04 Bighit suspension- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

04 Bighit suspension

Hey all, I purchased a very nice used 04 bighit expert last season. I want to replace the fork and shock with something that is a little more plush and wont bottom(fork). I am looking into a good used shiver or 888rc or rc2x for the front and maybe a new roco world cup for the rear. How will this setup handle mostly DH and some freeride stuff in terms of bottoming resistance and plushness? I am looking at a 375 lb Ti coil for the shock, my 400 lb spring on my swinger 4 way seems a little stiff over the choppy/high frequency bumps. Should I go down a few lbs on the spring or will a new shock feel much better with a 400 lb spring vs 375? I want the bike to be nice and stable thru the really rough stuff and land nicely off the drops most of the time. Any advice for a good setup?

Ride fun
    Oct 2008
    zs friend got a 2005 Big hit frame with the rocco (not wc), and manitou dorado 2005, and other friend got the same bike(they are partners) with marzocchi super T, and i think so Fox dhx, 4.0 coil, http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...albumId=519371
    you can see the bikes there
    You build it, you change it, freeriding, whatever you want.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have on 05 that i put together for my brother. It has and 2005 Marz 888rc 8" travel and a Fox dhx5.0. I put a flat crown (inertia project) on it to lower the front because it was way to raked out. Also the front doesn't seem to keep up with the rear. I would try to find an rc2x. I think you will be happier.

Glad to Be Alive
    Shivers are nice on Big Hits
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    i put a DHX5.0 coil on my 04 big hit and it totally changed the bike for the better, felt like an entirely new bike... then again i was coming off the swinger 3 way that sucked pretty bad. I'd so throw a fox on there and call it a day, you'll be really happy with it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Any suggestions on what weight spring I should be using, I am probably about 160 with gear. I was looking at the fox 5.0, but I dont think I want propedal, plus ive got some red anodized bits on the bike already and the blue would really throw it off aesthetically speaking. What I like about the rocoWC is that it sounds like its very plush without the platform, it has compression adjust, it can be rebuilt at home, and lastly it would match up to the other red bits. I know I am being picky about the shock but bear with me. At the moment I am leaning towards the shiver because of its durability and good price in the used market, I would like a rc2x but would be happy with the shiver especially since its usually cheaper.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    bump

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by ruralrider528
    bump
    um...a shiver and a DHX 5.0 or a vanilla RC pushed...would be great
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    If used for shuttle / park riding I would throw a Roco on it (maybe have the Roco pushed as well) and either a Shiver or a 06/07 888. Stay away from the 08 Zochhi stuff - was a very bad vintage. Jury is still out on the 09 Zocchi stuff.

As for spring rates - if you decide to get it pushed they will advise you what to run. You may get more responses on the particular bike in the specialized forum.

mtbr member
    i have a 04 big hit with shiver and a vanilla rc and it works perfectly for dh what does pushed.
    2007 Cannondale Chase 1
    2004 Specilized Big Hit
    Mt. Airy Bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have a Giant Faith which originally came equipped w a Jr. T and a Manipoo 4-way. I switched over to a DHX 5 and 888 RC2x. Surprisingly, the 4-way held up pretty well (for a Manipoo) but when I switched it to a DHX 5, it felt SOOOOO much better. About the RC2x- It's an amazing fork even though it is a little bit heavy. It's super plush, yet it can handle drops very well, and it's adjustable! I hope this helps
    Let's all start a mrsalty is a whiny biatch thread...

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by win brooks
    i have a 04 big hit with shiver and a vanilla rc and it works perfectly for dh what does pushed.
    www.pushindustries.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    thanks guys! Im pretty much sold on the shiver for the fork, good used prices and extremely well made. The rc2x is very nice also but I have realized that my rig isnt going to be a pure race bike and its a little more expensive. I have heard that the dhx 5.0 has some spiking issues. I might just do that and if I have some issues with it I may get it pushed. I know that 08 zocchi forks are quite lackluster, are their 08 shocks just as bad?

Members who have read this thread: 0