02 Monster Or 05 888rr?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

02 Monster Or 05 888rr?

I am debating selling my monster and replacing it with a new 888 any thoughts?

Former Noob Herder
    depens on why you want to sell the Monster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

KOKOPELLI RACING

wow, we must be living in parallel universes. i too am thinking about ditching my monster-t - i think it's '03 (too lazy to go to the garage and look) - and replacing it w/ a 888.

here's what i know - i have a v10 w/ the monster-t, the turning is VERY sluggish and once you get the fork turned, it wants to keep turning. i've raced the v10 w/ the monster-t a few times in the am cup series. i got so frustrated i got on my buddies titus quasimoto w/ an '04 888 on it to try it out. we were at snow summit that day, bombing down a few of their trails.

MAN, what a difference, the bike felt like my trail bike - very responsive. keep in mind, part of the difference is the frames (v10 v. quasi), but regardless, there was no sluggishness, and the fork didn't feel lethargic like the monster-t.

as for looks, the monster-t looks awesome - makes the bike look like a chopper - which i like. i do some drops, but none of that "red bull crazy" stuff, so i dont' think i take full advantage of the beef-iness of the monster-t.

so in a word, i'd replace the monster-t w/ the 888 - if only i didn't have to save for my wedding....

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by doubledecadefirehydrant
    wow, we must be living in parallel universes. i too am thinking about ditching my monster-t - i think it's '03 (too lazy to go to the garage and look) - and replacing it w/ a 888.

here's what i know - i have a v10 w/ the monster-t, the turning is VERY sluggish and once you get the fork turned, it wants to keep turning. i've raced the v10 w/ the monster-t a few times in the am cup series. i got so frustrated i got on my buddies titus quasimoto w/ an '04 888 on it to try it out. we were at snow summit that day, bombing down a few of their trails.

MAN, what a difference, the bike felt like my trail bike - very responsive. keep in mind, part of the difference is the frames (v10 v. quasi), but regardless, there was no sluggishness, and the fork didn't feel lethargic like the monster-t.

as for looks, the monster-t looks awesome - makes the bike look like a chopper - which i like. i do some drops, but none of that "red bull crazy" stuff, so i dont' think i take full advantage of the beef-iness of the monster-t.

so in a word, i'd replace the monster-t w/ the 888 - if only i didn't have to save for my wedding....

Isn't a Monster T shorter or the same height as a 888?

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    Isn't a Monster T shorter or the same height as a 888?

-TS
    Monster's Axle to crown height is like 1.5 inches shorter or something like that.
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Monster's Axle to crown height is like 1.5 inches shorter or something like that.
    depending on the year; pre-2003 models are shorter than the later models.

[email protected] NYC Freerider
    do the 02 monsters wiegh sub 8ib like the 01's? im not sure...i know my 03 monster wieghs 12ib---anyway---if its a older monster(pre 2003) id keep it. then again, the 888 is mighty nice.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by Master_Jako
    do the 02 monsters wiegh sub 8ib like the 01's? im not sure...i know my 03 monster wieghs 12ib---anyway---if its a older monster(pre 2003) id keep it. then again, the 888 is mighty nice.
    theres has never been a sub-8lbs Monster; all Monsters upto 2003 have been virtually identical with exception to the dampers.

New School
    I just got my '05 888 RC yesterday. It looks good, not mounted yet. It also comes with an embroidered carring case. Why? Who knows. Whetever, it is a really nice looking and riding fork, and i bet it is lighter and a whole less bulk than the monstarr.
    ALGIO E OLIO!

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by doubledecadefirehydrant

Yea, a 888 is still going to feel like ass on the front of your v10 unless you get lowrider crowns. Get a Shiver if you want Marz. but lighter than you monster without a retartded axle-crown height like a 888.

-TS

Doesnt ride Banshees
    I've own'd both and loved them in their own way. What it all boils down to is what your doing to do on the bike. The monster is superior freerider, but it wont compare to a 888 down the hill. Maybe i havent ridden dh, or ridden enough dh forks to notice the hight of my 888 but i havent found any instance that have made it feel to tall. It looks rediculous off the bike but i have mine set up super soft so i think the sag makes it feel just right. thats just me tho. I've ridden my friends with the go ride crowns, but on a totally different bike, so i cant say how much the hieght really changes things. whatever, its nice out, im going to ride now lol.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Only reason I am going to sell the monster is because I was offered $600 for it and I can
    EP the 888 with drop crowns for 67 dollars more. I just figured it was time to try a new
    fork.

TNC
    noMAD man

If yours is an '03 or later...

Quote Originally Posted by wgcviii
    Only reason I am going to sell the monster is because I was offered $600 for it and I can
    EP the 888 with drop crowns for 67 dollars more. I just figured it was time to try a new
    fork.
    And you can get $600 for it, then that sounds pretty good for the market on those 12lb. models--apparently the weight and A/C height are kinda unpopular. The 888 will be right at 8lbs. with an inch more travel (if you need that). My '02 Monster weighs 9lbs. 7oz. on our shop scale with a much shorter axle to crown height and 7" of travel. The '02 and older Monsters are exactly the same height as a Shiver (at 7") and basically the same as a Super T.

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by wgcviii
    fork.
    Edit your post with EP pricing.

-TS

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    Edit your post with EP pricing.

-TS
    haha too late we all know the dirty little secrets!!!!

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    haha too late we all know the dirty little secrets!!!!
    Jesus, maybe someone should just post EP and cost pricing and make it a sticky.

-TS