07 66 rc2x adjust travel and new springs?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

07 66 rc2x adjust travel and new springs?

Are there aftermarket springs for the 07 66 rc2x ?

I hate using air preload for my 210lbs. Is there a spring kit for heavy riders?

What about lowering it to 165mm? Is there any easy way to do that?

Thanks!

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    I think Brad of Nemisis Project has a way to lower travel.

I weigh the same as you and barely need any air pre-load. (I have an 06 model though) Is your sag correct in "attack position"? (I like 20-25 % sag.)

edit: Marzocchi Tech told me that they don't make different springs for my 06. Air preload is the only adjustment...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_Dog
    Are there aftermarket springs for the 07 66 rc2x ?

I hate using air preload for my 210lbs. Is there a spring kit for heavy riders?

What about lowering it to 165mm? Is there any easy way to do that?

Thanks!
    Don't know about firmer spings. What do you hate about the air preload? With that, it'd seem that you'd easily be able to get it properly sagged for your weight and then control the rest of the stroke with the compression adjusts, no?

Can you lower it? I don't think so. Sounds like you should've gotten the 66 SL ATA or the 66 with ETA if that's the case.

EDIT: I remember Singletrack (Joel) did a travel adjust where he cut his RC2X cartridge on his '06 and then re-assemebled it with JB Weld. Of course, it came apart on him in Nelson, but it lasted a long while for him.

EB

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I did saw lowered 66rc2x on nice nemesis somwhere on this forum. Some time ago thou.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    What do you hate about the air preload?
    Air preload makes the forks feel harsh and kills their small bump sensitivity. Motocross forks have air bleeder valves to get that extra air out of the forks, to keep them plush. The proper solution is heavier springs. Marzocchi does not offer them for the 2005-2007 66 forks, but their main competitors do (Fox Van 36 and RockShox Totem).

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by watermoccasin
    Air preload makes the forks feel harsh and kills their small bump sensitivity. Motocross forks have air bleeder valves to get that extra air out of the forks, to keep them plush. The proper solution is heavier springs. Marzocchi does not offer them for the 2005-2007 66 forks, but their main competitors do (Fox Van 36 and RockShox Totem).
    I'm not saying that firmer springs shouldn't be available....they should. However, I've got an '07 66 and utilize the air preload function and it feels pretty darn good. Although, I'm not nearly the weight of the OP, but I just use a few pumps on each side and it's good to go.

I'm assuming watermoccasin that you don't like the air function on your 66 as well?

EB

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I haven't bought the 66 yet.

My buddy has one and I couldn't get it to feel good for my style and weight. I thought it felt a little divey. If I added air, it would feel harsh on top. Same with LSC. Too harsh.

Air forks are out of the question. I didn't equip my bike with top of the line reliable parts to screw it up with an air spung part.

It makes me mad that us heavy and abusive riders can't get a decently strong and stiff coil fork under 170mm.

Stupid rockshox doesn't have a Uturn Totem. That would satisfy a lot of riders out there.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_Dog
    Stupid rockshox doesn't have a Uturn Totem. That would satisfy a lot of riders out there.
    No, but they do have a U Turn domain and, frankly, the 2 guys I know riding those have had WAY more success with them than my buddies and their totems (coil and air versions). Every single person I know locally (6 in total) riding Totems have had issues with the seals and 4 of them have sent them in 2x already.

Cheers,
    EB

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

He's right...

I know exactly what you are saying my man. EB weighs about 110 so he can't speak on the subject. I weigh about the same as you and ride hard. The air preload sucks on the 66 for our weights. I sold mine after a season because I could never get that good small bump and also have it suck up the drops. Marz. sort of admitted that we are on the threshold of what the fork was designed for as far as weight goes. I talked to them about the issue and sent it in to see if they could work and magic. No dice. Same story. I sold it to a buddy who weighs 180 and it's perfect for him. Wish they still had the spring swap like the old forks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    I'm not saying that firmer springs shouldn't be available....they should. However, I've got an '07 66 and utilize the air preload function and it feels pretty darn good. Although, I'm not nearly the weight of the OP, but I just use a few pumps on each side and it's good to go.

I'm assuming watermoccasin that you don't like the air function on your 66 as well?

EB
    Yes, I do hate the air preload on my 66 rc2x (on my uphill bike). It feels okay with up to 5 pumps of preload, then it goes to crap. And I need 10-15 pumps to get proper sag. My 888 has heavy springs and works much better for me at 215 lbs.

surf-ride-repeat
    I want to "weigh in" on this

Some of this was already stated, but:

I had to let go of the assumption that I should not bottom out my forik, and that Sag was robbing me of travel. I am running an 08 FOX 36 Talas . The fork is just awseome for trail and mid size free ride tomfoolery. I run the sag at about 20-30%. I have the High and low speed compression dialied in to cut brake dive, still allow for low speeed bump compliance, and to still ramp up quick for big hits. The fork does occasionally use all of it's travel, but they are designed to do this. Running the proper sag assures the best performance of the fork. I think the 36 Talas is just amazing feeling throughout it's travel... small, big, fast, slow... all can be dailed in very well. It has busted many assumptions I had:

Air forks are too soft,
    Air forks can't do big stuff.
    Sag means less travel
    You should never bottom out.

= wrong.

So, ya, measure sag in the attack position, try and run the recommended sag for your fork, allow the fork to occasionally bottom out... all is well.

The 08 Fox 36 Talas is 6.3" inches of travel at just over 5 pounds! I was hesitant because of my sworn Marzocchi alliance, but I am all in on the fork now. Perfect fork for my application. We'll see how she feels in a year to see if she can surpass Marzocchi durability, as well... that is a TALL order though.

Trying a little
    p-dirt can you tell us how many clicks thx

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Members who have read this thread: 0