******r Friends?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

******r Friends?

anyone else have a friend, who sucks at riding, but has decided to buy a bike to go out and ride with you, then decides that whatever was on your wish list is in their shopping cart when they order all their ****... it drives me nuts boy what a life it must be to be single with no kids

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Really, it bugs you THAT much, get over it....let him enjoy it and enjoy riding yours

I guess to answer your question, no, but if he did I would probably post here about how much it bugged me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    wow, I find it surprising a ****** bag like you as friends . . .you must think you're sOOOO cool right ?

What kind of friend goes out and post that kind of crap about their friends on the internet ?Does your friend know you think he sucks on a bike? Does your friend know how bad you get pissed that he likes you and wants to be like you ?

mtbr member
    I'm glad you aren't my friend.

For The Win
    People like you have friends??
    Slow is cool too, right?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tuumbaq
    wow, I find it surprising a ****** bag like you as friends . . .you must think you're sOOOO cool right ?

Let me ask you this, what kind of friend goes out to post that kind of crap about their friends on the internet ?Does your friend know you think he sucks ?Does your friend know how bad you get pissed that he likes you and wants to be like you ?
    He himself says he sucks. and yes apparently, im freakin awesome i must be awesome because i get annoyed at the fact that everything i was looking at buying to the Dot on the I's he copied. its not that he wants to "be" me. he has no originality. i did not mention the fact that he rubs it in my face that i have to work my ass off to pay for a family and i have to buy bits and pieces of my bike one at a time, while he can go all out and order everything in one order. i guess its my bad for ranting somewhere.

Brings me to another OT of the OT thread.
    One thing i like about being stationed in korea, everyone who rides a bike here, isnt a dick

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kaniggitkev
    He himself says he sucks. and yes apparently, im freakin awesome i must be awesome because i get annoyed at the fact that everything i was looking at buying to the Dot on the I's he copied. its not that he wants to "be" me. he has no originality. i did not mention the fact that he rubs it in my face that i have to work my ass off to pay for a family and i have to buy bits and pieces of my bike one at a time, while he can go all out and order everything in one order. i guess its my bad for ranting somewhere.

Brings me to another OT of the OT thread.
    One thing i like about being stationed in korea, everyone who rides a bike here, isnt a dick

Doesn't sound like much a friend does he?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo4429
    Doesn't sound like much a friend does he?
    thus the reason of my rant. i tried to ease him into riding, since he really isnt good. helped him get a starter bike. built it for him, but thats pretty much when he went freak-o. but then again, my bad for ranting some where that i found a useful site. still useful. its kinda like jamis. their products are decent, but i sure didnt like the customer service

dirt rules
    Maybe if you are cool to him, and don't act like the ********** you sound like, he'll kick you down some parts someday.

Since that seems to be the only thing you care about.

mtbr member
    So, you're jealous that he's got a better job than you do and can afford shinier toys than you... Sucks to be you then.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Get better

That's something you can rub in his face

nothing better than having a pile of a bike yet still pinning it.

Glad to Be Alive

ck
    look at it another way....he respects you and the choices you want on your bike....so what if he buys stuff faster then you....you earned it and our still getting it with time...be glad you have your friend.....life is precious and can be gone instantly
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    bro you gotta get over that! don't you realize that the companies sell to other people besides you? you can't get mad cause I have the same bars, or cranks as you! that's pure jealousy, be happy with what you have and ride the crap out of it! envy is bad bro, not cool! be happy you inspired someone to get into this wonderful sport of ours!

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Think more about riding, think less about what you ride, and think nothing about what your friend is riding.

Moose Member
    This could be a good thing right? You're dying for the new and awesome looking shifters, but can't get them, so your rich buddy hops on them and has them the day they come out. He slaps them on and begs you to go for a ride. You are jealous and angry, but agree. Halfway through the ride his brand new shifter quits working, explodes, and kills him. Now you know not to get it...

Just kidding bout him dying, but if a product you want sucks, and he gets it, then you know not to get it, it's like a personal product tester so u no what to and what not to buy...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    just kick his a$$ on yoru " not so good as his" bike and be lucky your not paying child support or you would be riding a huffy from 1991
    i used to be a hot tar roofer, ya i remember that......day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey
    This could be a good thing right? You're dying for the new and awesome looking shifters, but can't get them, so your rich buddy hops on them and has them the day they come out. He slaps them on and begs you to go for a ride. You are jealous and angry, but agree. Halfway through the ride his brand new shifter quits working, explodes, and kills him. Now you know not to get it...

Just kidding bout him dying, but if a product you want sucks, and he gets it, then you know not to get it, it's like a personal product tester so u no what to and what not to buy...
    I try to encourage my friends to buy parts for this exact same reason. Anyone interested in buying some TLD T Bones and telling me how they they like them? Preferably someone with Kyle Strait experience.
    Last edited by jcook1989; 05-16-2011 at 10:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    actually ill take alot of what the rest of you had posted into thought. i also appreciate the fact that instead of bs replies, you actually had something decent and relevant to say

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Well, apparently except for one ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I know what you're talking about. I have had friends like that maybe not with biking but same concept. On the flip side, I'm probably considered a friend like that, although I'd like to think I'm original and don't straight up copy other peoples ideas, try not to at least, but when a guy as a good idea can't really be helped. And yes it is nice to be single and have no kids so you can spend stacks on hobbies and sports but you have a family to show for all the work and sacrifices that you've made. He has a nice bike. You kinda win that one.

mtbr member
    Heh, I'm lazy when it comes to shopping and I often rely on the hard work of my buddies to tell me what to buy. They research WAY more than I have the time to devote to some of the details. In my book, one more buddy to go riding with me with good gear means less of a chance that I'll be out pedaling alone.

