07 RM Slayer SXC 50 vs 07 Kona Coiler Deluxe- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

07 RM Slayer SXC 50 vs 07 Kona Coiler Deluxe

I want to start this out by saying I'm new to the whole Mountain bike thing. I ride BMX and race dirt bikes in the desert. So I have the bike handling skills and know how to ride on the dirt With that being said, Jenson bikes (my local shop) is sell both the 07 Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC 50 and the Kona Coiler Deluxe both for $1900 and wonder which would be a better bike. Im 6'3' bout 190 lbs. Im looking something that is AM slash FR. I think to start with I'm not going to be doing to gnarly of stuff but within a few months I could see myself doing fast desends and drops. Im only 22 so I'll probally be doing some stupid stuff and be over confident. I saw the coiler deluxe has the ETA which I hear can be almost better than locking out your suspention when climbing. I really do want a bike that will take a good beating. Im leaning a little more to the desending side then the climbing. But im gunna have to go up to come down. My buddy I will be riding with just bought a 07 Giant Riegn 1 if that helps at all. (but hes also a roady....)
    What do you think? SXC or coiler. (or poss other) Thank you.

ups and downs
    The Kona Coiler is a bit more FR oriented than the SXC. I have a 2007 SXC and it is a bit more toward the XC side of All Mountain than the 2006 Slayer 50/70 models, which were light freeride bikes. If you picture yourself going bigger and gnarlier, the Kona is likely the better choice. If you were looking at a 2007 Slayer 50, it would be a bit tougher choice.

mtbr member
    Ya I wish they had the Slayer 50 bike at Jenson on sale. They only have the 07 Slayer 30 tho....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You can easily adjust the seatpost height from xc high to freeride dropped on the Kona,that's a big help when .you gotta climb up to ride down.One of my favorite bikes I ever had was my 2002 stinky primo which was just like a coiler at six inches or rear wheel travel,I was able to set it up for twenty five mile xc rides or for downhills depending on my choice of riding areas

Looks like the Slayer has limited seatpost adjustment due to shock placement.

StraightOuttaCompton
    get the coiler, they are bulletproof. Believe me, i rode mine thru compton.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    LOL. Well hell if you can ride it through Compton it must be bullet proof. Well thanks guys I was leaning toward the coiler and you just made me feel better about my choice. Looks like ill be picking it up tomorrow morning. Thanks again.

clyde in training
    Quote Originally Posted by RC_Compton
    LOL. Well hell if you can ride it through Compton it must be bullet proof. Well thanks guys I was leaning toward the coiler and you just made me feel better about my choice. Looks like ill be picking it up tomorrow morning. Thanks again.
    post pics

StraightOuttaCompton
    post pics
    you can't carry a camera in compton, it will get stolen, duh.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 08nwsula
    post pics

X2

mtbr member
    I feel like I've seen this thread somewhere else....

Get the Coiler. You'll have to put some grunt into it to keep up with your buddy on the reign on the tough climbs, but you'll be able to kick the sh*t out of him on the descents. Seems like a good trade off to me.

Descending>Ascending.

_
    Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    Descending>Ascending.
    amen.

another vote for the coiler. I've spend a lot of time on my buddy's '07 slayer sxc 70. It climbs great, and actually jumps really well too. But, it's super light and gets a little sketchy on the super gnarred out sections. Plus the standover height is pretty tall, so if you like to get your seat down for jumping/ downhilling... it can become problematic.

The coiler's a pedaling freeride bike.

The slayer's an all mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    im in a bind over this myself except im debating over a coiler deluxe or an sx trail II, 800 euros in the difference, i know the sx is probably a better bike but its so pretty looking, i love the hardcore look of the coiler, ive been two and fro on this for ages, dammit

Oh, So Interesting!
    You'll have to put some grunt into it to keep up with your buddy on the reign on the tough climbs, but you'll be able to kick the sh*t out of him on the descents. Seems like a good trade off to me.

Descending>Ascending.
    I'd take the Reign, if its a Reign X even better...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I feel like I've seen this thread somewhere else....
    You probably saw the thread I made a few months ago, although it was between an '06 Slayer 50 and an '07 Bottlerocket. The BR won out on that one.
    Jump it onto something off of something or over something.

There's more to freeriding than dirt jumps.

mtbr member
    Thanks again for all the input guys. Making me feel much better about my choice. I'm gunna be hitting up the muddy trails here in So Cal tomorrow. Try and post some pics.

mtbr member
    Just picked it up today and alreaddy went for a ride. It was amazing. Only thing I wish I would of had was my dirt bike goggles cause I kept throwing all kinds of rocks and sand straight into my eyes. lol. But on the downhill it was awesome. Already hit a couple of 4-5 foot drops and some smaller jumps. Took it all like a champ. And the uphill with the ETA was cake. Forgot my comera but next time I go out I'll be sure to big it and post them on the Konas in action thread. Thanks again for all your help and I love my new toy.

mtbr member
    Just picked it up today and alreaddy went for a ride. It was amazing. Only thing I wish I would of had was my dirt bike goggles cause I kept throwing all kinds of rocks and sand straight into my eyes. lol. But on the downhill it was awesome. Already hit a couple of 4-5 foot drops and some smaller jumps. Took it all like a champ. And the uphill with the ETA was cake. Forgot my comera but next time I go out I'll be sure to big it and post them on the Konas in action thread. Thanks again for all your help and I love my new toy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    how do you find the fork? do you mis the lack of compression dampening?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkest_fugue

Its his first mountain bike. He probably doesnt know if he misses it or not...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    oh yes, i forgot about that

mtbr member
    There's no such thing as compression dampening....
    Last edited by dowst; 03-16-2008 at 09:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    very sorry there to get my terms mixed up to give to the urge to insult me!!! ....ahem, compression adjust, happy!!!

mtbr member
    very sorry there to get my terms mixed up to give to the urge to insult me!!! ....ahem, compression adjust, happy!!!
    The term is damping. Dampening would be to get something wet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    thanks for that, i wouldve appreciated that response first more

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Glad to hear you are enjoying your new ride. Now I just need to get my BR out of layaway and put together.
    Jump it onto something off of something or over something.

There's more to freeriding than dirt jumps.

mtbr member
    now childern no need to fight bout damping. lol. And im sure im not gunna mess with that for a while. Preload seemed a little high tho. but you know what? I dont care. It has 2 wheels, and can ride on the dirt. I'm happy

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    that was my whole point, the fork on your bike doesnt have damping adjust, it just has rebound adjust.

mtbr member
    got some pix for you guys! Not bad for my 3rd day on a MTB

you can check out the vid at

https://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...deoID=31242985

My right foot slipt off cause I was on the ball of my foot a little to much. But not bad for my first med size hit.

Thanks again for everyone that told me to buy the Kona I absolutely love it!

_
    Word dude. If you're doing that this early... It's def better that you got the Coiler. The slayer... isn't really built for that stuff. esp if you're going to go bigger. Which i'm sure you are.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    damn

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    woah that was amazing, it gave me sweaty palms just looking at it, my SXT II arrives next week but itll be a long time before i try anything like that on it, if ever, hey be careful eh, i hate seeing or hearing about people getting hurt

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. But ya I'm pretty careful usually. Im an EMT on an amubulance out here and mainly only ride with my EMT and Medic buddies. So i do have people to take care of me if I do get hurt. The drop was to nice to pass up though. The take off was PERFECT and the landing was nice. (could have been a little steeper though)

mtbr member
    Most guys who have been riding for a very long time wouldn't hit that thing. I guess ignorance inspires confidence.

You're the man.

moaaar shimz
    The term is damping. Dampening would be to get something wet.
    Many people and sources including the Wikipedia (excluding the definition in suspension) state both words are correct for the same meaning, nevertheless dampening indeed means to get something wet as in the printing process (dampening system).

mtbr member
    lol. you still stuck on the whole dampening vs damping thing.

Its got what plants crave
    damp·en (dām'pən) Pronunciation Key
    v. damp·ened, damp·en·ing, damp·ens

v. tr.

To make damp.
    To deaden, restrain, or depress: "trade moves . . . aimed at dampening protectionist pressures in Congress" (Christian Science Monitor).
    To soundproof.

v. intr.
    To become damp.

damp'en·er n.

damp·ing /ˈdæmpɪŋ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[dam-ping] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun Physics. 1. a decreasing of the amplitude of an electrical or mechanical wave.
    2. an energy-absorbing mechanism or resistance circuit causing this decrease.
    3. a reduction in the amplitude of an oscillation or vibration as a result of energy being dissipated as heat.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
    Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

Seems like you can use either to me?

moaaar shimz
    Just stay with damping and it's all good

mtbr member
    new little movie I put together, let me know what you think. Im in the tan skate lid with the coiler D. Its mainly all me with a little bit of my buddies little cousin.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="https://i126.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=https://vid126.photobucket.com/albums/p114/rc_compton/MTBvideoyoutube.flv">

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    that looks like a fun trail and a nice vid, plus your a really good rider

mtbr member
    lol. thanks man

Members who have read this thread: 0