05' 888 compression sleeve upgrade ?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 33 of 33
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,797

    05' 888 compression sleeve upgrade ?

    I have a new / never installed 05' 888RC I am going to use this season. I have read the 05' 888's are a tad soft on the beginning stoke, dive n' such. Anyone have any experience with the Marzocchi compression sleeve ? Want to decide if it's worth using before the fork goes on. Thanx

  2. #2
    Specialized Rida
    Reputation: skate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    815
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    I have a new / never installed 05' 888RC I am going to use this season. I have read the 05' 888's are a tad soft on the beginning stoke, dive n' such. Anyone have any experience with the Marzocchi compression sleeve ? Want to decide if it's worth using before the fork goes on. Thanx
    I think that would all depend on how much you weigh. I believe that the stock springs are intended more for someone less than 200 pounds. we should begin there before you decided to add a part that you might not really need.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wyrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,423
    Yesterday I went to buy the compression sleeve. I got it redrilled for a different setting that is not offered any more and is supposedly the best setting. I went for a ride a couple of hours later after installation. It was a totally different ride. Sag was the same since it only slowed down the compression not sag. But it was a very different ride over all. It did sit higher in the travel and I did lose control because of it. I went down hard because of it. Over all I think that there will be a learning curve for it. Parking lot testing it will not give you everything you need to know about it.

    Essentially what it does is kick in the compression dampening eariler in the stroke. Before the top 1.5-2" of compression was pretty much dead. Now the top has more compression dampening.... which translates into more compression dampening all the way thru.

    My suggestion is to use the two hole setting at first.
    Bikeless Rider

  4. #4
    Just another FOC'er
    Reputation: .Danno.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,222
    I helped install one of those on a friends fork. It made a huge difference in eliminating fork dive when dropping the really steep stuff.

    Go Ride's got a good article about installing/using the sleeve http://www.go-ride.com/article_888_tuning.html.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,797
    In weigh 200lbs. I usually run one stock and one x firm spring. I read the Go-ride article but felt it was little biased toward an all out racer / tuners point of view. Looking for some basic rider before and after reviews. Thanx

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DHFreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    189
    I have read some promising things in regards to 'zocchis new rc2 and X cartridge. I know you can install these on '05 888s.

  7. #7
    Specialized Rida
    Reputation: skate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    815
    I have the 888 RC and have noticed the dive when I was running stock springs. I usually endoed a lot and finally realized that my fork was to soft for my wieght which is 210. So I eventually changed out my springs to firm springs in both legs and purhcased the compression sleeve from marzocchi. After changing both of those things out, the ride performance improved a lot. I was able to ride without the fear of fork dive, especially if you know you can handle certain obsticles, but don't do them because of frear of your fork.

    I guess you can try the spring setup you have now, but definetly get the compression sleeve. This will help out with the fork dive. If you end up getting the sleeve and think it can still be better, then I would suggest running both firm springs. For me this is the best combination for someone over 200 pounds. With this setup you will still get the smooth feel of an 8 inch travel fork and you don't have to worry or even think about whether or not your fork is going to dive and cuase a crazy endoe.

  8. #8
    kona-tize me captain
    Reputation: austinb89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,117
    can you have marzocchi do this sort of thing for you? like drilling those two special holes?(dirty sounding yes i know) or having them install the new sleeve. i dotn know if im up to takign my 888 apart that much
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

  9. #9
    Specialized Rida
    Reputation: skate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    815
    Quote Originally Posted by austinb89
    can you have marzocchi do this sort of thing for you? like drilling those two special holes?(dirty sounding yes i know) or having them install the new sleeve. i dotn know if im up to takign my 888 apart that much
    Those holes should already be there. I am not sure why it would need to be drilled out. Actually there are holes all the way around the sleeve. on one side there should be no holes, turn it a bit and there is one hole, turn it a bit more and there are two holes, turn it one last time and there are three holes. It's pretty simple actually.

    The setup I used was the one on the go-ride website, which was two holes exposed.
    I believe that if you send it to Marzocchi they should be able to work on your fork for you just give them a call or you can buy the parts and just tell the LBS what you want and they should be able to do it also.

