$80 for.....- Mtbr.com

Thread: $80 for.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

$80 for.....

So lets say I have around $80 to spend and I have many new things I would love to buy, but it will not all fit in my budget, I would like to know what you would do. I currently have a Giant Pistol 1 and ride mostly only DH.
    A few of the things I have been looking at but cannot decide what to get are: Convert my tires to tubless with Stan's tubeless kit, which I think is like $60, Or, get some sort of hydration pack, but it must be able to hold my full face helmet & armor, so those are around $75 ish, Or, Goggles ( was looking at fox the main vertigo), Or, Bash guard ( since the crank teeth stabbed into my leg deeply last time), Or anything else that you think might really help with DH riding.

I'm looking for any combination that would give the greatest improvement, whether it be in saftey, speed, handeling, comfort, etc.

Thanks alot in advance, I'm just looking for other's experiences if something helps them out alot more than other things.

I can ride a two-wheeler
    if you have no chain tensioner...thats #1 for that bike if youre doing downhill..should set you back about 50$

and #2, if you have no hydration backpack, theyve got some at costco for 20$

#3- downhill tubes if you don't have them

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Oh, or some new grips ( they're starting to come apart)

Professional Troll
    and for godsake don't buy the stans kit. Just get the sealant for 15 bucks and use a bmx tube cut in half. Search for "ghetto tubeless" for instructions

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05
    and for godsake don't buy the stans kit. Just get the sealant for 15 bucks and use a bmx tube cut in half. Search for "ghetto tubeless" for instructions

true dat.....the stans is ridiculus expensive
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Put it in a savings account towards a new bike. While you are working hard and saving run that thing into the ground. If the only reason you want a bash ring is to keep the ring from poking you then do this: Take the ring that's on there now and use a grinding wheel to grind all the teeth off it. VIOLA. Ghetto bashring.

Slap happy crappiness
    If you need a bash guard... I have a brand new E.13 clear Super Charger. I'll can give it to you for $20 shipped. I think it goes for about $35 in shops.
    4 bolt, 40t max. That should help you get a few other things on your wish list.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

gkl
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    true dat.....the stans is ridiculus expensive
    at first, yeah expensive. but you also have to consider how often you switch out tires. each time you swap running ghetto, it requires a new tube (according to what i've heard). i have the kit personally and i have been using the same strip in each tire for about two years now and still going strong. so, stans is reusable while tubes aren't. admittedly, most people don't switch tires often enough for tubes to end up costing more, but still....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gkl
    each time you swap running ghetto, it requires a new tube (according to what i've heard).
    You've heard wrong. I've used the same tube rim strips 8 or 10 times on different wheels.

N* Bomber Crew
    $80 will get you a keg of Bud Light or Coors Light. It'll make you ride better.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Meh.
    If you need a Stan's kit, I got two strips and part of a bottle that you can have for 20.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    thank you for the responses. Well, the new bike is out of the question, I feel I do fine on mine for DH, but, I do like the ghetto tubeless idea. How'd that go for anyone? Do you find the ghetto tubeless works well and improves things? Is it good for DH, I do hate pinch flats. so the stan's sealant is $15 and two 20" bike tubes will be like $10, that's $25, so what else to do with the rest? I might do a cheap hydration pack. I also do not know anything about a chain tensioner, all I keep seeing is for them as converting into single speed. But what else would you get to make the absolute biggest difference with not so much money. Thanks again for the help

