair? I dont want to bottom out all the time, if I did, I would keep the bike I have.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yeah, I'm only about 115 pounds, but will it bottom out on a, maybe, 8 or 10 stair? I dont want to bottom out all the time, if I did, I would keep the bike I have.
    How big is an 8 to 10 stair? is this to flat or landing on the stairs?

banned
    the 8 stairs around my house are about 7 feet long, and maybe 5 feet high, and that is to flat, think I will bottom out on that even will with the bombers and all?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    the 8 stairs around my house are about 7 feet long, and maybe 5 feet high, and that is to flat, think I will bottom out on that even will with the bombers and all?
    I doubt that you would bottom out. it depends on the fork though. if it has soft springs maybe, it shouldn't bottom out though. i think the bike would be fine though. it's not really fun to do drops to flat though, it's better to do to tranny.

banned
    I just find what ever I can to ride, and if that happens to be a bunch of stairs, that fun too, I acually like jumping stairs, that leads to my next question, would the suspension also be plush enough to soak up the stairs nicely if I was going to ride down them?

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    i think money is a big issue for him, so i dont think that will work.

not everyone has a money tree in their backyard bj
    yeh sorry bout that...for the first ever time i didnt read the post properly...

anyways my mate EV had to save for 2 1/2 years to get his new 04 stinky...and didnt have anything to ride in the meantime...so if he can wait for a wicked bike then he should..if he cant then he should get the stinky...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

lux
    Sure-Fire 'Lectric

No, no, no...

I just find what ever I can to ride, and if that happens to be a bunch of stairs, that fun too, I acually like jumping stairs, that leads to my next question, would the suspension also be plush enough to soak up the stairs nicely if I was going to ride down them?
    there's no way that bike can do those things you asked about.

...so where was this complete Stinky for $500 listed?

banned
    Do you for sure know they cant do that? 5 foot to flat, 8 stair, etc?

lux
    Sure-Fire 'Lectric
    umm...it was a joke. Trying to get you to not buy it and tell me where it's listed at that price.

Forty-Six & 2 ahead of me
    Jul 2004
    *passes the salt shaker*

caution falling sarcasm

banned
    ahhhhh, you had me worried there, it is acually a common site for bike ads, I listed a wanted ad, and he came to me with it, so he doesn't have a ad. I just offered a lot of people money, a lot of them turned me down, but a few didnt. and this guy with the stinky is not emailing me back right now.

banned
    do you think it can go down stairs nicley, plushly?

[email protected] NYC Freerider
    IMO, save up some more money and buy a better bike...

bored
    The Kona would be a better choice than the Specialized, although 5 foot drops to flat are hard on any bike, and usually hard on the rider, too. I still think you should consider a hardtail--if you learn the trials dropping technique, 5 feet to flat shouldn't be too bad, plus hardtails make you a better, smoother rider, and they give you more for your money.

banned
    I am allready riding a full suspension, and im not talking about slowing moving up to the drop and hopping off the edge kind of drops, I am talking about the stair sets and stuff that I need to jump all the stairs, and land to flat.

So Ive been told about that the bike can handle drops like that, so my next two qusetions that I have been asking for a bit in this tread is,

Do you think that I will bottom out on the 5 foot drops? and
    Will the suspension be able to soak up the stairs riding down them?

I wanna talk to Samson!

Do you think that I will bottom out on the 5 foot drops? and
    Will the suspension be able to soak up the stairs riding down them?
    well you cant really have both. if you set it soft to aborb stairs then its not gonna be optimal for drops, and the reverse of that. i dont really thing you should worry about how plush its going to be on stairs, most bikes wont make stairs fell good untill you get going fast on them.
    JackNugz

banned
    Ok, I was just worried about not having enough travel for what I do for the money, and I alway though from the beggning I would get the Stinky, ever since I started this thead, so I will work on getting it tonight, and I'll see what happens.

banned
    Well, here is the bike I am considering now, (I hope you read my other threads, which I know most of you did, and understand how I got to this bike.

It is a Santa Cruz 2002 Super 8 witha a boxxer 2002, 8 1/4 inches in the back, 7 inches int eh front, what do you think. Should I get it for $1000 or not, the guy says it is in great shape.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Well, here is the bike I am considering now, (I hope you read my other threads, which I know most of you did, and understand how I got to this bike.

It is a Santa Cruz 2002 Super 8 witha a boxxer 2002, 8 1/4 inches in the back, 7 inches int eh front, what do you think. Should I get it for $1000 or not, the guy says it is in great shape.
    im pretty sure thats a 2001 or 2000 boxxer
    JackNugz

bored
    Super 8"s break pretty often--save your money. Also, you will want something a little lighter and more freeride-oriented if you're not going to race. Try to find a used Iron Horse.

banned
    its 43 pounds, is that ok?

banned
    nnnnnnnnnnnnn
    Last edited by oreo321321; 08-11-2004 at 12:14 PM.

banned
    damn double posts

I wanna talk to Samson!
    it weighs 43 lbs, is that light enough
    i thought you wanted 35 lbs. its not that heavy. you shouldnt need someone to tell you this kind of stuff. stop posting this type of stuff on here its getting really annoying.

www.pinkbike.com
    JackNugz

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

it seems like a cool bike so get it. oh wait, it looks like it's been ridden pretty hard, look at that big jump to flat. i don't know now.

get it

banned
    yeah I thought that was pretty funny

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    get the stinky. i got a 2002 stinky a couple months ago and it is awesome. that turd who said save up for teo and a half years and get a better bike like his friend did and not have a bike in the meantime is totally retarded. anybody that actually loves biking would go ahead and get the used but still great bike and in that two and a half years have something that they can ride around on. if you don't ride for two and a half years so you can get a fancy bike you're just a ****ing poser that wants to look cool on his expensive bike. and if you get the stinky it has the same frame, so spend your money while youget it on upgrades, and in two and a half years you'll have the primo, and be so much insanely better than the guy who sat on his butt for two and a half year.s

besides, it's not all bike, the rider has a LOT to do with how big you can go.

that's my plan.

mtbr member
    it still looks like a pretty nice bike!!! and it looks pretty beefy!! and 8 inches....thats better than 6!!!for shure!!!

mtbr member
    i was talkin bout the super 8

mtbr member
    if u didnt know

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Dude my Raleigh M50 can do those things no problem (as long as its not to asphalt or concrete) My friend doesnt exactly use his stinky for what its supposed to be used for but ive seen him do a rare 5 foot to flat, and once i saw him do a 7 stair, but hes not even strong enough to clear it so he landed on the stairs. I dont think it bottomed (its the 03 version)

650 yay area
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBlueJoker
    it still looks like a pretty nice bike!!! and it looks pretty beefy!! and 8 inches....thats better than 6!!!for shure!!!
    dood seriolsuy gett it noww!!!!!!!!