Upgrades to your Diamondback- Mtbr.com
    Trying to be helpful

Upgrades to your Diamondback

Thought it would be cool to start a thread for DB owners to post upgrades to their bikes.

I'll start, made the following upgrades to my Release 5C (aka: Shreddpool). Swapped out the Guide RS for some Shimano Zee's, though not your average set of Zee's. Upgraded my upgrade with tool free reach adjusters and swapped the cotter pin for screws, parts came from an old set of SLX 675's that I had. Next is is rotors, 203F and 180R.

Sent from #THELEGENDMTB using Tapatalk on an iPhone
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    Thought it would be cool to start a thread for DB owners to post upgrades to their bikes.

I'll start, made the following upgrades to my Release 5C (aka: Shreddpool). Swapped out the Guide RS for some Shimano Zee's, though not your average set of Zee's. Upgraded my upgrade with tool free reach adjusters and swapped the cotter pin for screws, parts came from an old set of SLX 675's that I had. Next is is rotors, 203F and 180R.

Sent from #THELEGENDMTB using Tapatalk on an iPhone
    Looks good. I have been shopping for a good 4 piston setup to update to. I want to stick with either Sram or maybe try out TRS though.

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerm2006 View Post
    Looks good. I have been shopping for a good 4 piston setup to update to. I want to stick with either Sram or maybe try out TRS though.
    Yeah I have no working issues with my Guides, they were just severely under powered for my needs. If the bike had come with Codes, I would've likely stuck with them, but for what I paid for the Zee's it was too easy and I like (prefer) Shimano. Good luck sorting out which way to go, I had so many choices to whittle down from it was painful sometime trying to decide. In the end being able to move over the tool free reach sold me, I didn't care about the contact pad stuff, never had it wont miss it.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    I swapped my brakes on my Release to Shimano 4-piston as well, XT 8020 (pretty similar to Zee I think?). That plus 203/180 IceTech rotors was a huge upgrade in stopping power.

Iíve upgraded a bunch of other things too- i9 wheelset, tires, 800mm carbon bar, Wolftooth dropper lever, grips, seat, stem, OneUp bits, etc.

Iím in the market for a new bike, but Iíve upgraded enough parts that Iím considering just buying a new carbon frameset and moving all the parts over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DB Release 3
    Kona Rove ST + Burley D'Lite

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Nice looking rig, if you donít mind me asking what did that i9 wheelset set you back? My wife wants that setup on her near future (Clutch 1) but with purple hub and spokes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluroo View Post
    Nice looking rig, if you donít mind me asking what did that i9 wheelset set you back? My wife wants that setup on her near future (Clutch 1) but with purple hub and spokes.
    I got them lightly used from a buddy for $650, so probably cheaper than youíd typically find. Theyíre expensive new, like $1200 or more. They look, sound, and perform awesome though!

DB Release 3
    Kona Rove ST + Burley D'Lite

mtbr member
    • New wheels...WTB i35 Asyms laced to Hope Pro 4 hubs.
    • Replaced the fork with the same thing but 29/27.5+ version. Running the bike as a plus bike. 2.8f/2.6r. Working great.
    • 203/180 rotors.
    • Just ordered a SRAM GX Eagle group that I'm hoping to have by this weekend.
    • ESI Extra Chunky grips.
    • Manitou McLeod shock. I think that's it.

Upgrades to your Diamondback-27.5-.jpg
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    • Replaced the fork with the same thing but 29/27.5+ version. Running the bike as a plus bike. 2.8f/2.6r. Working great.
    • 203/180 rotors.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27.5+.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	341.0 KB 
ID:	1248071
    I was gonna tell you I have some near new (less than 50 miles) take offs from my 2019 Bronson C S Build, GX eagle shifter, cassette, derrailure, and chain.

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by DETarch View Post
    I swapped my brakes on my Release to Shimano 4-piston as well, XT 8020 (pretty similar to Zee I think?). That plus 203/180 IceTech rotors was a huge upgrade in stopping power.

