180's!!!- Mtbr.com

Thread: 180's!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

180's!!

ah, i cant hit a flatland 180.....i can get past a 90, probabaly to 110, but i cant get it all the way around...can someone help?
    Last edited by The Green bike!; 04-26-2005 at 03:16 PM.

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green bike!
    ah, i cant hit a flatland 180.....i can get past a 90, probabaly to 110, but i cant get it all the way around...can someone help?
    Try it on a steep hill (going up, then 180 down) Its alot easier. I can't get all they way around on flat either, but its super easy on a slant.

Keep practicing.
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    that has been my favorite trick for teh last few weeks. i like to get a bunch of speed on teh street and pop a fat 180 and cruise backwards for a while and then pop back straight again. i think teh key is upper body strength and quickness. alot of my freinds try them w/ me and can't do them. they have teh skills, but it doesn't seem like they got the strength to pull it around. just keep tryin over and over again. it will come to you.
    Is the secret to get it around super quick? Or to bunny hop high and do it? Is speed more helpful? (I suck at them too )
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Now riding Fox Shox!
    Jan 2005
    Remember to look the direction you are turning.

I start to steer right and launch my back wheel.

Its really easy on those little 12" bikes

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    that has been my favorite trick for teh last few weeks. i like to get a bunch of speed on teh street and pop a fat 180 and cruise backwards for a while and then pop back straight again. i think teh key is upper body strength and quickness. alot of my freinds try them w/ me and can't do them. they have teh skills, but it doesn't seem like they got the strength to pull it around. just keep tryin over and over again. it will come to you.
    you dont have to be strong, Tsage is the skinniest SOB alive and he is the 180 master.

i should be working
    use a curb cut-out to pop off and its important to turn your upper body and look the direction you are spinning. its going to take some serious time before you get them dialed because once you can actually get the rotation down its a whole re-learning how to ride backwards.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    yea... start to turn the front wheel slightly right when you're taking off. turn your upper body and whip your back wheel around.

i don't think height matters THAT much, i can pull 180s off of only about a 6 inch bunny hop or so.

of course little bikes make it a lot easier. i learned them on a bmx bike and then carried it over to a mountain bike. this was when i was working on 360s last year, but close enough.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    ahh its so frustrating..ive been doing them on my driveway (its an uphil) and i can ALMOST get it around, but i lean into it dso much, i thinkim only getting a 90 or so..liek, i turn into it too much before actul get off the ground..its frustrating...oh well...

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005
    what i do is i turn into a bunny hop. then, while im in the air, i pull the bike around WHILE KICKING/NUDGING THE FRAME WITH MY LEG. it works

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green bike!
    ahh its so frustrating..ive been doing them on my driveway (its an uphil) and i can ALMOST get it around, but i lean into it dso much, i thinkim only getting a 90 or so..liek, i turn into it too much before actul get off the ground..its frustrating...oh well...
    It really helps on a very slanted hill, more slanted than any driveway should be.

I just went out and tried it, took me about 10 tries, and now I can do em every time on flat ground.
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

livin' a lie--TIMMY!!!
    as said before...height is not the issue...I can 180 on flat without even rolling the DH bike. The trick I found is to really kick that bike around...twist your body at the waist the direction you want to go then force your legs and lower waist to pull the whole bike around.

now if someone can tell me how to do a 360, I'd sure like to know...270 is as far as I get then I run out of momentum.

dirt rules
    Quote Originally Posted by gigamanx
    now if someone can tell me how to do a 360, I'd sure like to know...270 is as far as I get then I run out of momentum.
    It's very difficult to pull a 360 on flat. If you can get beyond 180 and keep the front end up, you should be able to pivot the rest pretty easily. keep pressure on your forward pedal after you hit, and you should just spin right around.