mtbr member
    Apr 2017

11 speed on 2015 Santa Cruz V10?

Thinking about buying a 2015 SC V10 with 27.5 wheels for about $3K. Was curious if it is possible to put an 11 speed rear cassette if I buy new shifter and derailleur? Does it fit? Has anyone ever done this?

Why? Because I love my 2012 Nomad C and the 11 speed high range is great.

The V10 only has a small 10 speed that I know i can upgrade to 11-42 but If i'm gonna upgrade I want to go all the way to 11-50 with the one-up cog. I would really like to be able to climb with this bike also even though they were not really meant to climb well.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Glad to Be Alive
    only problem...the longer cage derailleur will bang more things
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Eh...I figured this may be a problem. But one I could live with. I'd like some more versatility with this bike.

Glad to Be Alive
    put a 28 in front...run the 11-42 ...you will spin out on DH descends but it will give you a little more up
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    The question is not whether you can but whether you should ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Well, I'd like some more versatility with the V10, specifically climbing ability. I understand the best approach is to buy a different bike but I like the Plush travel and super smooth suspension of the V10, I just want more gears to use so I can climb. I dont mind that the bike is heavier, it just gives me a better workout.

Update: Ended up buying a 2012 V10 for $1500.00, deal was too good to pass up. Fox 40 looks good along with the rear shock. Though the fox 40 top 2 adjustments are a bit sticky, prob just need a tune up I assume. Came with a 9 speed, I think I'll add the 10 speed 11-42 with a new long cage. Going 11 speed I think I will have to get new hubs and that may be too much trouble since I got second wheelset for free with the bike. Planning on putting skinny ass road tires on the second wheelset for use as road tires for urban exploration.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantastic79 View Post
    I dont mind that the bike is heavier, it just gives me a better workout.
    It's not just the weight that makes DH bikes bad at climbing, it's also the geometry.

Going 11 speed I think I will have to get new hubs and that may be too much trouble since I got second wheelset for free with the bike.
    Shimano 11 speed cassettes fit on a standard freehub body.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantastic79 View Post
    Well, I'd like some more versatility with the V10, specifically climbing ability. I understand the best approach is to buy a different bike but I like the Plush travel and super smooth suspension of the V10, I just want more gears to use so I can climb. I dont mind that the bike is heavier, it just gives me a better workout.

Update: Ended up buying a 2012 V10 for $1500.00, deal was too good to pass up. Fox 40 looks good along with the rear shock. Though the fox 40 top 2 adjustments are a bit sticky, prob just need a tune up I assume. Came with a 9 speed, I think I'll add the 10 speed 11-42 with a new long cage. Going 11 speed I think I will have to get new hubs and that may be too much trouble since I got second wheelset for free with the bike. Planning on putting skinny ass road tires on the second wheelset for use as road tires for urban exploration.

Definitely post up some pictures of the v10 on road tires, i have to see this.