1.5 Headset Removal- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

1.5 Headset Removal

Anyone have a nice trick for knocking out a 1.5 headset? I've got the park 1.125 headset removal tool, which obviously wont do, and I've always removed the 1.5's by carefully using a large flathead screwdriver against the top/bottom of the cup flanges. Seeing as this one is a Chris King, I'd like to remove it without much cosmetic damage... Does anyone have a tip or trick they like?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Park now makes one for 1"-1.5" - it works great! I tried prying out a 1.125" remover (to make it wider) and broke one of the flanges.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Park makes one tool for a 1-1.5" It's about damn time. Aside from buying the park tool, any luck with other methods?

mtbr member
    I've used a Park 1.125" version with the prongs bent outward for years without issue.

toby

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a King 1.5-1.125 evolution. At my local shop we used a broken aluminum kickstand that we cut to make a clean square edge and beat it out of there all "BMX style" (big hammer). Only minor scratches in the the ano and noone can tell once you put it in the next frame. I originally tried the Park tool but the flared headtube wouldn't let me get a good enough purchase. I think it scratched it more than the kickstand/hammer method.

Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Park tool or an aluminum drift should do the trick.

Capricious youth...
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    Park now makes one for 1"-1.5" - it works great! I tried prying out a 1.125" remover (to make it wider) and broke one of the flanges.
    I cracked one of the flanges on the 1.125" remover at the shop I used to work out.

No one caught on.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Copper (or some other softer pipe) also works. Slice it just like the park tool, bend out the flanges, and you have a homemade tool for 8 bucks. Took about 15 minutes to make it.
    Binary Transition Bikes Demon Dirt

mtbr member
    find a beater seatpost - large as possible: alloy
    yep - Park Tools does make one, all they really did was widen the flange spread.

& yeah, sometimes you have to use a large screw driver because the frame headtube is butted

&

a home made crown race slammer for 1.5 can be made with PVC tubing
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

check your six
    I have both Park headset removers, 1 1/8 & 1.5. There really is a difference between the two. I am sure I would not have been able to remove my Sunline V-One reducer headset without the 1.5 tool. We have used many other methods, but honestly for $25 you can buy one of these tools from Price Point or Jensen. Well worth the investment.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    I use an old flat handlebar, made the flanges with a dremel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak06
    but honestly for $25 you can buy one of these tools from Price Point or Jensen. Well worth the investment.
    l'll pretend l didn't see that
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

check your six
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedal Shop
    l'll pretend l didn't see that
    I chuckled when I typed it., I knew you would like it.... lol..
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

KoNa KiD
    Apr 2007
    i used the lifting arm to a floor jack and a hammer.....it was tight, lots of noise and me laughin my ass off
    Pedalshop
    Transition Bike Co.

dont touch the dirt

check your six
    Quote Originally Posted by lax30
    i used the lifting arm to a floor jack and a hammer.....it was tight, lots of noise and me laughin my ass off

LAX30- You failed to mention that you removed a Sunline V-One reducer headset with the arm to a floor jack.... I still can't believe that worked.... It shouldn't have....lol..

Members who have read this thread: 0