06 Manitou Travis single- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

06 Manitou Travis single

I was wondering if anyone knows if this fork is good. I am shopping around for a long travel singlecrown w/1.5 headtube for freeride use but cant afford a 66. any input is appreciated
    Evan

General Rabble-Rouser
    I've been curious about the new manitou stuff too the ISX6 is getting rave reviews

Does anyone know when Hayes officially took over control of production quality?
    I'm pretty sure that would have a big impact on the overall quality that was lacking when Answer was busy making cruddy product

mtbr member
    Theyre not as bad as some people make them out to be, but theyre still no RC2X.

Bike Ninja |||
    if you can get your hands on an intrinsic model they rule, the tpc+ model i haven't been impressed with. like dowst said it's no marzocchi.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

TNC
    noMAD man

Good fork.

One of the other guys at the shop recently got a Session 77 with this fork. He's a bonafide freerider, and this fork has been excellent. I've seen it save his bacon on several occasions. It's an Intrinsic model. I've ridden it on some tamer stuff, and it has great small bump compliance while still being able to take big hits and hard front heavy landings with ease. This guy is relatively fearless, so the bike has to save him occasionally. Frankly it feels about as good as any high end Marz fork...no bull.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Anyone know what exactly are the difference between a Travis single and a Sherman breakout?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by foxracing
    Anyone know what exactly are the difference between a Travis single and a Sherman breakout?
    34mm stanchions instead of 32mm, Intrinsic damping instead of SPV, black stanchions, that's about it I guess. Newer Travis forks have some kind of quick release thru axle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evanandpeaches
    I was wondering if anyone knows if this fork is good. I am shopping around for a long travel singlecrown w/1.5 headtube for freeride use but cant afford a 66. any input is appreciated
    Evan
    I have a TRVIS, although it has internals that have some factory mods done the fork feels good. I rode a MONSTER T for 3 or so years. This fork is almost as plush, not so stiff, but like half the weight!

I also have COIL ISX 6 rear shock and it is awsome. Feels much better than 5th, SWINGER 6 Way. Feels very similiar to the classic FOX RC!!! Meaninig it actually has small bump compliance.

Portland, OR
    I have one, I have the intrisinct model. Honestly....its as good if not much better than the 66 series forks from zocchi. I would reccomend the travis > 66 to any rider. I am very impressed with the fork and I've ridden it pretty hard so far. been awesome.

Compaired to the breakout...well other than color, Nothing if the travis is a TPC+ model.

All of the sherman breakouts are TPC+ not SPV Most of them are OEM off of kingfishers from gary fisher.

If you can find an intrisinct model then jump on it! if you can only find TPC+ then both are a god choice.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

keystone addict
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    One of the other guys at the shop recently got a Session 77 with this fork. He's a bonafide freerider, and this fork has been excellent. I've seen it save his bacon on several occasions. It's an Intrinsic model. I've ridden it on some tamer stuff, and it has great small bump compliance while still being able to take big hits and hard front heavy landings with ease. This guy is relatively fearless, so the bike has to save him occasionally. Frankly it feels about as good as any high end Marz fork...no bull.

Jesus christ!!!! can you say DEAD SAILOR????? or was he doing a backflip
    I kinda wish my brakes actually worked, but I guess that just makes me faster, right?

keystone addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjenn
    I have a TRVIS, although it has internals that have some factory mods done the fork feels good. I rode a MONSTER T for 3 or so years. This fork is almost as plush, not so stiff, but like half the weight!

I also have COIL ISX 6 rear shock and it is awsome. Feels much better than 5th, SWINGER 6 Way. Feels very similiar to the classic FOX RC!!! Meaninig it actually has small bump compliance.

Um, how the hell did you get a 1.5 headtube m3?

That's a sick bike, btw, dude.
    I kinda wish my brakes actually worked, but I guess that just makes me faster, right?

keystone addict
    Okay, manitou boys, I have a question.

whatever happened to the 200 mm travis single crown? that was the first thing that the travis was gonna be known for before it came out, and it was always on their website (maybe it still is, i dunno). has anyone ever seen one? cuz i sure havent...

moaaar shimz
    66 > Travis

Good fork though

mtbr member
    Um, how the hell did you get a 1.5 headtube m3?

That's a sick bike, btw, dude.

It was a MANITOU test sled! There are 2 others in the world! Will eventually get a triple on there.......
    SHOWA????

TNC
    noMAD man
    LOL!...believe it or not, he ended up landing that step-up just fine...but it sure makes a rad pic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Travis/Sherman differences

I'm just refering to the 1.5 models

The Breakout had adjustible travel 110-150mm and had TPC damping only. It was availible OEM and aftermarket. Lowers came in black and maybe urban cammo too.
    Crown was black, and the uppers were bronze-ish colored, 32mm (stanchions)

The Breakout+(Plus) was adjustible travel 130- 170mm. It Came with TPC+ (OEM only) or with SVP damping (Aftermarket, and OEM on Ironhorse and some others). Lowers came in Black or urban camo (aftermarket), or Gray (Ironhorse OEM with slightly different decals). Uppers had black crowns and bronze stanchions 32mm. I own a black Aftermarket, and a silver OEM on my 2004 IronHorse SGS FR Team.

There are a few differences from the breakout to the Travis: 34mm uppers no travel adjustment, optional? QR-20 axle clamp.
    The Travis is fixed travel, and comes in either 180mm or 203mm models. The Aftermarket versions have Intrinsic damping. The OEM versions have TPC+ damping. Mine is a 2006 with 180mm travel, intrinsic damping, and a QR type axle/clamp. Most of the ones i see have a regular bolt on clamp (i prefer the bolt ons for simplicity). Mine are all black (uppers, crown and lowers), but 2007 models are also availible in White and green with bronze uppers plus the all black.