I can ride a two-wheeler
    Quote Originally Posted by decemberdays27
    thank you for the responses. Well, the new bike is out of the question, I feel I do fine on mine for DH, but, I do like the ghetto tubeless idea. How'd that go for anyone? Do you find the ghetto tubeless works well and improves things? Is it good for DH, I do hate pinch flats. so the stan's sealant is $15 and two 20" bike tubes will be like $10, that's $25, so what else to do with the rest? I might do a cheap hydration pack. I also do not know anything about a chain tensioner, all I keep seeing is for them as converting into single speed. But what else would you get to make the absolute biggest difference with not so much money. Thanks again for the help
    if your chain falls off a lot...which I'm pretty sure it does if you say you're using that bike for downhill....get a chain tensioner

it tensions up the chain, so it falls off less

you can use two chainrings for it, so you can just unbolt the biggest one, which probably barely gets used for downhill anyway

heres one:
    http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-1...ain-guide.aspx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    if your chain falls off a lot...which I'm pretty sure it does if you say you're using that bike for downhill....get a chain tensioner

it tensions up the chain, so it falls off less

you can use two chainrings for it, so you can just unbolt the biggest one, which probably barely gets used for downhill anyway

heres one:
    http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-1...ain-guide.aspx

Yeah man. That would be called a chain GUIDE. A tensioner is something entirely different.

I can ride a two-wheeler
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde
    Yeah man. That would be called a chain GUIDE. A tensioner is something entirely different.
    o yea, wrong word w/e, i think most people reading this thread knew what I meant

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    ok, I understand now. So it looks like the best bet is to take off my largest ring, put on a bashguard and get a chain guide? Anyone know the best prices of a bashguard and chain guide that will work on my bike and work together?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Dont just waste your money on your bike( wait, what???). Just b/c you have 80 bucks doesn't mean you have to spend all of it.

1.Grind down your outer chainring price:free
    2. Buy a chain tensioner OR chain guide price: 20-40 bucks(approx.)
    3. Research (ghetto) tubeless and decide if neccessary/a good improvement price: about 25 bucks.

I personally wouldn't bother with tubeless(calm down everybody, thats just my opinion)If you decide not to go tubeless, buy some grips instead.

So, your looking to spend about 50-65 bucks, to buy the things you NEED(ie: not tubeless) Thats gives you a lil money left over to buy a hamburger, or a coke
    Buy My 2010 Mint COndition Transition Covert LARGE 150mm Full suspension. 2000 firm see classified add

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    lol, thank you for that, but don't worry, i'm not going to claim bankrupt from my $80 bike improvements, but I also wasn't saying i had $80, I was just wondering what you all felt was best improvements for me if I did have that amount.

I was wondering though why you prefer tubes rather than tubeless.
    and, do people ride with hydration packs always? I feel it'd be convienent, but can't find one for cheap.

Will to Win
    i ride a Camelback chaos... best damn thing i've bought in my life! carries EVERYTHING
    even a machete when trails need maintenance!
    2008 Transition Dirtbag Custom
    2003 Schwinn Moab 2 Singlespeed

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    When I think about mountain biking, I think about how far away I am if something happens. In the rare event you get a flat, if you have tubes, you just replace them, but if you're tubeless, your pretty much screwed unless you have a sh*tload of air or your bead seats right away. For me, its just another thing that can go wrong/screw you

Like I said, thats just my opinion.....
    Buy My 2010 Mint COndition Transition Covert LARGE 150mm Full suspension. 2000 firm see classified add

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain biker 41
    ....but if you're tubeless, your pretty much screwed unless you have a sh*tload of air or your bead seats right away.
    Just carry a tube, like you always would. Take your rim strip out and put the tube in. Doesn't sound like much of a problem now, does it?
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Just carry a tube, like you always would. Take your rim strip out and put the tube in. Doesn't sound like much of a problem now, does it?
    Dude, chill, like I said thats just my opinion. Personally I think its pointless to run tubeless if you still have to carry tubes, BUT THATS JUST MY OPINION!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain biker 41
    Dude, chill, like I said thats just my opinion. Personally I think its pointless to run tubeless if you still have to carry tubes, BUT THATS JUST MY OPINION!!!!!
    Fail

Your opinion is wrong. Thank you. Come again.

