Smaller tires on the Mission- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Smaller tires on the Mission

I was wondering if anyone tried using narrower tires on the mission.

I tried switching wheels from my HT and it was a lot faster and les pedal.. The HT tires are 2.10 in width. I also weighed the Mission 1 in stock from from the bathroom scale and it weighed 36.2 lbs.. With the Mavic 223 wheels from the HT it weighed dropped a bit over 3 lbs.

I like the width of the stock tires 2.3'' but only for down hill.. But my riding is mostly mixed with single track and fire roads.

Im thinking of getting a set of 2.1'' tires for the regular riding and save the 2.3'' tres for more down hill action.

Anyone tried this? would the regular oem wheel work for a 2.10.. I noticed that the OEM rim in a bit wider than my mavic.

Let the good times roll.
    Whatthe year/model for your Mission, wheels, and tires? That's all relevant into to help answer your question.

I would personally never choose to run 2.1 tires on my Mission. Tire tread design and composition impacts rolling resistance more than width or weight. What most narrow tires will do is make the trail feel harsher as they have less volume to absorb shocks. I'd suggest a mid-width tire with an XC tread for fireroads and mild singletrack; something like the Bontrager XDX 2.4 or Kenda Small Block Eight 2.35. Both tires will be plenty fast in a straight line while still providing decent traction and good bump absorption.

Feel free to try 2.1s if you like, though. They won't pop off the rim or catch fire or anything bizzare. I've done it myself a couple times when my normal tires were ripped and I was waiting for a replacement. I didn't care for the feel, but I had no actual problems. FYI, reported tire sizes can be decieving. Kenda Nevegal 2.1s are only a wee bit narrower than the Maxxis High Roller 2.35 if both are put on the same rim. Just something to keep in mind when you go shopping for new tires.

As for your bike's weight, you may want to check that on a proper scale if you really care about it. 36lb souds excessive (mine is 31lb), and bathroom scales have a reputation for inaccuracy.

mtbr member
    It is the 2007 mission 1. Dont get me wrong I like the traction and stability it provides.

Though smoother pedaling than my HT I did notice I had to work a bit harder on the regular trail I ride. I am sure this is due to the wider tires.

Let the good times roll.
    Those Sun rims are pretty wide and heavy. Like I said above, by all means try narrower tires if you feel that's what you need. My suggestion is still wide, lightweight, fast-rolling tires.

mtbr member
    Thanks man.. I never thought of tires with smaller knobbies.. I do like the traction of the tires but will take your advice.. What kind of decent weight wheels would you recommend?

Should an upgrade still be as wide as the sun rims?

Let the good times roll.
    Another option is to run a fast rolling tire on the back wheel and a grippy knobby like the Maxxis High Roller in front. That's my preferred set up for when I really want to go fast on reasonably smooth terrain. Extra traction is more noticeable up front, and the back tire will still give a noticeable speed boost. The best of both worlds in other words.

I actually just finished up a search for some new wheels, so I can give you plenty of info including where the deals are now. You don't need soemthing as wide as what you have now. Shoot for something in the 26-30mm wide range with a rim weight of 400-600g depending on how aggressively you want to ride. I can give you a complete list of rims, hubs, and complete wheels I have a good opinion of if you like. For now I'll just say that I decided to get these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=40780. They are about 1850g and tubeless. I have some wheels and hubs I'm willing to sell (PM me if you're interested in that).

Singletrack Slayer
    I use a WTB Motoraptor 2.4 on my mission and love them. They are a great all around tire and not as huge or slow as you might think. I love them so much I have used up 4 sets over the last 8 yrs. They will feel great on the sun rims too. I have RynoLites that are that wide and the tire sits perfectly on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    looks great.. I may just go with a 2.3 rear tire with smaller knobbies. like you recommend..
    Last edited by bpowa; 09-13-2009 at 12:00 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0