Iíve upgraded a bunch of other things too- i9 wheelset, tires, 800mm carbon bar, Wolftooth dropper lever, grips, seat, stem, OneUp bits, etc.

Iím in the market for a new bike, but Iíve upgraded enough parts that Iím considering just buying a new carbon frameset and moving all the parts over

Solid upgrades, sweet!

XT 4 pots are similar to Saint\Zee, though they have slight less power, smaller pistons (XT 15/17 vs Saint/Zee 16/18) and levers are a bit different, the ratio of slave piston area to master piston area is higher, therefor the mechanical advantage is higher, therefor less force at the lever required to get a given pad-to-rotor force.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Trying to be helpful
    • 203/180 rotors.

Name:	27.5+.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	341.0 KB 
ID:	1248071
    Solid changes
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Got some new wheels on the haanjo a couple weeks ago. Loving the 27.5s on it.
    Upgrades to your Diamondback-eee4efac-b411-4044-80e7-b4481811f8fd.jpeg

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by Double_Deez View Post
    Got some new wheels on the haanjo a couple weeks ago. Loving the 27.5s on it.

Name:	EEE4EFAC-B411-4044-80E7-B4481811F8FD.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	346.4 KB 
ID:	1248104
    Oh thats awesome, been thinking of doing that to my Haanjo. Hows the ride, much improvement?
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fst96se View Post
    I was gonna tell you I have some near new (less than 50 miles) take offs from my 2019 Bronson C S Build, GX eagle shifter, cassette, derrailure, and chain.
    Dang. PM a price. I might know someone else interested.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Oh thats awesome, been thinking of doing that to my Haanjo. Hows the ride, much improvement?
    Itís great, definitely a bit slower on pavement which was to be expected. But verrrry nice on gravel. Noticeably less seat bump when sitting and spinning on dirt and also being able to crank up steeper hills without the rear tire spinning out is a huge plus. Still keeping the 700c set for more road oriented days. I say you go for it!

Trying to be helpful
    Itís great, definitely a bit slower on pavement which was to be expected. But verrrry nice on gravel. Noticeably less seat bump when sitting and spinning on dirt and also being able to crank up steeper hills without the rear tire spinning out is a huge plus. Still keeping the 700c set for more road oriented days. I say you go for it!
    Thanks sounds like what I'm looking for, I want a smoother road ride, even with 700x40 it feels rougher than I want. Though I might be spoiled my other commuter has 26x4.8 fatties on it - SMOOOOOOOOOOTH riding. lol
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    What size rims and tires are you using? I'd be curious if I could fit something like that on my Kona. I'm running 40c tires on i25 rims with plenty of room to spare. I was thinking about getting a new geared gravel bike towards end of the year when my truck is paid off and I was looking hard at the Haanjo 5C EXP but I'm not sure I want a triple up front and I've never used barend shifters. I understand it's more of a long distance bike packing setup but I think it would be a cool bike even for shorter 25-50 miles rides that I'd be doing with it. Of course I could swap out the shifty bits for more conventional stuff. But the 27.5 setup on a gravel road bike is definitely intriguing.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Iím sure you wouldnít have a figment issue if you can already fit 40s and what Iím guessing are 700c rims. Setup Iím running is wtb KOMs 27.5 i25 with 47c Ventures. Basically Iím building up a second gravel bike but going steel frame and 1x11 setup for bikepacking, and thought I might as well start with the wheels since I can at least enjoy them now instead of staring at a half built bike forever lol.

mtbr member
    Thanks sounds like what I'm looking for, I want a smoother road ride, even with 700x40 it feels rougher than I want. Though I might be spoiled my other commuter has 26x4.8 fatties on it - SMOOOOOOOOOOTH riding. lol
    Yeah thatís gonna be pretty damn hard to beat hahah

mtbr member
    Iím sure you wouldnít have a figment issue if you can already fit 40s and what Iím guessing are 700c rims. Setup Iím running is wtb KOMs 27.5 i25 with 47c Ventures. Basically Iím building up a second gravel bike but going steel frame and 1x11 setup for bikepacking, and thought I might as well start with the wheels since I can at least enjoy them now instead of staring at a half built bike forever lol.
    Thanks. Yeah...I'm on 700/29" WTB Team Frequency i25 rims and Gravel King 40c tires.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Installed this today...first ride tomorrow...

Upgrades to your Diamondback-58694242_10157132813084291_6656686322201133056_o.jpg
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I've shared my bike before, but I just recently "completed" my build. At the moment there is nothing else I'd want for this bike. It started life as a 2017 Diamondback Release 1 but it's a long shot from that now.

1. Suspension: Yari Fork and Monarch R shock have been replaced with a SR Suntour Auron PCS RC2 fork and a Mantiou McLeod shock.

2. New Wheel's: (This was the most recent addition and completed my build). I replaced the Blanchard stock wheels with DT Swiss XM421 Rims laced up on a DT 350 hub. I am running a Forekaster 2.35 front and a Ardent Race 2.35 rear tires.

3. Drivetrain: Replaced the complete NX 11 build with a mix. X01 11 speed shifter, GX rear derailluer, GX Eagle crankset, and a e13 Trs+ 9-46 Cassette.

4. Brakes: Replaced the Level brakes with Guide R brakes. Also have Matchmaker setup so shifter and dropper remote is now all on one mount.

5. Dropper post: Stock it was a rigid post, I have added a 170mm Brand-X Ascend XL post with a Wolftooth ReMote

6. Contact points: Saddle, stem, bars, grips, pedals have all been swapped out or changed. Literally the only thing stock on the bike still is the headset and bottom bracket.

To start out this was a large aluminum frame. I don't have the starting weight, but based on my calculations it should have been 32.6 lbs from the factory. I have weighed it with all my changes and upgrades and it is now down to 31 Lbs even.

I am so thrilled with this bike. Plan on running it for a long time. Just had my first kid, so new bike won't be in my near future.

Haven't had a chance to get out and ride because the central midwest is underwater, but hopefully soon and a trip to Bentonville is in the books for next month.

Here are some pictures, the one in front of the garage has the new wheels, the other two are brighter but have old wheelset still. Also a more minor note...I blacked out the white area on the top tube as I thought it looked better more blacked out. I also made red decals to cover the blue SR Suntour decals on the fork.

One more note in case anyone is curious, On shorter rides I don't like riding with any sort of pack. On my frame I have a Syncros bottle cage which has a pump, multitool, chain breaker, and quick link storage on it. I also slipped a side of bacon into that storage as well and taped on with electrical tape the tire plug punch. I also have a tube hook/looped to the frame.
    Upgrades to your Diamondback-s1600_img_2084.jpgUpgrades to your Diamondback-s1600_ymblmqoutbm9qo3_gljtta.jpgUpgrades to your Diamondback-s1600_1x3vua4bs_mxzzbux98lza.jpg

Trying to be helpful
    bmied31 some solid upgrades congrats on the newly built up ride. I've heard good things about the McLeod, seems a solid choice lots of people on here seem to like it for the Level Link bikes. I'd bet that wheelset saved you some good weight, should pedal really nice once you get back out there. Also great choice on your dropper remote, personally think Wolftooth has one of the best remotes in the game, so many cool features, definitely worth the money. Great build thanks for sharing.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    So my first real upgrade on my Release 3. I wanted a little more rise on my bars to get a little more comfort. I went ahead and got the limited edition carbon black stealth bars from Renthal. Saves about a half pound also! Really excited and seem pretty strong. Also got some sintered pads for the levels. Going to upgrade those next with some 4 piston brakes but I wanted to get my hands up some.

