05 Faith 3, or 06 Devinci Wilson?- Mtbr.com
    Ohhh *****
    Jun 2009

05 Faith 3, or 06 Devinci Wilson?

I'm a 6'2" 250 lb(ish) just getting into downhill, and don't want to drop a ton of $ into a bike that wont be a daily, probably will get shuttled 2 times a week and lift serviced 1 time a week.

2006 wilson white,double track wheels,dhx 3 ,888 with stiff springs,directmount stem,brand new chromage 30inch bars,hussefelt cranks,chain giude,and bottom bracket,sram x-5 shifters and derailer,code 7 brakes withe gooridge braied lines

Or
    05 Giant Faith 3 frame
    FSA PIG DH pro headset
    e.thirteen SRS chain guide
    04 Marzocchi 888r/t
    Hayes Mag brakes (8 inch rotors)
    07 Fox DHX 5.0
    Fizik Freek seat
    Alexsupre BH rims
    Truvativ Hussefelt stem
    Easton Bars
    Axiom Double RoadGap pedals
    Nokian Gazza jr. tires

the gap between the two is $550

clyde in training
    Wilson

mtbr member
    Whatever the setup is buy the faith, flip the links and build up a very nice bike.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

slow reeezay
    Faith! I have a Faith 1 - sick bike
    LIVE TO RIDE, RIDE TO LIVE

2011 On-One 456 Ti

2010 Trek Session 88 custom build

Ohhh *****
    Jun 2009
    When people say flip the links do you just take the black suspension lever off and flip it upside down, or turn it around?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caustic
    When people say flip the links do you just take the black suspension lever off and flip it upside down, or turn it around?
    It's the 2 separate parallel links that actuate the shock. The mounting holes for the shock are slightly off center and towards the front of the link. You swap the links and this moves the mounting hole towards the rear of the bike.

Ohhh *****
    Jun 2009
    Cool, thanks for the Tidbit

Ohhh *****
    Jun 2009
    Think I'm going with the Wilson, it's closer and I can see it before I buy rather then have it shipped to me and find something wrong after the fact with the Faith.

Go back to school
    I think you will be happy with the Faith, I love mine. I just got done putting an HSCV cartridge in my Super-T's : )
    Die to ride, ride to die

Ohhh *****
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikesair
    I think you will be happy with the Faith, I love mine. I just got done putting an HSCV cartridge in my Super-T's : )

Getting the wilson, the faiths too far away to check it out

Ohhh *****
    Jun 2009
    Well I spun in a totally different direction and bought a Giant Glory DH

Pics in a few days when I get my cam back

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Sorry for the necropost, but I am curious about the Faith as a full-on DH bike. Sure, Amiel Cavalier used one on on his Junior World Championship win, but is it a great bike for DH?

I seem to see more Faiths with single crowns than dual crowns, and they say its a friggin tank.

Any feedback?
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

slow reeezay
    Faith is great for DH especially with the links flipped.

I spent a week on mine in the French Alps and it out-performed many more modern bikes...........

I run dual crowns and haven't tried to make it light but it comes in at a reasonable 42lbs

hope that helps

2011 On-One 456 Ti

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    what do people do when they "flip" the linkage of the Faith?
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

slow reeezay
    if you read above someone has explained it, the shock mounting plates can be flipped as they have an offset hole for the shock mount.

by flipping them you make the BB lower and bike slacker making it more stable at speed.

i love the faith before flipping the links, but with them flipped the bike has awesome handling! plows through everything you throw at it!

2011 On-One 456 Ti

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    How much does the HA and the BB height change when the links are flipped?

slow reeezay
    not sure of the exact amount i'll try and measure up tonight (i can only do it roughly..................) do a search on here for faith pics/photo's thread its the ost posted on faith thread and someone may have said the numbers on there.

all i know is its not a dramatic amount but really makes a difference cornering and flat out

2011 On-One 456 Ti

Stray Bullet
    Wilson

Living the High Life
    I rode a Faith for 1.5 years racing DH. With the link flipped the Faith head angle drops around 1 degree is my guess, never measured it. I only rode my with the links flipped, sat on one with the links in the standard position and was surprised I could tell the difference just riding around the parking lot.

The Faith handles rocks decent and pedals good. But it does not corner that great. The whole bike sits higher, the center of gravity is higher as well as the handle bars. I didn't like the way the Maestro suspension jumped, I have a friend who is still on a Faith and he agreed, it jumps weird. I never got comfortable with it, he does fine with it.

I'd say the Faith is a good FR/DH bike. This year I'm on a Commencal Supreme DH and it is a full on DH race bike, confidence inspiring on corners and jumping.

Considering I sold mine with some 2009 parts (including a brand new 888) I swapped off my Commencal for $1,550 you really can't beat the price they're going for. The frame isn't actually that heavy, my large weighed 11.4 lbs with a DHX 4.0. My large Commencal weighs 11.9 with a DHX 5.0.

For the price they're great bikes. I ran into the guy who bought mine at a race in Crested Butte. He loves the bike, nice feeling knowing the guy I sold it to is stoked.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Hey Ithnu, did you once stuff a Kowa fork in your Faith?