  10. #10
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by .Danno.
    I It made a huge difference in eliminating fork dive when
    Go Ride's got a good article about installing/using the sleeve http://www.go-ride.com/article_888_tuning.html.
    correcty me if I am wrong......don't you want your fork to dive when going into a turn???
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,797
    Quote Originally Posted by skate
    I have the 888 RC and have noticed the dive when I was running stock springs. I usually endoed a lot and finally realized that my fork was to soft for my wieght which is 210. So I eventually changed out my springs to firm springs in both legs and purhcased the compression sleeve from marzocchi. After changing both of those things out, the ride performance improved a lot. I was able to ride without the fear of fork dive, especially if you know you can handle certain obsticles, but don't do them because of frear of your fork.

    I guess you can try the spring setup you have now, but definetly get the compression sleeve. This will help out with the fork dive. If you end up getting the sleeve and think it can still be better, then I would suggest running both firm springs. For me this is the best combination for someone over 200 pounds. With this setup you will still get the smooth feel of an 8 inch travel fork and you don't have to worry or even think about whether or not your fork is going to dive and cuase a crazy endoe.

    Did you change the springs & sleeve @ the same time ? If all at the same time then it may be hard to judge how much benefit was from the sleeve vs. the springs. Also does the compression adjustment range increase ? Go-ride said the stock compression adjuster doesn't seem to do much - maybe this is the reason Marzocchi made the sleeve ? Thanx

  12. #12
    Specialized Rida
    Reputation: skate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    815
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    Did you change the springs & sleeve @ the same time ? If all at the same time then it may be hard to judge how much benefit was from the sleeve vs. the springs. Also does the compression adjustment range increase ? Go-ride said the stock compression adjuster doesn't seem to do much - maybe this is the reason Marzocchi made the sleeve ? Thanx
    Yeah I changed both at the same time and the reason is because of two things. one I did not want to change on part fill with oil and later pull it apart to add the other part in case that did not work. The other reason was because when I called marzocchi the person that I talked to had the same experiance as I had which was over 200 pounds and the fork was to soft. So the recommendation that he gave me was the same setup that he used which was the compersion sleeve and the firm springs. So my decision was not only based on his recommendations as a marzocchi worker, but also on his personal experiance that he had.

    Just like Go-ride mentioned I noticed the same thing on the compression adjuster that it did not do much no matter which direction i turned it, but after I put the compression sleeve on it actually seemed to able a bit more adjustable depending on which direction it was turned. In other words it actually started working the way it should work.

  13. #13
    Just another FOC'er
    Reputation: .Danno.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,222
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    correcty me if I am wrong......don't you want your fork to dive when going into a turn???
    Yeah, but sometimes there's just too much of a good thing

  14. #14
    SMT Supporter
    Reputation: Mongiafer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by austinb89
    can you have marzocchi do this sort of thing for you? like drilling those two special holes?(dirty sounding yes i know) or having them install the new sleeve. i dotn know if im up to takign my 888 apart that much
    Before that upgrade to your 888, just think of gettin a rocco for the stinky, i think it will be a best investment.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    605
    i ran a 888 with and without the sleeve, the sleeve helped out huge, was able to run the forks mega plush for the first 4-5 inches and the sleeve allowed the fork to engage the compression sooner so it wouldn't bottom out allowing me to have a super plush fork, and throw it off everything without it making the worst bashing sound ever

  16. #16
    Disco-Superfly
    Reputation: Jake_HT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    4,850
    not really related to this, but at the LBS I visited today, 05 888vf's were $500 cdn, I couldnt believe it.
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

  17. #17
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by .Danno.
    Yeah, but sometimes there's just too much of a good thing

    I was at marz talking about this and they were laughing about people complaining about this.......but anyway good for anybody wanting this.....Alloy has one on his bike and loves it......so each to their own
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  18. #18
    Former MTBR Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    556
    I have the compression sleeve upgrade on my 888 and it does what it's supposed to. Installation is easy and for the money it's a good upgrade. Gives the shock a much "better" feel in the first 2" of travel. Also running one heavy and one medium spring.

  19. #19
    Just another FOC'er
    Reputation: .Danno.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,222
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    I was at marz talking about this and they were laughing about people complaining about this.......but anyway good for anybody wanting this.....Alloy has one on his bike and loves it......so each to their own
    It wasn't my fork so I can't give you all the details, but the friend who owns it constantly complained about it bottoming too quickly on big, kinky roller drops. He finally cranked out his shoulder on one of the drops from what he said was a crash caused by a lot of dive. I can tell you that it did feel a lot different than the Shiver in this respect. Adding the compression sleeve made it way more progressive, and after installing it the compression adjustment actually does something

    I could be wrong about this, but I'm guessing you can't adjust progressivity of the 888s by oil height since the level is spec'd to be so low (weight saving). This always worked nicely on the Shivers, Super-T's, etc. Maybe the 2X cart in this year's helps this issue? I'd like to pick up a RC2X and try it out on my DH bike!

  20. #20
    Specialized Rida
    Reputation: skate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    815
    I think that is the difference between the 05 and the 06 888's. I honestly don't think something like this should come as a shocker to marzocchi since they did invent the device for a reason.
    Either way I seperated my shoulder becuase of the dive problem and while I was unable to ride I was thinking back to all my endoe's I have had with the fork and it finally struck me that it was way to soft and that all the endoe's I had was becuase of that problem.

    Well problem is solved and now I ride with the lack of fear of going over the bars again. Well at least for that reason.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,797
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBKauai
    I have the compression sleeve upgrade on my 888 and it does what it's supposed to. Installation is easy and for the money it's a good upgrade. Gives the shock a much "better" feel in the first 2" of travel. Also running one heavy and one medium spring.
    What hole configuration are you running the sleeve ? Thanx

  22. #22
    Former MTBR Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    556

    Maximum

    I use the "max" setting (where most of the holes are blocked). The sleeve ONLY effects LOW-SPEED compression of the fork... like gradual g-outs or berms... big, fast hits are not affected.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,797
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBKauai
    I use the "max" setting (where most of the holes are blocked). The sleeve ONLY effects LOW-SPEED compression of the fork... like gradual g-outs or berms... big, fast hits are not affected.
    Where is the compression knob set (clicks) ? Thanx

  24. #24
    evs
    evs is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: evs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    240
    Oil volume is underestimated IMO. I added a few mls than the highest recommendation and it really transformed the feel.Start there.Even try chaning to a heavier wt. oil. I still get fulll compression and this fork saved my butt a few times when my I was thrown forwad landing a little heavy on the front end.definatley get at least one xtra heavy spring for your weight.I haven't tried the sleeve or used 2 xtra heavy springs. I try to follow the nosedive with my body to try and flow with it.This affect is actually good in my view.It did take awhile to get used to but it is so plush and bottomless now..I really love this fork. But for my wt. I did need to modify it.I haven't tried it with the sleave but would like to.This seems to be so fine tunable,with alot of options.I might need to try the sleave on my next oil change.Good luck and that sucks hearing about injuries

    evs
    Last edited by evs; 05-20-2006 at 10:13 PM.
    'Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, Boldly Ride,' The Shade replied, - 'If you Seek for El Dorado!'

  25. #25
    Former MTBR Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    556

    Settings...

    The '05 888 has 30 "clicks" but only actually has 15 levels of adjustment, so two clicks equal one adjustment. True on both sides of the fork FYI. There are internal pre-load settings to adjust the sag (3 positions, in case you haven't looked inside the fork yet).

    I run mine somewhere around 12-14 clicks (I'm over due for an oil change so that's likely a bit more than "normal").

    You might already know this tip, but, when I first install a fork I use a very loose zip tie around one stanchion to see how much travel I'm using. I like to get about 90% of the 200mm travel on the biggest "day-to-day" drop I'll hitómight be superstitionóbut I like to know there's a "little bit more" available if I go nose-first or slam a big rut.

    It's impossible to feel the effect of the external compression adjustment by bobbing up and down in the parking lot. You have to hit something big, or fast, otherwise the high-speed compression doesn't do squat.

    Enjoy this photo of my 888 (when it was shiny and new)...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  26. #26
    SMT Supporter
    Reputation: Mongiafer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    465
    Best 888 thread so far.....
    Don't you lost sensitivity on your forks with the upgrade? I think maybe that first 4 very soft inches have someting to do with motocross style. If you have ever sat on a mx bike u will feel the first part of the travel very undampened... And the nose dive you talk, i think is a good thing beacuse when u approach to a bermed corner lets say...u throw you weight foward and fork dive reduces the axle to crown so u get a better cornering position.
    For dh racing i think that the stock setup will be better.
    For freeridng u get more plushess and progession and must be better the upgaded fork...

