20 mm bike transport- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

20 mm bike transport

I just got an ASX and now realize I have transport issues. I've always used fork mount roof racks and I realize this might be a bit of a problem. Is it a pain to take off the front wheel and use an adaptor for my existing rack? How are those Cobra racks from Yakima, they don't seem to stable? Or should I just get a hitch rack with trays? Any suggestions, thanks in advance.

groovy lick
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SLCHAGER
    I just got an ASX and now realize I have transport issues. I've always used fork mount roof racks and I realize this might be a bit of a problem. Is it a pain to take off the front wheel and use an adaptor for my existing rack? How are those Cobra racks from Yakima, they don't seem to stable? Or should I just get a hitch rack with trays? Any suggestions, thanks in advance.
    I use a Hurricane 20mm forkup to transport my DH bike with a shiver around. You can get them direct from Hurricane or buy from a shop. I got mine from Universal Cycles or just google it.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    "Is it a pain to take off the front wheel and use an adaptor for my existing rack?"

For me it would be.

"How are those Cobra racks from Yakima, they don't seem to stable?"

I've used the Cobra and for all but THE bumpiest of trails it works awesome. So i wouldn't give it a second thought if your looking for a roof rack. Don't know what kind of vehicle you have.

"Or should I just get a hitch rack with trays?"
    If you decide to go this route I suggest you look at the Sportworks series. http://sportworks.com/stcat.asp I have the Freeride model and some of my buds have the Transports, we all love them.

Good luck.

Lone Wolf
    Jul 2003

King Cobra

Well, I have the King Cobra and I wasn't too impressed with it to beging with. I mean, it is nice that one rack can carry virtually any bike out there but with a heavier bike it can be a pain to get it loaded. I've got a GMC Jimmy and I have to lift the bike up and try to get the front wheel in the tray right, then roll it forward and then lift the rear up. when the bike is loaded, I can barely touch the bottom bracket, its that tall. The other thing is its not too stable. I don't think it will fall out but it really wobbles on bumps and pulling into lots and stuff. I've had people tell me they thought my bike was going to fall off.
    I've seen the hurricane's and they are nice. I'll probably get one for my long distance trips cuz it is kind of a pain to take the wheel off.

poser Administrator

re: 20mm racks

Quote Originally Posted by SLCHAGER
    I have a Ford Focus SVT so we are limited to racks that are on the roof or the hitch. I use a fork mount hitch rack that uses roof rack mounts. I use the hurricane dealy and it is a pain in the tuckus to do and undo but it seems to be the easiest method to transport the a hefty bike without all the liftin' and gymnastics that one has to do to get 'em on the roof and in one of those hold any bike type things. My suggestion is to get a second axle, leave it in the rack and get one of those drill chuck key holders, push in an 8mm allen wrench and tie it to the hatch or hitch or rack or whatever so that you always have the wrench available. It will still be a pain in the ass but at least you can travel with your bike, just try not o finish a ride and need to be somewhere immediately, it takes awhile to get the bike in and locked down.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member

The Cobra is good...

I have been using the Yakima Viper for almost a year on my Golf. Both of my bikes have 20mm axles so I was using the Fork-Up with it. I got tired of taking the wheel off and bought a King Cobra this weekend to try it out. Other than it's bulk I like it a lot so far, much easier to use. Another benefit is not having to carry the front wheels inside the car. Also, it holds the bike really well, you can "wiggle" the bike a little in the rack but I think it's mainly the softness of the tires. I'll be getting a second King Cobra soon, the Viper's are going up for sale on ebay.
    "Without the ability to make moral distinctions based on motive, consequences, the ethical constructs of various parties, everything is equal, and you end up with people like Woody Allen: a tiny speck of compacted narcissism, revolving around the dead sun in an empty universe." - James Lileks

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thule

Thule has a upright rack called the super g or something of that nature. I have never used it but I've seen people do shuttle runs with them on fireroads with no bike wobble.

mtbr member

i had the exact same problem!

when i got my asx, i forgot it wouldn't fit on my fork bolt type rack, had to take the thing apart and put it in my boot just to get it home!!

i ended up geting a thule rack, it clamps the frame and is lockable. you leave both the wheels on. the rack i got (in australia is the proride http://www.thule.com/frames.asp?id=1884 ). the clamp contacts the frame where the reinforcing for the shock mount is. it works a treat.

happy trails with you asx, you'll love it.

munga

Yup

The best one of them all...

I got the Sportworks Bob Ratchet for my roof rack. It is the same as the trailer mounted one except for your roof. I got it from www.rackoutfitters.com for $100 but it looks like the price has gone up $9. I heard so many horror stories about the King Cobra, the Thule upright racks looked like junk, and I damn sure wasn't gonna mess around with that Hurricane adapter crap everytime I wanted to ride my bike. I have blasted down the freeway and through mountain curves at 100 mph+ with my tank SGS DH bike up there with no worries. Word to the rise don't buy the rack if your too weak to lift your bike up.

mtbr member

So what have you heard...

In the way of horror stories about the Cobra/King Cobra racks?
    "Without the ability to make moral distinctions based on motive, consequences, the ethical constructs of various parties, everything is equal, and you end up with people like Woody Allen: a tiny speck of compacted narcissism, revolving around the dead sun in an empty universe." - James Lileks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Yakima

The older lock jaw or the ankle biter. Use the ankle biter for odd shaped down tubes, but I can carry move things with my lock jaw. Even the odd shaped like the Jokers triangle down tube. Very little movement on both and they both lock and you don't have to remove the front wheel. The lock Jaw is easier to work with, the ankle biter can be a ***** to get a bike into if it is high like on the top of a canapy or suv.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BSN_mt
    The older lock jaw or the ankle biter. Use the ankle biter for odd shaped down tubes, but I can carry move things with my lock jaw. Even the odd shaped like the Jokers triangle down tube. Very little movement on both and they both lock and you don't have to remove the front wheel. The lock Jaw is easier to work with, the ankle biter can be a ***** to get a bike into if it is high like on the top of a canapy or suv.

thanks for the imput guys, I went with a sportworks rooftop rack. So far I like it, seems to be more stable than the Cobra, cheaper too.