06 Stinky rocker, design flaw OR one off case- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

06 Stinky rocker, design flaw OR one off case

Iím sure most of you have seen a couple of photos of a bent rocker from a 06 stinky. The word is that there seems to be some type of design fault... Well Iím happy to report thatís bull ****. For a while I have been looking to buy a 06 model but I will admit those pictures threw me off a bitÖ So I decided to contact the tech department at kona, this is the e-mail I got back. ďOur guy in Germany gets that picture sent to him once a week, of course it's
    from someone who doesn't actually own any bikes, sometimes even from a
    person at another bike company.

Where I am we've got the largest market in the world for Stinkys. We've got
    the Clump team riders who were running those bikes last summer without
    problems. We have had a few riders bend rockers on bad landings or trying
    out for contests. Anyone who's bent a set so far here has been given a set
    of the solid heavy duty rockers like we use on the rental bikes for free,
    and they haven't had another problem.

So if you really want one, get it and don't worry.Ē

So enough said, I hope I donít hear any more about this bull **** with a design fault !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

ride hard take risks
    Nice job! :7:

I hate texas
    Respect Cape Cult Member #21 "The California Respector"

Meh.
    I duno, but those Saint cranks still look dented to me.

Solid frames. I think I've seen one other picture of a bent rocker. Those heavy duty ones look cool.

mtbr member
    Those heavy duty (HD) ones are the linkages they will send you at no cost if yours happen to bend. They also use the HD ones on there rental bikes at there sponsored bike parks around the world.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicodude01
    Useless without the complete story on how it happened. It does appear the crank is damaged, too. Not JRA damage to either.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Pain Is A State Of Mind
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Useless without the complete story on how it happened.
    What story.....he was riding on the sidewalk and all of a sudden.....BAM....the toptube self destructs

The cranks look damaged to me also!

P.S. I wish we had the one smiley where its on its back rolling back and fourth laughing(like RM's)
    Opportunity awaits those that are worthy....
    Photamagrapher---http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=244688

mtbr member
    This is kinda interesting. I was at a race 2 weeks ago and I noticed that on some guys Stinky, one of his rockers had what appeared to be the beginning of bad news. I thought it looked like the aluminum was buckling a bit. I noticed it but I just kind of assumed it was nothing, plus I don't know how to say, "Whats up with your rocker?" in Italian. Anyway, the failure point in the pic here corresponds exactly to where I saw the problem on this guys rocker. I will say though, he finished the race no problem, and probably still has no idea.

As long as they will replace them with the HD ones for free, there isn't much to complain about. You rarely hear annyone complaining about a Kona.

Also, I would think it illl advised to parrot off what the company has to say about their product as if it were gospel. I wouldn't exactly call them an objective party in this.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by james_caswell
    Iím

So enough said, I hope I donít hear any more about this bull **** with a design fault !!!
    what??? do you work for Kona
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    Useless without the complete story on how it happened. It does appear the crank is damaged, too. Not JRA damage to either.

riding on a sidewalk and bam.................I was there when it bent.....me and Dannyboy were drinking so we rode our bikes home
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by james_caswell
    Iím sure most of you have seen a couple of photos of a bent rocker from a 06 stinky. The word is that there seems to be some type of design fault... Well Iím happy to report thatís bull ****. For a while I have been looking to buy a 06 model but I will admit those pictures threw me off a bitÖ So I decided to contact the tech department at kona, this is the e-mail I got back. ďOur guy in Germany gets that picture sent to him once a week, of course it's
    from someone who doesn't actually own any bikes, sometimes even from a
    person at another bike company.

Where I am we've got the largest market in the world for Stinkys. We've got
    the Clump team riders who were running those bikes last summer without
    problems. We have had a few riders bend rockers on bad landings or trying
    out for contests.
    Anyone who's bent a set so far here has been given a set
    of the solid heavy duty rockers like we use on the rental bikes for free,
    and they haven't had another problem.