Cheers!
    Yeah, well, the Dude abides.

mtbr member
    The OP has got it all wrong.

I wish I had a riding buddy that would buy all the things I wanted ahead of time. I could save a load of cash if I got the chance to try everything before buying.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm single an buy lots of cool **** lol. Me an my friend grew up together riding bikes. His parents had lots of money so he always had better bikes. Now that he is married and has two kids he rides a db response and I have my session. First day I showed him my new bike he was kinda like dude that's a waste of money, but when he put his ass on it an ripped down our favorite trail he gave me more respect. You only live once so you might as well buy the things you want!
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

mtbr member
    Your friend will only suck for so long. Being that he is single with no kids, he will have 10times more time than you to ride.
    Last edited by tmarkos; 05-17-2011 at 02:38 PM.

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
    Imitation is a form of flattery.

C__Corax
    Sep 2009
    you poor dude having a novice look up to you, and like what his experienced friend likes. the nerve, your a dbag. may you be plagued with daily flats and mechanicals for the next year.

maker of trail
    I'd put $5 on that when the OP started he probably sucked, probably looked upto someone for advice on what bits to get, and probably had the other guy saying something similar to all his cooler rider buddies...

You could take the opportunity to show the young padwan the ropes. Show him the mistakes not to make, the parts not to buy etc.

If you really don't like him copying you verbatim, don't friggin show him your dream list... this $hit is not that difficult.

mtbr member
    So come up with a new wish list of higher end parts. Explain to your friend that the current parts he has are not good enough (he looks up to you, he'll believe you). Offer to buy the old parts (your wish list) off of him at half price.

The once you have all his old parts, go riding by yourself.
    Take Gravity For A Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    ...... everything i was looking at buying to the Dot on the I's he copied. its not that he wants to "be" me. he has no originality.
    "Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery"

meow meow
    you are totally right, when ever i see someone with the same bike as me i flip. my dad even uses the same chain and shifters as me, the nerve of him!

mtbr member
    I have a friend with same exact issue as OP's.
    Used to bug the crap out of me too.

Until that one time he bought a CK rear hub, decided he didn't like the color and kicked it down to me for 100 bucks.

Been making use of several similar discards, most at $0 as he constantly upgrades.

Wish all my friends were like him!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    At least you're still riding and buying stuff, once my buddies have kids they disappear from the face of the earth! I'm married w/o kids and it's hard enough to "hide" the new shiny bits from the lady...

banned
    I used to have a friend like that, until I cut his brake cables on our favorite trail... one hospital visit, and one brain hemorage later, my problem was solved.

≈ > ♥
    Where are you stationed at/riding in Korea?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    anyone else have a friend, who sucks at riding, but has decided to buy a bike to go out and ride with you, then decides that whatever was on your wish list is in their shopping cart when they order all their ****... it drives me nuts boy what a life it must be to be single with no kids

I suggest you read this recent post in the Santa Cruz forum to try and get a clue as to what friendship means. Re-read as needed in the future. It sounds like you need it.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=709123

oh Jolina!!!
    I have a friend just like that, it doesn't piss me off though.

What pisses me off is when the part that i recommended breaks, he blames me.

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    look at it another way....he respects you and the choices you want on your bike....so what if he buys stuff faster then you....you earned it and our still getting it with time...be glad you have your friend.....life is precious and can be gone instantly

This is the best advice, so many take it all for granted.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Well, you can think of it this way... He looks up to you as a much better rider & takes all your comments about biking (parts and skills) as bible, although he's lacking in the skills at the moment he hope that by getting the stuffs you crave about, it will make him a better rider and be able to catch up with you during the ride?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zahgurim
    Where are you stationed at/riding in Korea?
    kunsan ab and i ride pretty much everywhere... gotta admit, dickish move on my part, but it still is annoying. it is something i gotta get over, that being said, to the people who actually posted useful comments thank you. to the ones who didnt, well whatever. but the majority did say, shut up and ride. i will have to agree! especially since, i will have some 66 rc3's replacing my 44 RLOs this weekend

V-Shaped Rut
    Get/keep your TS clearance. Get out of active duty. Do the same job for a lot more money as a contractor. Buy a better bike than your friend. Problem solved.

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    Well, apparently except for one ...
    JRA

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider
    This is the best advice, so many take it all for granted.
    Wurd, def take it as a compliment and he obviously thinks well enough of you and your choices, appreciate that. good friends respect the relationship is 2 way.
    I'm sure they work hard for what they have too, don't be jealous of that either, true friend ship is not about status,or competition of who has the most, its about being there in good times and more importantly toughing it out through bad times, show some loyalty. Not good form dude and I hope you haven't facebooked this either thats even worse.

As another said real friends don't post about you all over the net either or go around b*****g about you. Not good character and shows more about you and what you are like, hopefully you can mend ya bridges and be a better friend,.

What some one says about others says allot about them! [Reflection]
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Members who have read this thread: 0