'08 Ride: Transition Blindside- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

'08 Ride: Transition Blindside

Although it was sad to see the Yeti as-x go, I gotta say transition seemed to nail the geo on the blindside. This thing rails, plan and simple. This will be my first race season after years and years of freeride; needless to say I am stoked.

If you've got any suggests on build or set up, I'd be glad to hear it. Its in at 38.5 lbs right now, should see 37 and change with bars, stem and cranks toward the end of the season. Chain guide and CB mallets coming soon. Thanks for looking!

clyde in training
    keeping the spirit of the yeti alive with that saddle. sweet ride

mtbr member
    build looks good to me.. i'd just add a chain guide .. and then have some light weight bars etc to use for when you race.

Brackish
    Looks nice! Like the sticker pattern, well done.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    you should try to buy a dual crown fork in front, if you are racing fully DH... this isnt a freeride bike and not comparable to the yeti ASX, which is to me more a Freeride/northshore bike, the Blindside is a realy good DH race bike, you should think about a Fox 40 or a Boxxer TEAM/WC instead of changing bars/stem... sell your totem and get a DC

Is flexy
    Congrats and nice work. The build looks killer except the lack of a chainguide and that damn saddle. Haha. What are the full specs?
    Good People... www.efingersports.com

mtbr member
    OOO i like... Im going raw and red on my 7 point

isnt 37 light as is? Any way, I cant think of anything else... I think you have the perfect bike.
    '08 Turner DHR :)

mtbr member
    Awesome rig! I agree with the DC fork comment, if you're racing you'll want the stiffest front end possible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Wizard - You are right, and it's something i've been struggling with. However, the A-C of the totem is almost identical to that of the boxxer, and i really enjoy the feel of the solo air. For the time being, this bike is still my freeride machine. As race season progresses I'll more than likely end up with a boxxer team or a 40 if i feel like the totem is holding me back, but for now I like the versatility of the SC. In addition, the 1.5 totem is noticeably stiffer than than the 32 mm boxxers i've ridden in the past.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    im not too sure about how stiff the totem can be, but you might wanna change your fork before race season starts, it depend what kind of Dh race you gonna do.. but in my country most DH race doesnt look like BMX track but more like rock garden and fast bumpy sections, even if you think your totem is stiffer than the boxxer, i can tell you the boxxer is way more stiffer on highspeed bumpy section, and thats for sure, if u still think it's not, then look for a 40.... but to me the only piece on this bike atm you should worry about, if 2morow you are racing, is changing that front fork, the rest look like a very good build, don't forget you are racing not freeriding anymore, drop more cash in intelligent place on your bike instead of trying to make your bike shine with new stem/bars/pedals/sadals, buy thing that could help you go faster, are you sponsored ? if not buy parts that gonna hold more than a month, i know the blindside is light but i hope you build your bike with parts that can hold up your season, since its your first one, you gonna have some crash and break more parts than usual, this mean more $$$$, so the next little suggestion i could give you, is , invest in parts that gonna last and gonna make you perform better, better quality suspension, better wheels, a good solid crank... more and more DH race you gonna have with the same parts on your bike, faster you gonna progress, for your first season, you want the most time possible on the track and the less in the shop, dont forget that !

I'm more of a dog person
    don't listen to the wizard dude, obviously has no idea what he is talking about. yeah right a flimsy 32mm boxxer is stiffer than a 40mm totem with 1.5 steerer. no way jose. ridiculous statement. don't let someone else tell you what to and not to spend money on your bike. especially someone who is clueless.

Bottlerockin'
    Quote Originally Posted by the4berbs
    don't listen to the wizard dude, obviously has no idea what he is talking about. yeah right a flimsy 32mm boxxer is stiffer than a 40mm totem with 1.5 steerer. no way jose. ridiculous statement. don't let someone else tell you what to and not to spend money on your bike. especially someone who is clueless.
    Yeah, what's up with wizard?

mtbr member
    straight up.

Adam, you know when i lived out in Utah i saw guys racing semi-pro at DV - which is a straight nasty mountain - on single crowns .. most on 66's ...

the totem should be fine for out here. When Willamette Pass and Ski Bowl open for the summer we'll go up there.. that'd be a good place to see if you need a 40 or a boxxer.

- ryan

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Keep the Totem. Most of the people on here knocking it haven't tried it. The 1.5 is plenty stiff and the 7" of travel didn't hold me back at all. With mission control, the quality of travel is better than the Boxxer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan_daugherty
    straight up.

Adam, you know when i lived out in Utah i saw guys racing semi-pro at DV - which is a straight nasty mountain - on single crowns .. most on 66's ...

the totem should be fine for out here. When Willamette Pass and Ski Bowl open for the summer we'll go up there.. that'd be a good place to see if you need a 40 or a boxxer.

- ryan
    I live 5 minutes from that straight nasty mountain and a Totem adequately handles everything on it.

Meh.
    Totem is plenty stiff - stiffer than some DCs. Run what ya brung.

I'd suggest a chainguide, but it sounds like you've got that figured out already. MAYBE a close ratio cassette... but if you ride something other than DH, the wider spread might be nice. A short or medium cage derailleur will tuck it out of harms way some. Maybe drop a rotor size in the rear. A Thomson post would be nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm sure wizard has a good reason for his insistency on a DC, but honestly, I'll stick with the 5 lb 8 oz totem air for a while. I've got an ultegra 12-27 for those shuttle and race days...

Will - a thomson elite would be pretty slick. I've got the MP on another ride, but i just couldn't drop the extra few dollars for the elite to save a few grams over the FSA fr270 at this point. However, vanity will strike sooner or later; I have a feeling the fsa may be temporary...

Also, wizard, what is wrong with holzefeller cranks? Aside from heft they are one of the more favorable DH options, despite my partiality to Dhimano sets.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lollapalooza
    I live 5 minutes from that straight nasty mountain and a Totem adequately handles everything on it.
    yeah i rode a 66rc and a totem coil out there..
    its not as rocky out here as it is in northern utah.

Something you might want to try adam, highroller rear, minion dhf in front. it feels pretty good on NW dirt..

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard4620383
    im not too sure about how stiff the totem can be, but you might wanna change your fork before race season starts, it depend what kind of Dh race you gonna do.. but in my country most DH race doesnt look like BMX track but more like rock garden and fast bumpy sections, even if you think your totem is stiffer than the boxxer, i can tell you the boxxer is way more stiffer on highspeed bumpy section, and thats for sure
    And my friend you are wrong..... I have owned multiple examples of both totem and Boxxer and I will say plain and simple the 1.5 totem has NO more noticeable flex then that of the Boxxer. In fact i'd go a step further and contend that the totem is a tad stiffer.

The totem is a viable race fork. i've raced on mine
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Lots of props to the red hubs! Looks great.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2007

I would not come here and start flaming on this, but the only thing i can tell you out of this, is anyday, and when i say anyday,is nothing would change my mind on this, and again its my own opinion, you dont know me as i dont know you ,if i have a choice to race a SC fork who has 55 mm Stanchions vs a 32mm DC fork like a boxxer, ANYDAY i would go for the Boxxer... i will like to arg with you and give you big arguments, but if i start using big english words you gonna start having problems reading me, English is my 3rd language lol ... but if you ever race in America or in Europe this season,and we meet each other ,ill be glad to explain you correctly why i will always suggest a DC fork ..

to return on the thread, do w/e you want, dont get me wrong the totem is not a bad fork, its a great product, i'm sure you gonna like it....

check your six
    This is an interesting thread. First off, let me say that your ride is sweet! I really like the sticker layout. Is that just a black sticker over the white and offset? I have seen it done with red and black, but not white. I am debating on doing that on a Bottle Rocket, but with Brown and White on a raw frame. Not sure how that will look... Anyway that is one sweet ride!

Now, I can see the point Wizzard is trying to make. I am sure his actual tone wasn't what the post read like. My opinion on this is that a DC fork is not always stiffer than a single crown, but when riding a dual crown, like a 888, it gives me sooooo much more confidence on the bike over a single crown. The feeling of barreling down the mountain fast and furious and then looking down at the front of the bike and seeing the DC set-up, along with the added material down there, makes my intimidation factor go down a notch. However, the same scenario, and I look down to see a 66 and that set up, I don't feel as comfortable and I feel like I hold back some. Itís a smaller bike and smaller fork feeling. I am sure this has no effect on some people, but I am also sure that it does for a lot more than we think. I like to know that the bike is under me and will stay there, if that makes sense.

The Totem,... Personally I do not like them. Too plush for me. There are two Marin Quakes around here with Totems and DHX's on them. Riding them is like riding a marshmallow. Me no likey.... But, I am sure others swear by that kind of set up, the guys that have them here do. It is a personal choice... Do what you like. I have a bike with a Boxxer, one with a 888, a Pike, and as soon as the frame gets here, one with a 66. Personally, I like all of them and would recommend them to anyone.

As long as you have fun and make it down the hill in one piece, because that's all that really matters in the end. I like XSWill's saying... Run What Ya Brung.... It's true...
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Exactly Sodak, thats one of a good point why i do prefer racing with a DC over a SC...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    sodak- thanks alot for the compliments man. The sticker job is an offset white/black transition sticker... I almost left the frame black because i wanted an understated look, but I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

As far as the DC and its effect on confidence... you are right for sure. I began freeriding years ago (as ridiculous as this sounds) on a friends Kona stab with a Shiver... Man did i feel invincible... and slow... and stuck to the ground... and tired. You get the point. Anyway, i've since only ridden SC forks (66vf, totem 2 step, totem solo air) and have gotten pretty comfortable and confident riding bigger lines with the SC up front. No doubt a dual crown will inspire a bit more testosterone surge, I suppose it's all in what you are used to.

On a side note - check out the vivid when it is shock replacement time. I've been really impressed with the way it compares to dhx's and rocos.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    yeah btw nwfreeride, i wanted to ask you if you could review up that rear shock for us, when you gonna have quality time riding in mountain, there is no real good review at the moment, i would like to hear your opinion on it ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Wizard-

Sure thing man. Unfortunately, I've only had one ride on the bike since it's been built. I was able to take it up to falls city and ride a few familiar lines on it. I've never owned manitou rear, but the last shocks on the as-x were a dhx 5.0 and a roco tst -r (both coil). I was a bit more impressed with the dhx as a downhill shock than the tst, but really liked the versatility of the marzocchi. I chose the vivid for the blindside because I liked the idea of H/L speed rebound control, and the lack of a platform. While it certainly ins't out of the saddle pedal friendly on the blindside, it's worlds different than the dhx and the roco.

Overall the shock feels very supple and active in its initial travel, with very predictable ramping at the end of the stroke. To be honest, I set preload and low speed rebound and haven't tooled around with the high speed yet. It's a bit tough to discern the differences between a new bike with very different geometry in addition to a new rear shock, but what i can say is that the vivid feels very intent on keeping the rear tire on the ground over small repetitive bumps. I noticed the bike tracking and braking incredible well over rough lines, w/out the floater kit mind you. In addition, the shock took larger hits and drops smoother than anything i've ridden. Very predictable and very smooth through it's travel. I'll play around with rebound settings and bottom out bumpers later, but for now I am pretty damned pleased.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    Lots of props to the red hubs! Looks great.
    ha ha... i just had to. If you are going to build a set of wheels, why go half assed?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard4620383
    I would not come here and start flaming on this, but the only thing i can tell you out of this, is anyday, and when i say anyday,is nothing would change my mind on this, and again its my own opinion, you dont know me as i dont know you ,if i have a choice to race a SC fork who has 55 mm Stanchions vs a 32mm DC fork like a boxxer, ANYDAY i would go for the Boxxer... i will like to arg with you and give you big arguments, but if i start using big english words you gonna start having problems reading me, English is my 3rd language lol ... but if you ever race in America or in Europe this season,and we meet each other ,ill be glad to explain you correctly why i will always suggest a DC fork ..

to return on the thread, do w/e you want, dont get me wrong the totem is not a bad fork, its a great product, i'm sure you gonna like it....
    I know you're foreign, but save some commas for the rest of us, reading that first "sentence" is agonizing
    transition bike company

Dr Phil mmkay
    Quote Originally Posted by treeahsee
    I know you're foreign, but save some commas for the rest of us, reading that first "sentence" is agonizing
    At least he tried, man. I've taken three years of Spanish and I lack the cojones to go to a Spanish forum and post en Espanol. This is a web forum on mountain biking. I would hope that we could let slide a few grammatical errors for the sake of camaraderie for the sport.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Just giving him a hard time thanks for your concern tho
    transition bike company

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by treeahsee
    Just giving him a hard time thanks for your concern tho

.... NWfreeride: thanks for your little review, when you gonna have more time riding and if you feel like it, that would be great to hear more about your vivid shock ...

NICE KID...NICE

Sick build

I love those stealthy stickers. It looks inlaid or raised at first look. Best of luck with your new race career. The blindside should do you right.
    "At that point man, your just riding your bike."

Transition

Pedalshop

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    At least, you spelled "cojones" just right in Spanish! that's something!hahaha. Anyway, being Spanish myself, I'm quite sure you'd write better than some of the Spanish kids that post in Spanish bike forums..!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Phil mmkay
    At least he tried, man. I've taken three years of Spanish and I lack the cojones to go to a Spanish forum and post en Espanol. This is a web forum on mountain biking. I would hope that we could let slide a few grammatical errors for the sake of camaraderie for the sport.

Members who have read this thread: 0