'06 Norco Six Three or '05 Coiler?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

'06 Norco Six Three or '05 Coiler?

I'm looking into a new pedalable FR bike. The Six Three is $1685 cdn, the Coiler (I'm guessing here) will be around $1600. What should I buy? I'm not a super serious rider, so I'm not sure if I need the better bike that the Coiler is. My thinking is that I wouldn't even be able to feel the upgrades. However, if the Coiler is cheaper (it wouldn't be used, just a closeout), should I go for that? The Norco dealer here isn't great, but the Kona dealer is absolutely awesome (free service for life). I might be able to get more for my Kona hardtail at the Norco dealer, however, as they have a Shop 'n Swap every year. i don't know that though.

By the way, if you haven't seen the new Norco's, their new site is up.

Meh.
    Both bikes are very nice bikes. The only complaint that I had about the Six is the extra weight. Norco says that they made the bike lighter for o6, but who knows.

The Coiler suffers from brake jack but is a pretty efficient pedaler. The Six uses the Specialized FSR design, and I noticed very little bob or brake jack.

The o5 Coilers have a pretty high standover, so make sure you try them out first.

Soooo... Both bikes are great bikes that have their pros and cons. I say try both bikes and just see which one you like better.

I actually have ridden both bikes. I spent 2 weeks in the Northwest riding the Six, and I have a Coiler.

If the ride quality and everything is pretty similar, then I say you go to the shop with better service.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Bump.

Cheesiest
    I've never actually ridden either bike. But, I've ridden a Stinky, and to me the brake jack was noticable, but okay once you get used to it.

Just recently, a local shop started carrying Norcos, and the Six feels really nice. I may try to save my pennies and get a Six next spring.

Good Luck, and if you get the Six, let me know how it rides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Anybody know how big the tires are and how much front travel the Six has?

Depending on the price, I'll probably end up with the Coiler just because the Kona dealer is awesome and the Norco dealer are dicks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Both bikes are very nice bikes. The only complaint that I had about the Six is the extra weight. Norco says that they made the bike lighter for o6, but who knows.
    service.
    The 06 is All Mountain not VPS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I am going to be getting the Coiler if the dealer doesn't sell it before my bike sells.