05 vanillas or the sherman flick plus???- Mtbr.com
    da giant head

New question here. 05 vanillas or the sherman flick plus???

i was wondering if i should get an 05 vanilla RLC or a Manitou Sherman Flick Plus

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stp1crazy
    i was wondering if i should get an 05 vanilla RLC or a Manitou Sherman Flick Plus
    u have the option of the 20mm thru axle with the flick.....

i have an 03 sherman firefly that i scored for 120 bux and i love the thing, its bad ass....
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

T.Dot Represent
    the sherman has a 20mm thru, it compression, rebound adjustments. it is plush as hell fi set up properly and looks bad ass. not to mention its strong as hell.

the vanilla is an all mountain fork/ 4X fork. i wouldnt use it for FR due to the lack of thruaxle i had a QR fork (DJ3) and when reacing a freind of mine on a bmx my wheel became dislogged under the pressure of the 8 inch rotor and the hayes MAG... i didnt even bother to get it fixed. just went and bought a 20mm thur axle fork once this happens to u once ull understand!
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

Schmeow Productions

he has

he has a stp1 and he is doing mostly dj and urban... i for one think he should get the manitou, but he is really stubborn and wants the vanillas because they are sub-4 pounds...
    se ya on the mountain trav!

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude
    u have the option of the 20mm thru axle with the flick.....

i have an 03 sherman firefly that i scored for 120 bux and i love the thing, its bad ass....
    $120? That's a smokin' deal. A buddy of mine just sold his (never used) for $390 on ebay.

Never had a real problem with QR stuff, but I'd certainly choose a thru-axle fork over a QR any day.
    --Tod

"I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's law; I merely enforce it."

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I have ridden both

I had an 03 RLC and now have a Firefly on my Heckler. I like the Firefly much better for my style riding.

The Fox was better on small bump hits. More supple. It works great on tight single track also. I had some trouble with the Fox fork on steep technical drop off terrain feeling too steep. That is where the Firefly is much better. The Firefly is also better on fast aggressive rocky DH terrain (IMO). It has a more stable feeling to it. I think this is a combination of the 20 mil and the greater crown to axle distance between them.

Check the crown to axle distances on the new Fox fork. If they have not changed from the older stuff for 05, then this is some thing to consider in your selection.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stp1crazy
    Just because both forks have 32mm stanchions doesn't mean they are equal forks. The Fox is around 1pound less than the sherman. That tells ya something is missing from the FOX in order to save weight.

Fox has hollow crown, aluminum steerer, thin stanchion walls, and QR. All four of which add up to a light but weak fork. If you are a light person and don't do any drops, then the Fox is perfect. If you weigh a lot or do ANY type of dropping, get the sherman. BTW, the sherman flick plus is a 150mm fork right? The 2004 model is 130mm right along with the FOX. You can pick up an 04 sherman flick from Greenfishsports.com for $300. Do a forum search and you will find a cupon code for 10% off. I paid $316 shipped for mine.

If I were you, I would look into getting a RS PIKE instead. It will give you 95-140mm of travel, it's tough as nails, and will make your bike much more versatile for freeriding and trail riding. Also goes for $320 from AEBIKE.com