04 Stinky, 04 BigHit? or 04 Atomik?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

04 Stinky, 04 BigHit? or 04 Atomik?

04 Stinky, 04 BigHit or 04 Atomik

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am looking for a good downhill/freeride bike with arround 7 inches of travel. But I also don't want to break the bank, meaning my price limit is arround 2 500$CDN. My 2 main choices were the 04 kona stinky and the 04 norco atomik, but i`ve been hearing alot of good stuff about the 04 specialized bighit but i don`t know which one. But i'm not shure about the stinky's frame and the fork that it comes with and with the atomik i am not shure about the derailleurs and the junior T because i've been hearing lots of bad stuff about the 04 junior T. Anyways I really need an opinion of experience and could you please tell me which bike would be better, why, and adress my concerns about those 2 bikes. If you have another downhill/freeride bike to suggest that would suit my needs and wallet please tell me. Thanks in advance.

-PHIL MOSCO
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

airin' it out in the 951
    Do a search. Bighit vs anything is out there.

Cynical Bystander
    Specialized Bighit Comp. I'm 200lbs and have yet to do anything wrong to my 02. Although some argue about how its horrible that it has the 24" rear wheel. You have to remember that the bike was designed around it so its not like its going to affect the geometry since that's what its based around. Only downside I could see from having a bighit is that its not exactly a race bike....well mine isn't atleast (03 Monster T, biglink, etc...) but you could easily make it a light bike at or a little below 40lbs if you picked light parts.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    ah...well i knda did tell u that the stinkys frame aint sh*t...choose it ignore it or not thats ur decision...but if u can then...get the comp...there is no comparison...i mean at all...the comp beats the hell out of the atomik and stinky...frame is better than both...rear shock better than both...fork is better as well...components are better too...if you can...simply get the comp...3 thumbs up for the comp...2 for the stinky...and well id use my thubs to scrach my ass rather than put one up for the atomik...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thx guys but is the Dj2 on the specialized actually better than the drop off triple thats on the stinky?
    Phil Mosco

airin' it out in the 951
    No.

I have the 04 comp and it really is all that and a bag of chips. The fork is fine but most people swap it out for a triple clamp.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    But you see once i buy my bike i won't have lotz of money kickin' arround so I want to get something without having to swap full of things!!

Phil Mosco

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    thats fine...the fork dont matter so much...its more the frame and the frame on the comp is awesome...the dropp off trippel...is simply a drop off with extended sanctions so there a sh*t fork made into a tripple and a 6inch tripple at that...and the tripple drop off dont do so much and it aint adjustable...unlike the dj2 (at least thats what i thought) ...comp comp comp comp...i dont wanna hear u say anyother word but that...comp (ill settle for big hit) ...

T.Dot Represent
    yo f**k any of u who think atomiks are **** bikes. its an amazing bike... i have an 03. the DJ and JnrT have the exact same dampening u idiots lol

the DJ on my 03 is amaing lol well i like it. either way the atomik or bighit ur gunna get a good bike, i just dont like u people dissing up a decent bike !
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

rider

were talkin bout 04 bikes

Quote Originally Posted by finchy
    yo f**k any of u who think atomiks are **** bikes. its an amazing bike... i have an 03. the DJ and JnrT have the exact same dampening u idiots lol

the DJ on my 03 is amaing lol well i like it. either way the atomik or bighit ur gunna get a good bike, i just dont like u people dissing up a decent bike !
    ATOMIKS SUCK FAT HAIRY ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
    "who vants a mustache ride?"

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride To The Hills
    ATOMIKS SUCK FAT HAIRY ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
    *sigh*...if only L_8_It_Up was still around to help with threads like these....
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    fincy u are a fuc*ing moron...

(atomiks are sh*t...and im sorry u own one...there not amazing...u might think so and im glad u do but if u want amazing ride a 15,000 Foes DHS mono that is an amazing bike)

(things are expensive over here)

and phill get the comp dude

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Mosco
    04 Stinky, 04 BigHit or 04 Atomik

I am looking for a good downhill/freeride bike with arround 7 inches of travel. But I also don't want to break the bank, meaning my price limit is arround 2 500$CDN. My 2 main choices were the 04 kona stinky and the 04 norco atomik, but i`ve been hearing alot of good stuff about the 04 specialized bighit but i don`t know which one. But i'm not shure about the stinky's frame and the fork that it comes with and with the atomik i am not shure about the derailleurs and the junior T because i've been hearing lots of bad stuff about the 04 junior T. Anyways I really need an opinion of experience and could you please tell me which bike would be better, why, and adress my concerns about those 2 bikes. If you have another downhill/freeride bike to suggest that would suit my needs and wallet please tell me. Thanks in advance.

-PHIL MOSCO
    phil forget the atomic. the breakdown between the kona and specialized is:
    1. the kona is $300-350 us cheaper. most dealers will swap out forks and give you credit so for just a little more than the stock big hit you could have a stinky with a real fork.
    2. the comp will out drop the big hit. the stinky is faster over g outs and a better dirt jumper.
    3. the comp has more travel and can be adjusted.
    4. the kona has a 26" rear wheel.

if you are not racing both bikes are fine choices. if you are gonna race both bikes are poor choices. if you are doing a lot of resort shuttling, hucking, djing and trail riding get a stinky with an upgrade to the manitou 04 slider plus spv. that should run about the same price as a stock big hit comp. if your a big hucker and may want a 8" fork in the future get the big hit comp.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by dream4est
    phil forget the atomic. the breakdown between the kona and specialized is:
    1. the kona is $300-350 us cheaper. most dealers will swap out forks and give you credit so for just a little more than the stock big hit you could have a stinky with a real fork.
    2. the comp will out drop the big hit. the stinky is faster over g outs and a better dirt jumper.
    3. the comp has more travel and can be adjusted.
    4. the kona has a 26" rear wheel.

if you are not racing both bikes are fine choices. if you are gonna race both bikes are poor choices. if you are doing a lot of resort shuttling, hucking, djing and trail riding get a stinky with an upgrade to the manitou 04 slider plus spv. that should run about the same price as a stock big hit comp. if your a big hucker and may want a 8" fork in the future get the big hit comp.
    word.

like i said in your other post. get the stinky. so far mine has cost 1900 exactly. which is what you would pay for a bighit comp stock. and after riding both of them, im gonna come out and say my stinky owns the stock bighit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    yeh the stinky is a better dirt jumper...but the comp is better for DH as for it has a progressive rear and an adjustable rear (angles...)...the stinky is a good bike but restricts ur rear travel to 6" (can buy new linkage plates i think...)...the comp comes with 8 1/2"...in the long run the comp is a better choice as for u wont have to get a new frame for at least 2 years...just forks...get the comp...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Dude spend the extra jack on the 04 Norco A-line. Just E-bayed my bighit and got this rig. It is amzing compared to the bighit. Same FSR suspension but 8" of travel front and back. Plus you get a 888 vs a crappy Jr.T.