04 Super T or used shiver DC?- Mtbr.com
    V10 Freerider

04 Super T or used shiver DC?

04 Super T or used shiver DC for an 04 V10? Primarily a race bike but I will do some freeriding (gasp) on it too.

I can get a brand new 04 Super T for about the same price as a used Shiver DC.

I am replacing a 01 Super T that I really like but I need a little more travel for the V10.

Talk amongst yourselves....

Thanks
    The Super T you have is really a very good fork. I'd take that fork over a Fox 40 or a Boxer unless i was entering a fashon contest instead of a race

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Shiver all the way. While the 04 Super T is nice, and in your case new, it lacks the superior damping qualities of the Shiver since the 04 Super only had HSCV in one leg and SSV(same damper as the crap@ss Jr.T) and the Shiver has HSCV in both legs. Plus the Shiver doesn't limit your tire width.

V10 Freerider

Does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by red5
    Shiver all the way. While the 04 Super T is nice, and in your case new, it lacks the superior damping qualities of the Shiver since the 04 Super only had HSCV in one leg and SSV(same damper as the crap@ss Jr.T) and the Shiver has HSCV in both legs. Plus the Shiver doesn't limit your tire width.

Does anyone know the weight on a shiver?

Didn't you just sell one on ridemonkey Red5?
    The Super T you have is really a very good fork. I'd take that fork over a Fox 40 or a Boxer unless i was entering a fashon contest instead of a race

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenschwinn
    Does anyone know the weight on a shiver?

Didn't you just sell one on ridemonkey Red5?
    Weight is about 9-9.5 lbs.

Yes I did. But don't let that deter you, it's a great fork. I just prefer the Monster T.

V10 Freerider
    Weight is about 9-9.5 lbs.

Yes I did. But don't let that deter you, it's a great fork. I just prefer the Monster T.
    No, it was not a deterent. I just wish you still had it... I figured since you had one at one point you would know what the weight was.

Team Sanchez
    Hey Frank, I've got an 02 Shiv that I'm looking to unload. I absolutely love the Shiver, but the AC length is not optimal for the VP FRee. I need a 888 for my VP Free, as I really want to rake that sucker out. PM me if you are interested.

V10 Freerider
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Hey Frank, I've got an 02 Shiv that I'm looking to unload. I absolutely love the Shiver, but the AC length is not optimal for the VP FRee. I need a 888 for my VP Free, as I really want to rake that sucker out. PM me if you are interested.
    I PM'd you. Forgot to ask how long the steer tube is though?

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    I need a 888 for my VP Free, as I really want to rake that sucker out
    See should've bought a real DH bike, you wouldn't be having these problems.

Edit: You could always put a 24" rear wheel on there.
    Last edited by RED5; 12-09-2004 at 01:21 PM.

Buckle Up
    Although I don't have any personal experience with the 04 SuperT, I have never heard of any problems caused by the SSV/HSCV damping. Also, who needs to run a tire larger than a 2.7? Sure, the Shiver has more mud clearance and space in case of an out of true wheel, but in my opinion the nearly 2 pound lighter weight of the Super will outweigh (haha) those advantages.
    <><

Team Sanchez
    Frank,

The steer tube is 7 inches, with integrated stem. The HT length on a V-10 is up to 5.3 inches for a large. I am running the Shiver on a VP Free with a HT length of 5.4 inches, and it fits fine, so it will work great on your V-10. I pm'ed you. Give me a ring.

Cynical Bystander
    My 04 V-10 with Shiver weighs 46lbs with a hefty build that could lose poundage in other areas. It matches up with the bike quite well IMO and I think you'd enjoy it.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMan
    Although I don't have any personal experience with the 04 SuperT, I have never heard of any problems caused by the SSV/HSCV damping. Also, who needs to run a tire larger than a 2.7? Sure, the Shiver has more mud clearance and space in case of an out of true wheel, but in my opinion the nearly 2 pound lighter weight of the Super will outweigh (haha) those advantages.
    Actually I think you'll find if you do a bit of research that allot of people have issues with the crappy SSV damping, it spikes on fast DH riding unlike the superior HSCV.

Also the Super T 03-04 cannot fit a true 2.7 tire. A Maxxis 2.7 sure, but everyone knows that Maxxis tires run small, which would make their 2.7 about a 2.5 in reality. Heck the 03 cannot even fit a true 2.5, only a 2.3.

So now your 04 Super T not only has a crappy damper, but now you also have to watch out for mud clearence running a 2.5 tire. Personally, I'll take better damping and tire clearance at a 2lb cost, especially on a DH bike.

There's a point when you stop becoming a weight conscious DH rider and start being a weight weenie.
    Last edited by RED5; 12-09-2004 at 05:09 PM.

Cynical Bystander
    Lets see do a little research and you'll find plenty of people have issues with the crappy SSV damping, it spikes on fast DH riding unlike the superior HSCV.

The Super T 03-04 cannot fit a true 2.7 tire. A Maxxis 2.7 sure, but everyone knows that Maxxis tires run small, which would make their 2.7 about a 2.5 in reality.

So now your 04 Super T not only has a crappy damper, but now you also have to watch out for mud clearence running a 2.5 tire. Personally, I'll take better damping and tire clearance at a 2lb cost, especially on a DH bike.

There's a point when you stop becoming a weight conscious DH rider and start being a weight weenie.
    Werd.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Uhhhhh...
    Actually I think you'll find if you do a bit of research that allot of people have issues with the crappy SSV damping, it spikes on fast DH riding unlike the superior HSCV.

Also the Super T 03-04 cannot fit a true 2.7 tire. A Maxxis 2.7 sure, but everyone knows that Maxxis tires run small, which would make their 2.7 about a 2.5 in reality. Heck the 03 cannot even fit a true 2.5, only a 2.3.

