15.5" and 16.25" chainstay. Is it a big difference?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. 15.5" and 16.25" chainstay. Is it a big difference?

Hi there,
    I'm curious coz now I have the money for a new rear brake and my Imperial doesn't accept a 8" brake at 15.5 inch mode. I like technical and trialish street riding. So if it is a big diff., maybe I will go with a 6" Avid Mech., if it is not, I will buy a Hayes HFX Mag 8".

Thanks,

Happy holidays yo bastards

Coldfire
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LIVE FREE
    BE BRAVE
    RIDE HARD

100% Cheesy Goodness
    I think that theres a pretty big difference in the feel and handling of the bike between those 2 measurements. at 15.5 you can manual super easy and the bike will handle and feel pretty quick, on the down side the bike would handle rather poorly at speed and would kinda suck for trail riding. In 16.25 the bike will handle better at speed and will still manual ok. For street I like to set mine up right around 16". If i am gonna trail ride, I will get the rear wheel as far back as I possibly can. If all you are doing is street, a 6" rotor should suffice. If you want more power, get a 6" hayes hydro rear over the avid mech. To me it seems like the hydro have more "top end" holding power than the avids. If you are doing trials and that sort of thing, I would also consider a different frame (but to each their own).
    Blaaah blaaah blaaah

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004

to put it this way...

i had an azonic ds1 with 16.75 in stays and for the life of me i couldnt bunnyhop manual this three stair platform thing downdown, anyways i got a planet x and did it like twice out of like 10 attempts. (i suck at manualing) i noticed a huge difference in trials like getting up on picnic tables and what not as well.
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

mtbr member

Idea! Thanks!

Thank you guys, it was a great help.
    For evil owners: is it a torture to switch between the chainstay positions?

Coldfire
    LIVE FREE
    BE BRAVE
    RIDE HARD

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire

Coldfire

I have not built mine up yet but I bet it's not that bad. Just a matter of moving the wheel and shimming your brakes if need be.

/dev/null

Coldfire
    Nah, it's not torture. However, it's not something you're going to want to do every time you go for a ride. You have to unbolt the derailleur hangar, bolt it back to the right spot, re-mount your brakes, and adjust your chain if necessary.

My guess is that you'll find a spot that you like it in, and leave it there, only moving it if you're going to, say, go DH'ing for the weekend or something. Just a guess, though.

I would go with the 6" rotor just to have the option available, though. I wish I had done that with mine, and will be picking up a 6" rotor and adapter soon.

mtbr member
    Well, I will change the position just twice in a year. (from May to Oktober=16.25", in winter=15.5")

A brake question: Which brake would you choose: Shimano Saint 6", or Hayes HFX 6"? By the way: the only difference between hayes hfx 9 HD and XC is the rotor size isn't it?

Thanks,
    Coldfire
    LIVE FREE
    BE BRAVE
    RIDE HARD

/dev/null
    Well, I will change the position just twice in a year. (from May to Oktober=16.25", in winter=15.5")

A brake question: Which brake would you choose: Shimano Saint 6", or Hayes HFX 6"? By the way: the only difference between hayes hfx 9 HD and XC is the rotor size isn't it?

Thanks,
    Coldfire
    I have no experience with the Saint brakes. I think their centerlock rotors are a pretty cool concept, but that's the extent of my knowledge - the few people who I've read reports from, though, have reported favorably!

Hayes just plain work, all the time. Good brakes. Get the Mags though, not the HFX-9s - the HFX-9s get very mixed reviews.

Authority is dead!
    you don't want HFX, trust me on that.
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by binary visions
    Nah, it's not torture. However, it's not something you're going to want to do every time you go for a ride. You have to unbolt the derailleur hangar, bolt it back to the right spot, re-mount your brakes, and adjust your chain if necessary.
    i'm not 100% sure, but i think they are changing the dropouts to something similar to the Sovereign, which eliminates one slot down to two and the dropouts can slide to make up the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

mtbr member
    Offtopic, but I can use a simple rotor (i.e. XT rotor) with saint brakes, can't I? I like the idea of the centerlock rotors, but the Saint hub is very expensive.

Bad news: my Maxxis holyroller does not fit in 15.5" mode... I have to buy something smaller. I'm thinking about Kenda K-rads, but they are not available here... damn. Arrow Launch is the same.

Coldfire
    LIVE FREE
    BE BRAVE
    RIDE HARD

/dev/null
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    i'm not 100% sure, but i think they are changing the dropouts to something similar to the Sovereign, which eliminates one slot down to two and the dropouts can slide to make up the difference.
    I know that's what comes on the Imperial SL, but I thought the regular Imperial frames were still shipping with the XXX dropouts?

The Evil Bikes website still lists the XXX dropouts after their big update to all the frames.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Offtopic, but I can use a simple rotor (i.e. XT rotor) with saint brakes, can't I?
    Coldfire
    Yes you can.

mtbr member
    The Imprial still has the XXX system, the Sovereign has XX system, the DOC has the sliding vertical dropout system. I don't know anything about the SL.

Coldfire
    LIVE FREE
    BE BRAVE
    RIDE HARD

Members who have read this thread: 0