mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Upgrades to Release to make it more XC worthy

I have a Release 3 that I have had for about 4 months now. I致e been riding more distance lately and doing some xc races, albeit I知 not competitive, just trying to push myself more. I have a 40 mile race next weekend and I知 curious what are some good upgrades to made it more XC worthy if I keep doing these type of events.

So far I have upgrade to some carbon bars (bent the old ones in a crash) and a little longer and lighter stem. Also changed to a Vittoria Morsa rear tire which helps with some rolling resistance.

What else could I change out to save some weight other than $1,000 wheel sets? any budget wheel sets that would be a noticeable improvement?

mtbr member
    Lighter wheels, tubeless and faster rolling tires..... maybe a 130mm air shaft to drop the chopper front end. As far as racer gram hunting.... loose the dropper post and go with a Carbon one.
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Running tubeless currently, maybe I値l try a lighter tire up front as The cheapest next step. I need a tough tire because all are rocks where I知 at.

I like my dropper to much to part with it at this point.

Anyone know how much the Blanchard wheels weigh? Any recommend wheel set upgrades for less than $500?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    You can get a set of DT Swiss M 1700's from the German stores (bike24, r2, bike components, etc) for $500 or less. They're not xc light, but a lot lighter than the blanchards. You'll notice a difference in acceleration and overall performance. A nice set of wheels for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by josh02_2001 View Post
    Running tubeless currently, maybe I値l try a lighter tire up front as The cheapest next step. I need a tough tire because all are rocks where I知 at.

I like my dropper to much to part with it at this point.

Anyone know how much the Blanchard wheels weigh? Any recommend wheel set upgrades for less than $500?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by La Nada View Post
    You can get a set of DT Swiss M 1700's from the German stores (bike24, r2, bike components, etc) for $500 or less. They're not xc light, but a lot lighter than the blanchards. You'll notice a difference in acceleration and overall performance. A nice set of wheels for the price.
    I have these. They're a good mix of durable and light.

I'm not so sure about morsa rear. That's a slow roller, no? Might try ikon 2.35 or xr2 2.4 rear, with a rekon 2.6 front. That would be faster rolling, but with decent traction so you're not too outside your element from the 'trail' wheels and tires.

Don't drop the dropper. Just use it to drop Roadies on the descent and to intimidate then with your sick skills.

If you carry a pack drop it. Strap a tube and pump to the frame and wear a normal 3 pocket Jersey, which is plenty of room for tools, phone, food.

I forgot this bike doesn't have a bottle cage inside the frame. If you can strap one on the top tube just for races that would be ideal to get the weight off your back.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    I personally wouldn't drop the fork past 140mm, 130 is going to be to low especially when it comes to your botton bracket.

Like other have said lighter, faster rolling tubeless tires and lighter wheels. Good luck finding much for $500, light wheels ain't cheap.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

mtbr member
    Look at magic wheels. There are a bunch of deals out there.... just search 杜avic boost wheels

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    As a follow up to dropping the pack, I have a waist pack (similar to fanny pack) that I use to keep a multi tool, tube, pump, and two 16 oz bottles of water/sports drink, some food. Do you think this adds unnecessary weight? I feel like the weight would be in the same location as the jersey, but I知 a newbie so curious if I知 wrong.

I値l look into those tires. This race will be around Bentonville and you need tough tires to ride here. There was a professional Xc race here this past Fall and the common theme was that most of the field got several flats or sidewall tears on their light XC tires, saw one pro finish on a flat and he said he rode the last several miles like that because it was his 4th flat and didn稚 have the means to fix another one. I知 trying to avoid that if possible.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Curious why the German sites are cheaper than American?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    No idea, but they're usually quite a bit cheaper on dt swiss products. You can get custom builds with dt swiss components for pretty cheap too. I ordered my wheels from bike 24. Took about 10 days to get Nevada. No issues at all. 2 year manufacturer warranty on them.

QUOTE=josh02_2001;13904451]Curious why the German sites are cheaper than American?[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Those would be ideal if they were 30 instead of 25mm wide.

mtbr member
    Race wheels!!!!! Wide=heavy. the Op wants to ride a 40 mile race and rotational weight a bitch.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I致e been looking closer at the Mavic wheels posted above. Would I need to buy anything else to make them work on the release? I ride a lot of different trails in NW Arkansas which has a little bit of everything. Can these take abuse of occasional jumps and drops. I weigh about 160 lbs so I知 not a heavy rider.

How easy would it be to keep these with lighter xc tires and the original Blanchard痴 with heavier trail tires and just switch back and forth by moving the cassette from one wheel set to the other depending what riding I am doing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by josh02_2001 View Post
    I致e been looking closer at the Mavic wheels posted above. Would I need to buy anything else to make them work on the release? I ride a lot of different trails in NW Arkansas which has a little bit of everything. Can these take abuse of occasional jumps and drops. I weigh about 160 lbs so I知 not a heavy rider.

How easy would it be to keep these with lighter xc tires and the original Blanchard痴 with heavier trail tires and just switch back and forth by moving the cassette from one wheel set to the other depending what riding I am doing?
    Ok, make sure you get the right kind of cogstack and disks and as long as you regularly replace your chain, you should be fine. A lighter set of wheels are the best performance mod you can do.

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    Be sure you have a good and trusty wheelbuilder at the ready. Being that they are 24 hole wheels, if your planning to do jumps and drops you may want to have someone check them occasionally.

Honestly I would keep these for race day or long days in the saddle. If your going to be doing drops and such, throw the old heavier/stronger wheels on.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail