'05 Fox 36 vs. Firefly + vs. fat kids....- Mtbr.com
    Clever Slogan
    Jun 2004

'05 Fox 36 vs. Firefly + vs. fat kids....

Currently, I have a Fox 36 on order, backorder rather and I'm told it could be spring before it arrives. I need a new fork, now. I'm the most impatient bastard there is when it comes to getting new stuff. It's gonna go on my hardtail which, depending on wheels, will be used for trailriding & freeriding. Mostly tho, it'll be a trailbike. Anyhow, I weigh about 250 and am somewhat smooth, what I want is a fork that I can change travel/axle-to-crown height, is relatively light (tho I'd trade light weight for strength & durability), that will be low maintenance, and, is available!

The only Manitou I've ever owned was pos from back in the day (like '97) and it sucked. I've read reviews and such and believe their products have improved. Anyone think that the '05 Firefly + will be suitable for me? I can change out the ti springs for some fat kid springs, with the SPV I'm not too worried about bottoming out issues...I just want some thoughts on the unit. Furthermore, it's about $250 less than the fox, tho, the fox will undoubtedly look hella cooler what with its 36mm stanctions and all.

Anywaysssssss, thanks in advance for your opinions.
    "...his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

mtbr member
    I am about 221 with gear on and I had a 05 6" Firefly on my Bullit. It has the heaviest titanium spring in it. Very nice fork and very light but I wanted a DC for racing so I got a shiver.

It is for sale. Let me know if you are interested I will send you pics. I am in the US - BTW but will ship anywhere.

Clever Slogan
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Axis
    I am about 221 with gear on and I had a 05 6" Firefly on my Bullit. It has the heaviest titanium spring in it. Very nice fork and very light but I wanted a DC for racing so I got a shiver.

It is for sale. Let me know if you are interested I will send you pics. I am in the US - BTW but will ship anywhere.
    yeah, email me some pics...
    [email protected]
    "...his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

surf-ride-repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnyhippy
    Currently, I have a Fox 36 on order, backorder rather and I'm told it could be spring before it arrives. I need a new fork, now. I'm the most impatient bastard there is when it comes to getting new stuff. It's gonna go on my hardtail which, depending on wheels, will be used for trailriding & freeriding. Mostly tho, it'll be a trailbike. Anyhow, I weigh about 250 and am somewhat smooth, what I want is a fork that I can change travel/axle-to-crown height, is relatively light (tho I'd trade light weight for strength & durability), that will be low maintenance, and, is available!

The only Manitou I've ever owned was pos from back in the day (like '97) and it sucked. I've read reviews and such and believe their products have improved. Anyone think that the '05 Firefly + will be suitable for me? I can change out the ti springs for some fat kid springs, with the SPV I'm not too worried about bottoming out issues...I just want some thoughts on the unit. Furthermore, it's about $250 less than the fox, tho, the fox will undoubtedly look hella cooler what with its 36mm stanctions and all.

Anywaysssssss, thanks in advance for your opinions.
    Thought you had a 66 RC? That sounds perfect for ya if you don't have one...

is the travel adjustment what you want?

Xtremely Moderate
    Good things come to those who wait.

Wait for the fox.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

Former Noob Herder
    yeah, when exactly do you expect to ride? if waiting doesnt cost you ride time, then why not wait?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Clever Slogan
    Jun 2004

I do have a 66rc...

Quote Originally Posted by pdirt
    Thought you had a 66 RC? That sounds perfect for ya if you don't have one...

is the travel adjustment what you want?

...On my Scream, it's tight. This is for my hardtail, replacing my z150 that's on the chopping block, $350 shipped for an '03, new seals, new oil!

Glad to Be Alive
    Big Boys need Shivers or Monsters.....that is all
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    Big Boys need Shivers or Monsters.....that is all
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

surf-ride-repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnyhippy
    ...On my Scream, it's tight. This is for my hardtail, replacing my z150 that's on the chopping block, $350 shipped for an '03, new seals, new oil!

Ahhh, I see...