Upgrades to your Diamondback-img_1153-2.jpg
    Upgrades to your Diamondback-img_1154.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    If you donít mind me asking what did Jose new wheels set you back?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluroo View Post
    If you donít mind me asking what did Jose new wheels set you back?
    You asking me? I got the XM421 with DT350 hubs for 350 on eBay for $302. Lightly used takeoffs from a Yeti SB5 Turq 2017. Owner said he only had 30 miles on them and it looks like that or less. Perfect condition.

I was gonna get some Arch Mk3 built up with DT350 hubs but this seemed like a better option.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bmied31 View Post
    You asking me? I got the XM421 with DT350 hubs for 350 on eBay for $302. Lightly used takeoffs from a Yeti SB5 Turq 2017. Owner said he only had 30 miles on them and it looks like that or less. Perfect condition.

I was gonna get some Arch Mk3 built up with DT350 hubs but this seemed like a better option.
    Good find on those wheels, I was thinking of using (bicycle wheel warehouse) but not to sure on the build quality their putting out. Ebay might be a better choice. Thanks for the reply.

mtbr member
    Do you have a shop with a wheel builder? That's the BEST option if they are decent. My guy is really good and the shop charges $50 per wheel but the after build support is worth it. And shop for good deals and you can get a good wheel set for not a load of money. I have about $500 total in my WTB Asym i35/ Hope Pro 4 local built wheels.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Do you have a shop with a wheel builder? That's the BEST option if they are decent. My guy is really good and the shop charges $50 per wheel but the after build support is worth it. And shop for good deals and you can get a good wheel set for not a load of money. I have about $500 total in my WTB Asym i35/ Hope Pro 4 local built wheels.
    Small town with a small bike shop. The owner is the main wrenchíer. Heís a real nice guy but is only there part time since he has a full time job doing something else. He stated he builds wheels but charges $60 an hr. That wheelset you hade built is way better than the one I specked thru BWWH. Easton ARC 30 27.5 Wheels with (speed tuned super 6) hubs for $550 and change. I havenít even heard of those speed tuned hubs before. For another $180 I can get the DT Swiss 350 hubs instead.

I wish DB would sell their Blanchardís separately with an upgraded hub, that would make it easier and maybe cheaper.

mtbr member
    Yeah. $60/hr is steep unless he works lightening fast. You could always buy a new rear hub and lace into your stock rim to save money. Front wheel/hub should be fine and need really need an upgrade or at least right off the bat. Hopes are inexpensive and DT350's are even cheaper unless you get the 36T upgrade then the price comes out to be about the same as a Hope. Spend a little more and you can get an i9 101 Classic. Order custom cut spokes and lace the wheel yourself. Lacing is easy. It's the truing and tensioning that is the art. Might have to try a different town to get a fair price. My shop is an hour away.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Yeah started checking out of town, Iím about 45min from Bakersfield. Action sports has (Bontrager line comp 30 TLR) for less than $350 a set, I know itís a (Trek) wheelset but for that price I might just have to do it. Just a backup set anyway.

aan
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Anybody throw on some carbon wheels? I have a 5c and considering trying the santa cruz reserves (you can demo these at some local shops) or we are one wheels with DT Swiss hubs....big $ plunge though so I am a little hesitant.

Trying to be helpful
    Will be upgrading the Fox 36 Fit4 fork that came on my Release 5CA in the next few weeks with the following:

Vorsprung Luftkappe - Fox Float 34 & 36

Name:  2019-05-14 09_53_04-Vorsprung Luftkappe - Fox Float 34 & 36 Ė Vorsprung Suspension.png
Views: 80
Size:  61.7 KB

Vorsprung Fractive Fork Tuning System - Fox Fit4 Dampers

Upgrades to your Diamondback-2019-05-14-09_55_10-vorsprung-fractive-fork-tuning-system-fox-fit4-dampers-%96-vorsprung-suspens.jpg

This should hopefully improve the ride characteristics of the fork, which either feels too stiff or too soft. Thought about changing out the Fit4 damper for the GRIP2, but the Fractive tuning is more inline with a "custom tune" so should provide a better ride feel than the stock/ middle of the road tune in the GRIP2.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor