170mm or 175mm cranks.- Mtbr.com
    check your six

170mm or 175mm cranks.

Doing a little freeride session last week, came down with pedals not level and smashed my left pedal on a rock. I noticed a little uneven pedaling afterward, felt kind of awkward. Thoguht I bent the pedal. I got home and swapped out the pedals from my hardtail and the fully still feels wierd pedaling. So I am guessing the ISIS crank arm is bent. Or could it be the BB?

Anyway, I found a nice Hussefelt crankset, which will be nice. But the question is which do your perfer, 170mm or 175mm cranks? and what difference will it make beteween the two?

Thanks in advance for your input.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Depends on your inseam.... if you plan on pedaling much. I have a 31" inseam and use 175mm cranks for my trailbikes. For my DH bike (SX trail), I run 170mm. I notice a big difference when pedaling, but then again it's 5-10 pounds heavier than my other bikes.

Glad to Be Alive
    if you are banging pedals, then it is better to get 170
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Meh.
    The 5mm of additional clearance makes a pretty significant difference. You don't notice the decrease in leverage as much.

mtbr remember
    I have both on several different bikes... don't notice much difference honestly... there are other differences between each bike to notice long before 10mm of stance.

170mm seems to be pretty standard for DH/FR/Shuttle bikes, but 175 is a better idea for more pedaling added in. I also have 175 on my street/dj bike though, but it's pretty much the standard in bmx as well.

look for some 172.5's if you're torn, haha... they do exist!
    Last edited by BikeSATORI; 03-21-2007 at 05:22 PM.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Also, running a higher profile tire helps the clearance a bit.

check your six

Thanks

I am only 5-10 and weigh about 160 soaking wet. Not sure that maters any right now, but anyway. I do bang my pedals alot, but I also have the Forte Shovel platforms, they are huge and heavy. I need to change them, but the cranks are bent, first things first.

Well I do a lot of pedaling, but I think I will take using a little more effort on the uphill, then anymore smashing on rocks. I know the cranks are not the cause for the rock smashing. I am pretty sure it has something to do with some rider error, but the shorter cranks will help. Thanks again for all the insight guys.

Disco-Superfly
    I prefer 175 because of the leverage difference.... Its not much but anything helps.... (I never hit the ground anyways...)
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Disco-Superfly
    I just calculated the leverage difference...

from a 170mm crank to 175mm crank there is 3% of leverage difference

Putting 180lbs onto the pedal of a 170mm crank is equal to putting 175lbs on a 175mm crank...

5 pounds difference to the pedal (with 180lbs put on the pedal which is my body weight)... noticable? you decide....
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak06
    I am only 5-10 and weigh about 160 soaking wet. Not sure that maters any right now, but anyway. I do bang my pedals alot, but I also have the Forte Shovel platforms, they are huge and heavy. I need to change them, but the cranks are bent, first things first.

Well I do a lot of pedaling, but I think I will take using a little more effort on the uphill, then anymore smashing on rocks. I know the cranks are not the cause for the rock smashing. I am pretty sure it has something to do with some rider error, but the shorter cranks will help. Thanks again for all the insight guys.

if you are bashing crank ends regularly, pick up some chromoly bmx/profile style cranks! the sweet new Demolition Medials come in 170! as well as Deity.
    Schralp it Heavy.

dh-er
    Nov 2006
    just picked up a set of 165mm holzfeller OCT's for a deal i couldnt pass up, will see how i like em. (im 6'5" and theyll be going o na v-10)

SMT Supporter
    GET a set of 165 and start pedalling out of turns like Sam Hill!!!! I did tha same thing to my hussefelt isis (175) bent them and re aligned them on a 15ton hydraulic press...after some riding the steel insert came out along with the pedal.......

I Still haven't decided wich ISIS crank to get cuz i'm not trusting truvativ anymore......

Props to the azonic A frame that did not bend at all
    "If you have a 50 dollar head, buy a 50 dollar helmet"

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongiafer
    GET a set of 165 and start pedalling out of turns like Sam Hill!!!! I did tha same thing to my hussefelt isis (175) bent them and re aligned them on a 15ton hydraulic press...after some riding the steel insert came out along with the pedal.......

I Still haven't decided wich ISIS crank to get cuz i'm not trusting truvativ anymore......

Props to the azonic A frame that did not bend at all

just drop the ISIS altogether... TruVativ has solid stuff, but shift happens...
    Schralp it Heavy.

Glad to Be Alive
    get some Saints...very solid
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottJensen
    just picked up a set of 165mm holzfeller OCT's for a deal i couldnt pass up, will see how i like em. (im 6'5" and theyll be going o na v-10)
    are you sure about that? OCT's i didn't think were made in 165's...

SMT Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    just drop the ISIS altogether... TruVativ has solid stuff, but shift happens...
    Well the problem is that Saints are not aviable in the 83mm shell version (150x12 rear end bikes) arround here yet... And my FSA isis bb is still like new so......Probably I'm getting hussfelts Dh again for 100usd but in 170mm.........Because Holzfellers in ISIS are sold out (135usd) and hollzfelers with the right 83mm Howitzer bb are like 300usd arround this side of the world..... and I need to save some money to change my oldschool boxxer for a 2007 Team....or 888s....cuz I'm racing a bit more competitive this year and gettin alot of spiking and no high speed rebound as needed.
    "If you have a 50 dollar head, buy a 50 dollar helmet"

dh-er
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    are you sure about that? OCT's i didn't think were made in 165's...

after lookin on there site, looks like your right. got em direct from truvativ in SLO though, was told they were 165's, but obviously 170's. no complaints here. they were blems. :smokin:

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottJensen
    after lookin on there site, looks like your right. got em direct from truvativ in SLO though, was told they were 165's, but obviously 170's. no complaints here. they were blems. :smokin:
    it should say right on the back of the crank arms by the pedal insert... as far as I know anyway...

give a person a 50lb 4" travel bike, but only tell'em its 38lb and 8" of travel and they'd probably ride it harder and faster... some things are just in your head when it comes down to it.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Members who have read this thread: 0