09 Demo - DHX or ROCO WC?- Mtbr.com
    Still on Training Wheels!

09 Demo - DHX or ROCO WC?

X-post from Specialized forum

Lookin to get a New 09 demo here in the next few weeks and was wondering what some of you opinions were on shocks for this frame. I currently have a 05 Iron Horse 7.5 with a fairly new(4 DH days) ROCO WC that measures the same as the stock DHX4 on the Demo I will be getting. I am planing on selling the 7 point in order to get the Demo, but I will have the option of swapping out the shock before I sell it off. Any opinions out there as to which shock might suit me better. FWIW I will be riding mostly DH, but I do love to hit jumps drops and step-downs when they present themselves. Most all my riding is in Colorado which is usually dry, loose and rocky.

Thanks for the imput.
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

mtbr member
    I say go for the DHX. Specialized rear ends work best with some stable platform built into the rear shock. The Rocco is pretty much platform-less.

mtbr member
    Rock Shox Vivid 5.1

mtbr member
    Why DHX?
    I've tried demo 8 with revox. Feels good.
    Haven't tried roco so I can not say.
    Ride fast, yet ride smart!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Personally, I'm not a fan of the Roco WC. I ran one for most of this season and gave up trying to make it work on my Jedi. Mine had no usable rebound adjustment. 13 clicks of nothing, then within one click...full slow rebound.

You milage may vary with the Roco, but the Fox might work better due to the platform, the fact it's a new...and can be sent to Push if you desire.

You could also sell the IH with the Roco, take off, and sell your new DHX, then buy an Elka Stage 5. Someone has a rather lengthy, positive review of the Elka on a Demo 8 somewhere on here (or PB or Ridemonkey...I can't remember where I saw it)

Best of luck.

mtbr member
    I'm running a dhx on my Demo. if I changed to anything new it'd be Elka for sure.

Still on Training Wheels!
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker
    Personally, I'm not a fan of the Roco WC. I ran one for most of this season and gave up trying to make it work on my Jedi. Mine had no usable rebound adjustment. 13 clicks of nothing, then within one click...full slow rebound.
    I have had a similar experiance with the ROCO on my 7point, but I just chalked it up to the fact that the 7poin requires little to no compression dampening. My rebound works fine with a wide range of tuning, but my compression is the complete opposite. Full open or full closed made no noticable difference on back to back runs at Sol Vista or Keystone.

I figured because the Demo does Require a bit of compression dampening that the Roco might work better on there then it did on my 7point, but still be completly active rather than having to overcome a little Pro Pedal.
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

pdh
    mtbr member
    dhx and then get it "pushed"
    I JUST WANT A BICYCLE!!!!! " Why-why are you yelling at me?"
    WHATEVER, MAKE ME A BICYCLE CLOWN!!!!!!!!!

RIDE4FUN
    if you have the option to get the DHX pushed do it. Other wise i love my roco wc on my demo. The fact that there is no pedal platform is what i actually like. With the linkage set up the way they are the pedal bob isn't that bad and you have great sensitivity. The compression and rebound adjust has worked flawlessly for me.

Glad to Be Alive
    I felt my DHX5.0 was stiff in mid stroke and harsh on hits....The Roco feels way softer on hits....I could feel my rear tire hugging the ground more and just plain smoother
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Members who have read this thread: 0