Too bad the HSCV damper does all of the damping whilst the SSV only does the rebound on the '04s. Noone can tell the difference.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The '03 super t and the '04 super t's have different brake arch spacing. The '04 fits a bigger tire than the '03.
    I have an '03 super t. I've run IRC kujo 2.65's, KENDA kolossal 2.6's, and Tioga white Tiger 2.5's on it with no problems (not much mud here though). Others I ride with have run Maxxis 2.7's on their '03 super t's.

I lean like a cholo!

True

Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    Too bad the HSCV damper does all of the damping whilst the SSV only does the rebound on the '04s. Noone can tell the difference.

-TS
    True. I've ridden both on fast and bumpy terrain. No performance difference. Have you ridden both RED? If you can feel the difference you must be a hell of a lot more sensative to ride quality than me or anyone I know. There is a difference with the Junior to the Super, but the difference between the 04 and 03 Supers is in theory only, not in real world performance.
    ...and I used my strength to rip my blouse...

I lean like a cholo!

Shiver

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Con-fecal
    True. I've ridden both on fast and bumpy terrain. No performance difference. Have you ridden both RED? If you can feel the difference you must be a hell of a lot more sensative to ride quality than me or anyone I know. There is a difference with the Junior to the Super, but the difference between the 04 and 03 Supers is in theory only, not in real world performance.
    Dispite the fact that I like the Super T, go Shiver for your V-10.
    ...and I used my strength to rip my blouse...

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by donyel
    The '03 super t and the '04 super t's have different brake arch spacing. The '04 fits a bigger tire than the '03.
    I have an '03 super t. I've run IRC kujo 2.65's, KENDA kolossal 2.6's, and Tioga white Tiger 2.5's on it with no problems (not much mud here though). Others I ride with have run Maxxis 2.7's on their '03 super t's.
    Well I had an 03 Junior T and the largest tire I could logically fit without 1)having to keep my wheel laser straight or 2) any rubbing was a 2.3 Kenda or 2.5 Maxxis. But then again I prefer more than 2mm of clearence between my fork arch and tires, so maybe that's the reason.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Con-fecal
    True. I've ridden both on fast and bumpy terrain. No performance difference. Have you ridden both RED?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sherpa
    Too bad the HSCV damper does all of the damping whilst the SSV only does the rebound on the '04s. Noone can tell the difference.-TS
    Why yes I have had the pleasure of riding both the 03 and 04 and there is a difference. However since you both seem to think there isn't let me ask you this... if the rebound is seemingly uneffected on the 04 Super by the crappy damping of the SSV how do you explain the fact that the Jr.T, who's only adjustement is rebound, is so adversely effected?

Still none of this takes away from the fact that the Shiver is a much better performing fork. IMO of course.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    Why yes I have had the pleasure of riding both the 03 and 04 and there is a difference. However since you both seem to think there isn't let me ask you this... if the rebound is seemingly uneffected on the 04 Super by the crappy damping of the SSV how do you explain the fact that the Jr.T, who's only adjustement is rebound, is so adversely effected?

Still none of this takes away from the fact that the Shiver is a much better performing fork. IMO of course.
    no but it does mean that people can now stop using the dual HSVC as to single HSVC and SSV cartridge argument...

and all i know is that...when it was explained to me in detail by the mechanic at the shop im buying my DEMO from...a couple of weeks ago...that when rebuilt and properly adjusted to suit the weight and style of the rider with correct botteming control...correct oil levels and sag...etc you cant actually tell the difference between a dual HSVC fork such as the 888r or rc as opposed to a sinlge HSVC and single SSV cartridge fork such as the 888rt...the only difference is you dont have an adjuster knob...

(the adjuster knob is of course in the case of 888s)

but ill ask next time im there for you id youd like...becuase i think it might be good just for the record to know why the JNR-T peforms so badly...as apposed to the Super-T...

i would choose the Super-T because of the weight factor...as im not huge like most of the rest of you guys...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

mtbr member
    The super will be stiffer and lighter plus its newer i would go for the super.
    www.hope.co.uk

TNC
    noMAD man

On HSCV vs. SSV...

I'm curious about this mix in the '04 Super. I have an '02 Jr.T that now has 2 HSCV carts installed. Can anyone clarify the impact of leaving one SSV damper in one leg? It seems to me that the problems that an unmodified SSV damper causes when there were 2 of them in there would still be there with just one installed. Hydraulic locking should still occur...it would seem to me. Now if you had an SSV damper that was modified to basically just be a "dummy" leg and the other leg had an HSCV cart, that seems like it might work just fine. The problem with SSV is that it hydraulic locks with continuous and multiple hits, and I can't see that changing with one unmodified SSV damper still in the fork. Can anyone verify this?

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    I'm curious about this mix in the '04 Super. I have an '02 Jr.T that now has 2 HSCV carts installed. Can anyone clarify the impact of leaving one SSV damper in one leg? It seems to me that the problems that an unmodified SSV damper causes when there were 2 of them in there would still be there with just one installed. Hydraulic locking should still occur...it would seem to me. Now if you had an SSV damper that was modified to basically just be a "dummy" leg and the other leg had an HSCV cart, that seems like it might work just fine. The problem with SSV is that it hydraulic locks with continuous and multiple hits, and I can't see that changing with one unmodified SSV damper still in the fork. Can anyone verify this?
    I wouldn't go holding my breath, I'm still waiting for clarification as well.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Bounce with dat shiver...

The shiver inspires more confidence in my opinion.
    The Big Bomber
    The Bombsquad Freeride Team