Sync'r - Anyone try a longer fork?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Sync'r - Anyone try a longer fork?

I recently picked up a used 2017 Sync'r to n+1 my beloved 2017 Release 3. I have already bought a x1 drivetrain to replace the NX that came on the bike, and I keep on finding myself wanting to upgrade everything on the Sync'r up to similar spec as my Release 3. I'm currently looking at getting a replacement fork for the stock 130mm RS Recon Silver, and finding many 140mm and 150mm forks at decent prices. I will say that the main thing I am looking for is increased fork stiffness, so this might actually be counterintuative, but I just feel like the Recon fork is a wet noodle compared to the 150mm Pike that I am used to on my Release. Maybe I will swap my Pike onto this frame as a test in the near future...

I'm curious if anyone has tried a longer fork on the frame and whether or not you would suggest the changes that would come with raising the front of the bike higher than stock. I'm not exactly feeling like I 'need' the extra travel at this point, especially since I will probably be riding my Release on more abusive trails, but sometimes its just fun to replace parts and see what happens. Just looking for any input before I pull the trigger and potentially regret wasting my money.

Sync'r - Anyone try a longer fork?-syncr.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I'm currently in the same situation as you. I was considering upgrading my front fork as well on my 2017 sync'r.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I think I am going to wind up throwing my 150mm pike on the Sync'r, for science, and see what happens.

Does anyone know if the newer Sync'r frame has been updated to have the 66* HTA, or if its just the longer 140mm fork with the same frame that changes the geo?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I'm pretty certain the frame is different. A 10mm fork increase is usually ~ 0.5 degree change in the head angle. So just that alone wouldn't be enough to slacken it that much.

Also, the new bike has a boost rear end, and if memory serves, they've got a steeper sta, and more reach/wheelbase too. But I couldn't find old geo numbers to confirm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dado_ View Post
    I recently picked up a used 2017 Sync'r to n+1 my beloved 2017 Release 3. I have already bought a x1 drivetrain to replace the NX that came on the bike, and I keep on finding myself wanting to upgrade everything on the Sync'r up to similar spec as my Release 3. I'm currently looking at getting a replacement fork for the stock 130mm RS Recon Silver, and finding many 140mm and 150mm forks at decent prices. I will say that the main thing I am looking for is increased fork stiffness, so this might actually be counterintuative, but I just feel like the Recon fork is a wet noodle compared to the 150mm Pike that I am used to on my Release. Maybe I will swap my Pike onto this frame as a test in the near future...

I'm curious if anyone has tried a longer fork on the frame and whether or not you would suggest the changes that would come with raising the front of the bike higher than stock. I'm not exactly feeling like I 'need' the extra travel at this point, especially since I will probably be riding my Release on more abusive trails, but sometimes its just fun to replace parts and see what happens. Just looking for any input before I pull the trigger and potentially regret wasting my money.

Any luck on changing the fork?