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Red Bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,902
    keen are you selling the boxxer then? if its cheap enough i might try and sell my 40 for it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

  28. #28
    Specialized Rida
    Reputation: skate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    815
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongiafer
    Best 888 thread so far.....
    Don't you lost sensitivity on your forks with the upgrade? I think maybe that first 4 very soft inches have someting to do with motocross style. If you have ever sat on a mx bike u will feel the first part of the travel very undampened... And the nose dive you talk, i think is a good thing beacuse when u approach to a bermed corner lets say...u throw you weight foward and fork dive reduces the axle to crown so u get a better cornering position.
    For dh racing i think that the stock setup will be better.
    For freeridng u get more plushess and progession and must be better the upgaded fork...
    That type of nose dive is different then what everyone here is talking about. With all the upgrades whether is springs and/or compression sleeve you still get a dive but it's more controlled in a sense, and your actually not taking the plushness away.

    Basically what is happening is that the fork is to soft and when you go down let's say a foot high curb what happens is that not only are you going through the initiall part of the travel, but eventually start going down the second half of the travel. Pretty much to the point of bottoming out or actually bottoming out. With the upgrades you will go through the first part of the travel, which is how it should be
    in these types of situation it tends to get very scary on rockgardens and things where you have to roll down, because almost most of the time the fork dives to much to where you start endoeing.

    So like I mentioned its not like your getting rid of the dive it's more like you adjusting it for riders who wiegh more than 200 pounds.

  29. #29
    SMT Supporter
    Reputation: Mongiafer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by skate
    That type of nose dive is different then what everyone here is talking about. With all the upgrades whether is springs and/or compression sleeve you still get a dive but it's more controlled in a sense, and your actually not taking the plushness away.

    Basically what is happening is that the fork is to soft and when you go down let's say a foot high curb what happens is that not only are you going through the initiall part of the travel, but eventually start going down the second half of the travel. Pretty much to the point of bottoming out or actually bottoming out. With the upgrades you will go through the first part of the travel, which is how it should be
    in these types of situation it tends to get very scary on rockgardens and things where you have to roll down, because almost most of the time the fork dives to much to where you start endoeing.

    So like I mentioned its not like your getting rid of the dive it's more like you adjusting it for riders who wiegh more than 200 pounds.
    Roger that...

  30. #30
    SMT Supporter
    Reputation: Mongiafer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    keen are you selling the boxxer then? if its cheap enough i might try and sell my 40 for it...
    I'm interested on your 40. send me a PM with model, year, condition and price.
    I'll be in US in about 2 weeks.
    cheers


  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    keen are you selling the boxxer then? if its cheap enough i might try and sell my 40 for it...
    I was interested in a 40 trade for the Boxxer, as I could drop the travel on the 40. Not sure on the pricing as they are costly @ the moment. Having a trade seemed the easiest. I purchased the 888 before last season when they were $1000 forks so re-sale in it would be @ a big loss.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Red Bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongiafer
    I'm interested on your 40. send me a PM with model, year, condition and price.
    I'll be in US in about 2 weeks.
    cheers

    sorry bro, but the fork is gunna be gone by this weekend i think

    If not ill get back to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wyrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,423
    There should be three adjustments. The older models have 0-1-2 hole configurations. The newer models have 0-2-3 holes adjustments. The newer models are kinda pointless cause the 3 holes is the same as not even having the sleeve on.

    Fourtunately Go-ride drilled out mine to get a one hole config.... so I have a 1-2-3 hole config. With all holes covered it is great for big massive hits since the compression kicks in eariler.... that is why I drilled it out since I never get that much abuse out of my fork.

    Installation is very easy. All you need to do is take off the lowers. The tricks:

    1. Flip the bike over so the bike is up-side down. Cycle the fork a few times and allow some time for the oil to drain into the uppers
    2. Remove the wheel.... it is much easier to handle while off.
    3. Disconnect all parts that will prevent the lowers from coming off... all cables, brakes, odometers....
    4. Using a 15mm wrench loosen and remove the gold foot nuts.
    5. Remove lowers and you will see the cartirdge... you may loose a few drops of oil. Do not compress the cartridge into the uppers... it will spray oil out of the holes you intend to cover.
    6. Install sleeve on to the compression side damper to what ever setting you want. When installing be sure to gently press fit the notched top into the grooved damper slots. It should be flush.
    7. Reinstall the lowers gently so that you don't compress the fork. Put on gold foot nuts and torque to spec. Do not over tighten. Re do up all the cables and ride.
    Bikeless Rider

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.