1998 99 intense m1 help- Mtbr.com
    ROB-0
    May 2010

1998 99 intense m1 help

i have a 1998? m1 (four shock mounts on the front triangle itself)and i need to know what kind of stroke or shock to put on it it has a vanilia rc with a 850 pound spring and the spring says 2.23 for stroke its 71/2 inch from middle of eye to eye how on earth would this be the shock for it there is no way its 8 inch travel please help!!!i weigh 235 and im 5'11
    live to ride ride to live!!!!

mtbr member
    your rear shock is not like your front fork, in that you can see it go through a specific amount of travel that you can measure with a ruler or tape measure. your bike has linkages that allow the rear wheel to follow a certain path and the rear shock provides the resistance against that path. it is not the eye to eye measurement on your shock, or the stroke, that tells you how much suspension your frame has, but would be the movement of the rear wheel along its line as it travels through the path the linkages allow.

ROB-0
    May 2010
    ok so it is the correct shock or should i get ...say a fox dhx 8.5x2.5,or a 2009 Roco RC WC 8.75X2.75 or a DHX 5.0 Coil w/500lb spring
    Stroke: 3.0 Eye to Eye Length: 9.5 Spring: 500 x 3.25
    cause it aint plush its bouncy and it drives me nuts

mtbr member
    somebody correct me if i am wrong...but i would stick to the same eye to eye length, otherwise the shock might not actually fit into the frame. not sure about the stroke but i would imagine that the stroke length would be very similar to the shock coming off the frame..but i would imagine that the 7.5x2.0 dhx or something similar would work just fine but hopefully somebody else can pipe in and confirm

ROB-0
    May 2010
    well compare to my buddys m1 my shock is like an .75 shorter and much less stroke

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Email or phone Intense and ask them. They can tell you what you need to know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Post in the Intense forum, someone there will know for definite. Older M1's were 8.25 * 2.25 newer ones 8.75 * 2.75. I suspect your's is an M1SL which would be the 8.25??

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Members who have read this thread: 0