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidebomber
    Hey Ithnu, did you once stuff a Kowa fork in your Faith?
    Yeah, I raced it with the Kowa. I bought a Fox 40 so I put the 888 that came with the Commy on the Faith and the Kowa went over to my wife's Astrix Huckster. The Boxxer that was on the Huckster was sold, fork musical chairs
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

slow reeezay
    the faith looks sick in black, may consider it for my new look faith, was gonna go raw ally with white links but it looks pimp in black with the white 888's!

2011 On-One 456 Ti

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    Yeah, I raced it with the Kowa. I bought a Fox 40 so I put the 888 that came with the Commy on the Faith and the Kowa went over to my wife's Astrix Huckster. The Boxxer that was on the Huckster was sold, fork musical chairs
    How was the Faith with the Kowa? Kowas are quite easy to find here in the Philippines (we have a couple of dealers) and I sure am liking what I hear from them. How was yours?

Living the High Life
    How was the Faith with the Kowa? Kowas are quite easy to find here in the Philippines (we have a couple of dealers) and I sure am liking what I hear from them. How was yours?
    Good points
    1) fairly stiff - not as much as a Fox 40, but a vast improvement from a 2009-older Boxxer
    2) bushings and seals are phenomenal (you can ignore all maintenance it seems like)
    3) suuuuper smooth, even with no maintenance mentioned above. Some forks go to crap if you don't change the oil, mine is 2 years old (this year it isn't getting much use on my wife's bike) and is still super smooth. My guess is because the seals are so nice nothing gets in there.

Bad points
    4) FPC unit blows out - only an issue if you have this model. If the fork bottoms out hard the air pistons equalize and you lose a lot of preload.
    5) No damping, with the FPC having problems there is no damping. So it was a balance between having a progressive air spring (similar to low speed damping in that it prevents brake dive) and running it on the spring only. More consistent with the spring, but no damping.

There are other models out there with damping available. The cool thing about Kowa is that its all modular, I can buy a damping cartridge and replace the FPC if I want to. But right now my wife is riding it and she's not near the level where she'll notice damping.

One thing to note, stay away from the 200mm version. All they did was increase the travel, everything else is the same. Apparently this causes the bushing to wear out very fast and you'll get slop. The 180mm sits at the same height as most 200mm forks anyway when you're on it. It has 20mm of negative travel, so you're getting some sag to start with. It effectively rides like a 200mm fork anyway.

I have their 160mm air sprung travel adjust fork as well. Again, no damping but both forks have rebound adjust. But I run it at 100-120mm on my 4X bike. I run the pressure high so I don't care about the lack of damping. The 160 air uses the same lowers as the DH fork, but its not too heavy for a 20mm axle fork (5.2 pounds if I remember). That fork can actually be run at 170mm, so it would make a great FR fork too. This one has been flawless for almost 2 years. I'd recommend it as their best fork, versatile, durable and smooth.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Good points
    1) fairly stiff - not as much as a Fox 40, but a vast improvement from a 2009-older Boxxer
    2) bushings and seals are phenomenal (you can ignore all maintenance it seems like)
    3) suuuuper smooth, even with no maintenance mentioned above. Some forks go to crap if you don't change the oil, mine is 2 years old (this year it isn't getting much use on my wife's bike) and is still super smooth. My guess is because the seals are so nice nothing gets in there.

Bad points
    4) FPC unit blows out - only an issue if you have this model. If the fork bottoms out hard the air pistons equalize and you lose a lot of preload.
    5) No damping, with the FPC having problems there is no damping. So it was a balance between having a progressive air spring (similar to low speed damping in that it prevents brake dive) and running it on the spring only. More consistent with the spring, but no damping.

There are other models out there with damping available. The cool thing about Kowa is that its all modular, I can buy a damping cartridge and replace the FPC if I want to. But right now my wife is riding it and she's not near the level where she'll notice damping.

One thing to note, stay away from the 200mm version. All they did was increase the travel, everything else is the same. Apparently this causes the bushing to wear out very fast and you'll get slop. The 180mm sits at the same height as most 200mm forks anyway when you're on it. It has 20mm of negative travel, so you're getting some sag to start with. It effectively rides like a 200mm fork anyway.

I have their 160mm air sprung travel adjust fork as well. Again, no damping but both forks have rebound adjust. But I run it at 100-120mm on my 4X bike. I run the pressure high so I don't care about the lack of damping. The 160 air uses the same lowers as the DH fork, but its not too heavy for a 20mm axle fork (5.2 pounds if I remember). That fork can actually be run at 170mm, so it would make a great FR fork too. This one has been flawless for almost 2 years. I'd recommend it as their best fork, versatile, durable and smooth.
    I did you get the coil or the air fork?I think there's no Direct Mount stem for it...
    Anyway, thanks for the input!
    Last edited by suicidebomber; 08-25-2009 at 07:22 AM.

Living the High Life
    I did you get the coil or the air fork?I think there's no Direct Mount stem for it...
    Anyway, thanks for the input!
    I got the coil sprung fork with the floating piston chamber (FPC) option. I'd say go with the 180 coil with damping and you'll be happy with it.

There was a direct mount in development (a friend of mine is the US distributor) that I have seen but i don't know if its in production yet.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    I got the coil sprung fork with the floating piston chamber (FPC) option. I'd say go with the 180 coil with damping and you'll be happy with it.

There was a direct mount in development (a friend of mine is the US distributor) that I have seen but i don't know if its in production yet.
    You must be talking about this: But I think those are Boxxer-type mounts.

Members who have read this thread: 0