Jersey Hucker
    You can use a zip tie and and some piece of tube to make a pretty sick ghetto chainguide too, just save up so you can get a real DH/FR bike though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    WOW

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    how important are goggles? Do you find that it is necessary riding with them?

moaaar shimz
    Very necesary... a small piece of wood, dirt or a small rock that hits your eye may cause very serious damage.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Needing goggles depends on where you ride,and If you ride with friends. I would recommend them though...

mtbr member
    On that bike and if you haven't gotten to the point where you already know whether or not you need goggles I'd say you definitely don't. Goggles are more to keep dust and mud out of your eyes then anything else. When mine get nasty on a run or I don't really need them they get pulled around my neck. I probably have them on my neck more than my face.

I can ride a two-wheeler
    I rarely wear my goggles too....usually just on muddy or moist dh runs, and races

$80 seriously isn't too much money in the dwonhill mtn biking world....thats barely any money when it comes to real downhilling....top of the line downhill rigs probably have tires on them that cost way upwards of 80$ for the pair

for now, for your bike i would put like 150$ into it for NECESSITIES (not nice add-ons like tubeless) to make it a downhill specific rig like: a chain guide, downhill tires(if you don't have em), shorter stem..probably a couple other little things too here and there

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    ok, thank you very much, I appreciate all the help. So, to make it a downhill rig, you would say: Chain guide, Downhill tires, Shorter stem, and what else, or is that all I really need? Thanks again, I just want to get a list going of what I should eventually get if I want my bike at its downhilling best.

I can ride a two-wheeler
    ok, thank you very much, I appreciate all the help. So, to make it a downhill rig, you would say: Chain guide, Downhill tires, Shorter stem, and what else, or is that all I really need? Thanks again, I just want to get a list going of what I should eventually get if I want my bike at its downhilling best.
    to add to the above:
    *dh tubes (if you're not going with stan's kit)
    *equip for yourself if you don't have any of that: fullface helmet,camelpack, pads etc.
    *make sure you got all the maintainance down on your bike too: wheels trued, chain oiled, headset greased etc.
    *a no poser attitude

....not really worth putting anything else other than this stuff listed into that frame for dh, imo

oh, you can also cut off a good section of your seat tube if you like- to save some weight like you're trying to do with Stan's kit....if you said you use it for downhill, it's all the way down most of the time anyway

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    alright, thank you very much for all your help. I got stan's sealant today and a 20" tube to use as the strip, but had terrible luck. I tried it on my kenda blue groove tire ( didnt have the money at the moment for new tires). I couldnt even get any air at all into the tire. I couldnt get the bead to sit on the outside of the rim, it kept meeting in the middle and no air would go in at all. I just don't know what to do. I didnt try it on my other tire yet (nevagal). Does anyone know how to get the tire onto the rim and make it stay there until I get some air into it to make it seat? Does the blue groove even work, and whats this I read that you can't use kenda with stan's, is that serious?

I can ride a two-wheeler
    alright, thank you very much for all your help. I got stan's sealant today and a 20" tube to use as the strip, but had terrible luck. I tried it on my kenda blue groove tire ( didnt have the money at the moment for new tires). I couldnt even get any air at all into the tire. I couldnt get the bead to sit on the outside of the rim, it kept meeting in the middle and no air would go in at all. I just don't know what to do. I didnt try it on my other tire yet (nevagal). Does anyone know how to get the tire onto the rim and make it stay there until I get some air into it to make it seat? Does the blue groove even work, and whats this I read that you can't use kenda with stan's, is that serious?
    you need an air compressor....

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I used one, but the air flapped out of the tire still.

mtbr member
    I used one, but the air flapped out of the tire still.
    Wrap a bunch of electric tape in the center of the rim under your BMX tube. This builds up the center so the tire can seal before it gets on the shoulder. Beyond that sometimes you just have to work them around a bit to get them sealed while you blast air in it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    ok, thanks, ill try that.

StraightOuttaCompton
    go with the ghetto tubelesss and a pack form costco. they will hold your helmet if you hook it on right.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    dear god, you ride downhill on a Pistol. One of these days you are going to get pwned. Literally!
    Hey, My Picture is Finally of Me!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Surprisingly, it holds up very well.

Members who have read this thread: 0