2 friends looking for first DH/FR bikes- Mtbr.com
    New to Freeriding
    May 2007

2 friends looking for first DH/FR bikes

hello, my friend and I are looking to get into DH/FR. we want something that will able to handle the abuse for above average riders. We have never done this before, but we both did BMX for years (woodward, dirt, ramps, street) anyway, we are looking for bikes that are under $1,500 (preferably new, but looking for previous year models to keep higher end bike costs low).

I am 5'6.5 @ 180lbs (tried a small today and it felt good 16")
    friend is 5'10 @ 160 (said medium felt better 17")

we tried our 600 dollar K2 bikes at sports authority just for sizing... they were full suspension so im basing sizing off of that.do you think our sizing is right for what were looking to do? (small drops, logs, rocks, etc)

anyway, we were looking at RS cycle at the 2006 Iron Horse Sohon Bucho for a first starter bike. I liked the cannondale gemini but it is expensive and i cant find any older models or find it used. We saw that the 06 iron horse was orginally $1,600 but now that its on sale for $899 we figured it was above our budget, but now its worth it. please let us know asap as we are looking hit up the trails immediatly! also, any sites that have previous year models please let me know. thanks for the help see you guys on the trails soon! any other bikes/companies worth looking at?

40 oz to freedom
    RS cycles has the Iron Horse 7.3 for really cheap, you might want to look at that
    Looking for a used DH/FR bike, have 1500 PM me with anything you've got

Bike Ninja |||
    look into the IH kumicho type R. they are going for sub 1300 now (i think they might even be a grand...) and are part spec'd up the wazoo. awesome value right na!
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny A
    RS cycles has the Iron Horse 7.3 for really cheap, you might want to look at that
    Such a good bike for a beginner. I own it and it is indeed my first DH/FR. I am about the size of ur second friend and I am on the 15. It feels sick I have total control over the bike. It eats up everything. Super fast. I love it.

New to Freeriding
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    look into the IH kumicho type R. they are going for sub 1300 now (i think they might even be a grand...) and are part spec'd up the wazoo. awesome value right na!
    where can i find this bike? also, do you guys think a 16" would be good for my 5'6.5" height? or should i look for a 15?

from looking around i cant find one thats under $2700. please show me a link. thanks

New to Freeriding
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny A

$2200 is above our budget!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailside
    $2200 is above our budget!
    The '06 is $1100... :-P 15" only I think.

es

New to Freeriding
    May 2007
    http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....&category=6167

that one? please post me a link. i dont see where it says "type R" anywhere.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nevermind... it looks like RS finally ran out of 7.3's today.

If you can pony up $1600 the 7.5 is damn nice too.

Otherwise that Kumicho is a nice looking bike, although an 8" single pivot might be a bit overkill for your purposes being new and such.

es

New to Freeriding
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertr

If you can pony up $1600 the 7.5 is damn nice too.

Otherwise that Kumicho is a nice looking bike, although an 8" single pivot might be a bit overkill for your purposes being new and such.

es
    im angry, i wanted a 7 point 3. oh well, i bought the Kumicho

40 oz to freedom
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertr

es
    God damn, I was saving up for a 7point too
    Looking for a used DH/FR bike, have 1500 PM me with anything you've got

dcubed
    im angry, i wanted a 7 point 3. oh well, i bought the Kumicho
    Congrats! My Kumicho comes in today!. Like you, I am new to the "Dark Side" (crossing over from XC aka, fire road climbing hell)

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by desmo13
    Congrats! My Kumicho comes in today!. Like you, I am new to the "Dark Side" (crossing over from XC aka, fire road climbing hell)
    I never considered it the darkside (I recently have added FR to my bike collection) I consider it more efficient use of the engergy to fun ratio. The lift takes allows energy savings to so you can have more fun on the way down! That is, unless you have to hike your bike up somewhere without a lift. But XC can still be fun too, at least until Keystone opens here in CO.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

dcubed
    I consider it the fun side, I just get a lot of crap from XC riding buddies. To quote one of them last night after fireroad climbing hell, after another rider mentioned it would be cool do not have to climb so much to have fun going down, another said "no way, mountainbiking has to hurt."

I just do not get that. I think mountainbiking has to be fun!.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Congrats on the new rig! Welcome to the IH family!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by desmo13
    I consider it the fun side, I just get a lot of crap from XC riding buddies. To quote one of them last night after fireroad climbing hell, after another rider mentioned it would be cool do not have to climb so much to have fun going down, another said "no way, mountainbiking has to hurt."

I just do not get that. I think mountainbiking has to be fun!.
    They aren't mountain bikers. They are roadies on the wrong kind of bike... :-P

(Nothing wrong with roadies... I am one though too) :-P

es

New to Freeriding
    May 2007
    Icant wait to get it!

N* Bomber Crew
    Here's my list:

DH:
    Iron Horse Yazuka
    Specialized Big Hit

Freeride:
    Kona Stinky
    Iron Horse 7.3
    That Ibex Bike....
    Giant Faith

Those are pretty affodable. I kept my selections affordable because you shouldn't be spending an arm or a leg for your first DH/FR bike, there are too many different designs out there. Once they progress more and find their riding style they can expirement with different suspension designs and choose one that they like the best. One of my friends rides a hard tail and jumped on a Dual Suspension one day and couldn't tell the difference at all between a Giant Faith or Kona Stinky, when both designs are completley different.

I mean to be honest, I still don't know which suspension design I like best other than Single Pivot...
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude

[B] shouldn't be spending an arm or a leg for your first DH/FR bike[/B:
    this is the reson I say buy used
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    this is the reson I say buy used
    Also True, buying used will save a lot. But as a friend you need to step up and tell them when a deal is a deal, not a bust.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Ricky DH
    SMT is right. For your first DH bike go "lightly used". Once you've had that bike a couple of years you can up grade to a better bike that is more your liking.

My first was a used Super 8, even my M1 frame was lightly used too, but all new components.

dcubed
    I tried to go the used route, but couldn't find anything to beat a 1100 buck new Kumicho.

If I had more money to spend, sure, I would probably go for a used VP-free instead of a New one, etc.. But I think RScycles destroys the entry level used market.

East Coast Style
    my friends selling his morewood if you're itnerested. very sweet build, feels great
    Intense Socom
    Transition Double

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Bike Ninja |||
    where can i find this bike? also, do you guys think a 16" would be good for my 5'6.5" height? or should i look for a 15?

from looking around i cant find one thats under $2700. please show me a link. thanks

ya it's just the regular kumicho.. not the type R...

here is the link: here
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

Gravity is cool.
    The only significant difference between the Type R and the straight Kumicho is that the Type R has the Boxxer Race vs the Super T. My wife has the Type R, and as intermediate riders, neither one of us can tell the difference.

mucho aggro
    i'll have a '04 stinky for sale soon...

New to Freeriding
    May 2007
    i guess i got excited when i saw the 50% off on the 16" kamicho.

I was looking to buy used, but finding a 15" or 16" was rare i hear and im scared of abuse that some people do to these bikes. anyway, the stinky is one of my favorite looking bikes along with the transition dirtbag.

Members who have read this thread: 0