I think I'm getting a 66 RC 150 mm for my Chap, but I LOVE my 03 Super T, I'm torn...

quality 'problem' to have though

Looking for the 66 to be a little lighter, tighter(turn radius wise), and more versatile than the Super, but that dog gone super is the best 'feeling' and stiffest fork I have ever rode... I reallly love it and feel almost stupid even thinking of taking it off there.

How ya likin' the 66 on the Scream? You have a 170mm on there? Is it pretty steep? I like the idea of having the air assist preload and the hscv carts in 35 mm stanchions, and being able to run a 2.7 Maxxis with no worries...

Hope to see ya up at Falls City soon...

Damn Hollis won't shut up about the friggin' road gap, it's my new nemesis and I haven't even seen the sob yet!
    I'll prolly wuss on it the first trip, but I think I got grannies top to bottom my next run, no worries...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thought you sold those....12/11/04

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by Axis

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SinglePivot

-Sp
    That guy backed out on me. Found out when I got back in town and my wife never recieved the funds. Still got them if you are interested.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SinglePivot

-Sp
    Oh and I am supposed to be back in San Jose 01/26/05 timeframe.

Clever Slogan
    Jun 2004

the previous fork

Quote Originally Posted by pdirt
    Ahhh, I see...

I think I'm getting a 66 RC 150 mm for my Chap, but I LOVE my 03 Super T, I'm torn...

quality 'problem' to have though

Looking for the 66 to be a little lighter, tighter(turn radius wise), and more versatile than the Super, but that dog gone super is the best 'feeling' and stiffest fork I have ever rode... I reallly love it and feel almost stupid even thinking of taking it off there.

How ya likin' the 66 on the Scream? You have a 170mm on there? Is it pretty steep? I like the idea of having the air assist preload and the hscv carts in 35 mm stanchions, and being able to run a 2.7 Maxxis with no worries...

Hope to see ya up at Falls City soon...

Damn Hollis won't shut up about the friggin' road gap, it's my new nemesis and I haven't even seen the sob yet!
    I'll prolly wuss on it the first trip, but I think I got grannies top to bottom my next run, no worries...

was an '03 jr. t with hscv guts/air preload/heavy springs. It was a miraculous fork. I never thought I could improve on it for what it was. Then the 66rc proved me wrong. the fork is so dialed I don't even have the vocabulary to express my satisfaction with it. Tho, I've had it only a month or so, we'll see in a few seasons how she's holding up. With an uncut steerer tube it weighed 7.25 lbs. on the nose. air capacity is supposedly 50psi per leg, I run about 8-9 and it's perfect for my fat ass. No other mods were necessary, dial in comp/rebound/preload and yer off, no hassles.

I got the 170mm version, it slacked out my headtube a bit, but now the Scream is perfect. It handles a he!! of a lot better on skinnes, jumps, drops, you name it. My bike just works better now. the 150mm version should be just as fun for the chap, in fact I know it is...just do it! do it.

The road gap is f.ing sick, I rode it like 200x last week, my first ever jump on the road gap was a few weeks ago when KOIN 6 news came out and did a story on us, I was a little nervous but the jump is so easy I stomped it first try. you'll love it. all you have to do is hold on and it will send ya the whole way and then some!

don't forget about the BFA fundraiser on 2/2/05, Santiam got all kinds of raffle prizes from bike companies like frames, forks, brakes, wheels, cranks, really dialed schitt. I gotta say, Race Face, TruVativ, Kona, and tons more are REALLY stepping up and supporting us, it's sweet.

Clever Slogan
    Jun 2004

well, I don't technically have to wait to ride....

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    yeah, when exactly do you expect to ride? if waiting doesnt cost you ride time, then why not wait?
    since I still have my z150 on there. but I don't like the z150. and this is for my bike for riding with my girlfriend, my trail bike, we ride quite a bit and I couldn't handle humping my huge Banshee on 20+ milers.

Since you posted on this, my LBS is hooking me up with new, '05 Firefly+ for pennies on account of my trail advocacy work. I was thinking about a used one, then went back to waiting for the fox, then my LBS called me with the hook up information and I was in. Who said only skilled riders get stuff cheap?

I went this route on account of it's coil preload vs. air, SPV vs. TALAS, $1k vs. a schitt-load less, and it's available.