If anyone has a new 180mm or 203mm TPC+ TRAVIS with regular bolt on axle, and wants to trade for my intrinsic, let me know.

-tg

Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    I have one, I have the intrisinct model. Honestly....its as good if not much better than the 66 series forks from zocchi. I would reccomend the travis > 66 to any rider. I am very impressed with the fork and I've ridden it pretty hard so far. been awesome.

Compaired to the breakout...well other than color, Nothing if the travis is a TPC+ model.

All of the sherman breakouts are TPC+ not SPV Most of them are OEM off of kingfishers from gary fisher.

If you can find an intrisinct model then jump on it! if you can only find TPC+ then both are a god choice.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by gomestr

If anyone has a new 180mm or 203mm TPC+ TRAVIS with regular bolt on axle, and wants to trade for my intrinsic, let me know.

-tg
    Wow, that shows a lot of confidence in their products.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Jensonusa.com has the 07 66 for $540. Don't know if that is in your price range or not but it's less than the travis

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I bought the Travis single intrinsic 180 on Ebay. I thought i was getting the TPC+ version. I havn't rode the intrinsic one at all, but from what i have heard, I won't like it. I also don't care for the QR -20 axle. I like the simple bolt on. I didn't really like SVP too much -- had some problems with them. I have never had any trouble with TPC forks, so I want to stick with that. If anyone prefers the intrinsic, and wants to trade a TPC travis, i'll swap.

-tg

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Wow, that shows a lot of confidence in their products.

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjenn
    those pedals give me nightmares.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by evanandpeaches
    Evan
    Here's my response to a thread a few weeks ago. Since then, I've gone back to the stock spring which works better for my weight. If it blows up on me again, then so be it.....I'll move on to another fork. Pic is from last weekend hitting a road gap.....when the fork runs, it's great.

Cheers,
    EB

--------------------------

I've got a 180mm Travis. When this fork is working, it's really nice. Generally, there haven't been too many issues with it from most users though.

I blew up the compression cartridge 4 times (all at Whistler) last season. The good news is that Manitou took great care of me and I never had much time off the bike at all (Summit Sports is their service center right in Whistler), but the bad news manitou never really figured out why they kept going t!ts up for some folks....... The explanation I got was around too much heat on long descents and then a sudden bottom out off of something would rip the intrinsic cartridge to shreds. That jibes with how mine would blow up, long runs with a big drop in the middle and clank.....all damping (rebound and compression) gone. This is congruent with what the guys at Summit who run them have had with thier travis as well.

Well, Manitiou didn't have many issues with these forks anywhere else in the world (other than Les Gets) and were supposedly coming out with a revised cartridge which was scrapped due to the sale to Hayes. For folks that continually had this issue (especially up there), they would swap out to a TPC+ cartridge which is what they did for me. Also, they thought I was bottoming the fork too hard off of bigger hits (even with the intrinsic dialed all the way in) and they put a "firm" spring in the fork....which I'm about to remove because it's too firm on the small stuff and I'm not getting enough sag.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    What do you plan to do with the firm spring?

I weigh 230, and want to get a firmer spring than stock if i keep my travis single intrinsic 180.

how difficult/expesive is it to change to TPC+?

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Here's my response to a thread a few weeks ago. Since then, I've gone back to the stock spring which works better for my weight. If it blows up on me again, then so be it.....I'll move on to another fork. Pic is from last weekend hitting a road gap.....when the fork runs, it's great.

Cheers,
    EB

--------------------------

I've got a 180mm Travis. When this fork is working, it's really nice. Generally, there haven't been too many issues with it from most users though.

I blew up the compression cartridge 4 times (all at Whistler) last season. The good news is that Manitou took great care of me and I never had much time off the bike at all (Summit Sports is their service center right in Whistler), but the bad news manitou never really figured out why they kept going t!ts up for some folks....... The explanation I got was around too much heat on long descents and then a sudden bottom out off of something would rip the intrinsic cartridge to shreds. That jibes with how mine would blow up, long runs with a big drop in the middle and clank.....all damping (rebound and compression) gone. This is congruent with what the guys at Summit who run them have had with thier travis as well.

Well, Manitiou didn't have many issues with these forks anywhere else in the world (other than Les Gets) and were supposedly coming out with a revised cartridge which was scrapped due to the sale to Hayes. For folks that continually had this issue (especially up there), they would swap out to a TPC+ cartridge which is what they did for me. Also, they thought I was bottoming the fork too hard off of bigger hits (even with the intrinsic dialed all the way in) and they put a "firm" spring in the fork....which I'm about to remove because it's too firm on the small stuff and I'm not getting enough sag.

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    its dope, me likee.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by gomestr
    What do you plan to do with the firm spring?

I weigh 230, and want to get a firmer spring than stock if i keep my travis single intrinsic 180.

how difficult/expesive is it to change to TPC+?

thanks.
    It's not going back in the fork.......I'll sell it for cheap. Say $20 including shipping? I'm 155 and the firm was just way too firm for me. PM me if you're amenable to that..... Changing the spring is about a 5 minute operation.

Manitou exchanged the cartridge for me, so I don't know how difficult it was or the cost. Basically, I was in Summit every weekend for a month or so when my intrinsic cartridge was blowing up. This was the final attempt to keep me as a customer. Incidentally, this is what the guys at Summit were doing on their own forks because their intrinsic were also blowing up on them. They had long given up on the intrinsic cartridges for Whistler use.

EB

Members who have read this thread: 0