So if you really want one, get it and don't worry.Ē

Who is saying it's a design flaw? It's plainly a design compromise, weight vs. strength is a safe guess, no more, no less.

Or do you suppose the Kona engineers came up with a special recipe that prevents their designs from being (ab)used to the point of failure?

The design is clearly not bombproof as the picture above and others (see Kona forum) as well as your own Clump riders in the world's biggest Stinky market can attest to.

I ride a Coiler and think Konas are neat, but I don't think they are 1) Perfect or 2) Indestructible
    Tšglich drei Millionen Leser der Kronenzeitung abzulehnen, ist ein Zeichen tiefster moralischer Verkommenheit.

T.Dot Represent
    well if they knew that those linkages would be weaker then the ones used on the rental bikes then why didnt they simply spec the rental ones on ALL off their bikes
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by finchy
    well if they knew that those linkages would be weaker then the ones used on the rental bikes then why didnt they simply spec the rental ones on ALL off their bikes
    It's what happens when the design dept. wins over the R&D. Looks sell.

I hate texas

He BB cased a 50 foot road gap.
    Respect Cape Cult Member #21 "The California Respector"

Glad to Be Alive
    shhhhhhh...........:mad2: we all know that

Just roll it......
    So what was the point of the picture? Just to show what happens to a Stinky when you case a road gap? I guess I missed the reason in your explanation. I own 2 Konas and, by all means, haven't drank any kool aid that they're indestructible or perfect, but I have a hard time believing most bikes would handle an impact like that very well.

As for the stock rockers vs. the HD, I'm sure it was a design and weight compromise with the lighter set. Kona is always being lambasted by the mags and in forums for being overbuilt, heavy, etc. so maybe they're trying to shave weight where they can on those? Purely speculation, but I'd prefer to know my rockers wouldn't fold on me if I hit something wrong. Good to know that Kona's stepping up to anyone that has issues though. I'd expect no less......

Cheers,
    EBX

kona-tize me captain
    i like those plates more than the stock ones. looks liek chico's didnt bend though
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    May 2006

Here's a response from Kona

I am looking at buying a stinky, but with all of these bent rockers and wobbley back-ends that people talk about I decided to go to the source. Here's what Kona replied with.

"We have seen 3 bent rockers worldwide. The wonders of the internet, eh? Suddenly it comes off as an epidemic. No, donít worry. None of our pros have bent any rockers, and they have been doing much larger than three feet. Itís a tough bike."

He said three feet, since I'm a noob and said that I will slowly be working my way up from small three foot drops to who knows what. This is my first full suspension bike so now I get to drop off stuff.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by FreerideMonkey
    I am looking at buying a stinky, but with all of these bent rockers and wobbley back-ends that people talk about I decided to go to the source. Here's what Kona replied with.

"We have seen 3 bent rockers worldwide. The wonders of the internet, eh? Suddenly it comes off as an epidemic. No, donít worry. None of our pros have bent any rockers, and they have been doing much larger than three feet. Itís a tough bike."

He said three feet, since I'm a noob and said that I will slowly be working my way up from small three foot drops to who knows what. This is my first full suspension bike so now I get to drop off stuff.
    Buy N Fly go get it!!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by FreerideMonkey
    I This is my first full suspension bike so now I get to drop off stuff.

it is a good bike.......have fun with it

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I actually ordered the bike yesterday. We had a great employee only sale and I picked it up for $1720 before taxes. Now I just have to sit and wait patiently until it arrives. I WANT IT NOW!! Whistler opens this weekend!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My rockers bent on my brand new replacement frame after riding the bike 3 times. But Kona already sent me new ones.
    THROW IT DOWN!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The cranks are not damaged, thats greese. Your tripping..
    THROW IT DOWN!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Other than that are you happy with the bike?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Totally happy.
    THROW IT DOWN!

Members who have read this thread: 0